Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Baby On The Way - Keep Aygo Or Buy Yaris Hybrid?

miss_d_bus

My baby is due in Autumn and I am starting to think about my 3-door MMT Aygo and whether it is going to be practical for my needs.

My Aygo currently suits me for my 30 min run up the motorway each way for work but I don't want to upgrade and find myself with eye-watering running costs when I do return to work.

The problem is that I don't think my 3-door Aygo is big enough, particularly after experiementing with buggies, car seats etc with a friend's little one over the years. We found it to be really difficult without going for a particular Aygo-friendly pram. I really don't to have to go shopping with a back pack just to get a light weight pram that won't hold any shopping or it will tip etc!

I also only have an automatic licence.

My partner feels the Yaris Hybrid is too much money and says I should stick to my 5 year old Aygo. I am concerned as my family are not local, that visiting them might be very difficult and limiting because of the amount of stuff I will need to carry. I already fill up the boot just for myself when I visit by myself.

Can anyone please assist me with making this decision? I think I could afford the Hybrid but well, its about proving my case!

nah - keep the aygo, sell the baby!

simples :thumbsup:

Have you considered any other cars to buy? For example the Honda Jazz is reliable & quite economical (my wife has an old one). I think there is a Hybrid version too if you want to go down that route.

Buy a bigger car. With baby, there is all the added stuff, pram, bag of stuff that you need and the list goes on and on! Perhaps an Auris is the right size for you.

Have you considered any other cars to buy? For example the Honda Jazz is reliable & quite economical (my wife has an old one). I think there is a Hybrid version too if you want to go down that route.

The earlier Jazz had gearbox problems which meant a rebuild at about 50,000 miles. The cost approx. £12,000 !!

The earlier Jazz had gearbox problems which meant a rebuild at about 50,000 miles. The cost approx. £12,000 !!

£12,000? You can buy a brand new Jazz for that! £1,200 maybe?

You don't say if you are looking at new or used (though I guess hybrids are rare used).

As you have an MMT a used Yaris 5d would probably be a good size. For a new one you can have the CVT.

I'm waiting for hybrids to hit the new batteries moment - that's when used prices may take a hammering as all that saving in petrol suddenly turns up in the cost of new ballast :)

So many options but it does appear clear that an Aygo is not ideal as a family car. Now I have to convince the other half....!

I suppose my main objection of buying second-hand was worrying what the previous owner might have done to it. At least from new, I can trust it has been treated well!! I do worry a little about people sitting on the brake no end and wearing up parts that shouldn't really be worn on an MMT.

I have actually driven a 5 door MMT Auris as a loan car when my car was in the garage but found it a bit big compared to what I was used to. Ideally I would like to stick with the smallest I can get away with without my life being a total nightmare and not being able to carry the essentials in the car when visiting family.

So I wonder, is the fuel efficiency of a hybrid that great on a motorway or do they really shine when stuck in traffic in the town centre? I am thinking long term as I will have to go back to work and that involves 20 mins up the motorway.

Thanks!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links