Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

1.4 D-4D Yaris (2007; 90Hp) Performance

furifo

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of picking up a diesel yaris and was wondering what the performance was like. I know that the quoted time is 10.7s to 62mph and I know that it won't win any races but I'm looking for a small car that can cope decently with motorway stretches.

I'm coming from a 1.4 petrol megane (0-62: 11.4s) which had adequate performance provided the revs were high enough but had disappointing in gear performance leading me to have to often hunt around the gearbox for some power.

How is the diesel when pulling away from lights/roundabouts? I've heard of the dreaded turbo lag on small diesels before and was wondering if the yaris suffered from the same problem.

Finally, how is the in-gear pace? 30-50mph in 3rd? 30-50mph in 4th? 50-70mph in 5th? I'm hoping with ~200nm of torque before a remap, the yaris will feel to have better in-gear grunt compared to the petrol megane I'm driving around now.

I've never owned a diesel before but feel that the higher inital buying cost and higher fuel cost per litre will be offset by the increased fuel economy and the mileage I intend to do.

I had a wee spin to Belfast & back on Sunday past in our daughters 1.4 diesel 90 bhp Yaris, the new model but I assume the same engine?

A fast wee article was my impression, an it only has 2500 miles on so not even run in our loosened up.

I had Bother keeping her below 80 odd on the Motorway

But I am not used to "fast" cars

I got my D4D Yaris back in 2008. Previously I had a 1.4 VVT Corolla (97 bhp, 0-62 in 12 sec)

The first thing I noted was that I do not need to hunt for gears anymore (and 2008 engine has only 190Nm torque).

Even in 5th gear at 90-100 km/h it was enough to step on it and it would launch pretty nicely past any regular car that I needed to overtake

(not many highways in this part of the Earth where I live, overtake is the name of the game).

I guess a testdrive should give you enough info.

Best of luck!

I only have the Mk1 D4D but it's a fantastic engine - Strong pull right from a standstill, quickly peaks then starts to dip a bit, then you hit 1800-2000rpm and the turbo kicks in and off you go again :D

Has one of the highest rev-ranges of any diesel I've seen so you can hoon about with late gear changes or drive for economy by shifting early and letting the low-end torque pull you along :)

The D4D has a variable turbo so there is virtually no lag - I do love that I can cruise along in 5th at ~60mph so that it's nicely spun up but if I want to overtake I get near-instant response and suddenly I'm at err-70 :unsure::naughty: and past the overtakee in short order before slipping back into the left lane so the Audi-driving ***** behind can resume his limit-braking run :P

The torque makes steep hills so much more pleasant to go up; As it loads up, the turbo just spins up faster and lets it keeps pulling.

Roundabouts are not a problem - The strong pull means you can get off the line like a whippet and the long rev range means you don't have to worry about that uncomfortable pause you sometimes get in other diesels where you have to change gear at a really inopportune time!

The 1.4 D4D in the Yaris is the same one they use in the Corolla and the Auris but it's in a car that weighs a *lot* less and that is why it's so much fun to drive :D

I will say it's not as nice for long motorway journeys compared to the heavier (and more stable) and more comfy Corolla (And to a lessor extend the Auris) and your backside will not be happy with you, but deffo has the grunt to hold its own!

Thanks for all the helpful replies! Especially you, Cyker. You guys convinced me so much that I went out and bought it and I'm very happy with my purchase.

1st gear = not as good as the petrol megane but that is to be expected. The car feels alot more lively than the 10.7s 0-62 time suggests and in-gear urgency in 3rd and 4th is awesome. Hell, it was even pulling strongly up a hill in 2nd/3rd!

I can definitely feel the torque difference between this diesel and my old petrol. I will admit that the diesel isn't quite as good off the mark as my old petrol megane but once you hit 2nd gear and onwards, the torque just takes over and puts a smile on your face.

I no longer have to worry about hunting around the gearbox for some power thanks to the extra torque available and as such, my motorway journeys have become much more pleasant. Add that to the fact that this car is more comfortable and less noisy than my old car at speed, and I think I've made an excellent purchase.

I don't know where you got the 10.7 0-62mph its 10.4 0-60mph http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/facts-and-figures/toyota/yaris/hatchback-2006/36144/

I have a 405BHP Honda S2000, and the yaris is moderately quick for what it is.

I had a remap and it upped to the power from 90BHP to around 108 and an increase of around 25 lb ft. I have gave a 318d a real good go LOL, ultimately very higher up i would lose.

I noticed with the remap the power doesnt die off and its got more go uptop too,

Glad you enjoy it :D

The Yaris D4D really is a great car :thumbsup:

Yes: and they hardly depreciate at all :-)

As the original poster mentioned the Yaris diesel does not pull away well so can feel sluggish and end up with those moments where you worry....

That is the bad side. The good side is that the motor is a marvel. I have got 630 miles out of one tankful at an average of over 70 mpg and I have also had the wheels spinning out of Clearways at Brands at over 60mph. What other city car would do that?

I have had the superchips conversion though

http://www.superchips.co.uk/search?make=36&fueltype=2&model=145&variant=1826

Just fitted 205 size tyres on the front, now can put the torque down well without too much wheelspin out of corners.

Using the racelogic performance box the times in gear are

30-50 in 3rd - 4.0s

50-70 in 4th - 6.0s

I have a 160 bhp Astra diesel as well and that does those in 3.5 and 5.1 but it doesn't actually feel as quick and I only get 40mpg rather than 60.

I recommend anyone to get the superchips remap for the Yaris, it turns it into a very quick little a to b car. Still has lag pulling away though :)

Andy

Ive got this map down loaded and its made the yaris flex its balls.YarisRemap.jpg9-2.jpg

• 10 years later...

I tried 0-60 in my Yaris and shockingly it did it in 9.8s! Planning to get it remapped soon.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links