Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2.0 D4D Rattle On Start Up

toony

hi all

ive changed the timing belt on my 2005 xtr rav4

but now ive noticed when i start it i get a rattle ,lasts for about half a second

it drives as it should ,no power loss, thought it might ave been a tooth out but like i say it drives sweet

been all over the internet and youtube but cant find the prolem ive got anywere

any ideas would be great

thanks martin.

Welcome to TOC...

Have you made sure that the timing marks were all correct when you did the belt? I take it that you changed the water pump at the same time? Where is the sound coming from? Top/bottom of engine? maybe the alternator drive belt? or injector rattle?... Take a vid with sound so we can take a look/see...

May be an idea to plug in a fault code reader to see if that shows anything up...

thanks for the reply

did not change water pump just all the belts and all marks lined up ,wound the engine round a couple of time with my ratchet but still cant help and worry its a tooth out ,dint know if it would still run sweet and the ecu adjust for the timing error ?

its done about 2000mile like this just want to sort it once and for all,

cant seam to pin point the rattle by ear

will make a vid and post it cant at the mo as rav not here with me

hi all ive changed the timing belt on my 2005 xtr rav4 but now ive noticed when i start it i get a rattle ,lasts for about half a second it drives as it should ,no power loss, thought it might ave been a tooth out but like i say it drives sweet been all over the internet and youtube but cant find the prolem ive got anywere any ideas would be great thanks martin.

be sure you ve installed it and positionned correctly.

even minor teeth deviation might create (subject to injectors are perfect):

- rattle ----earl injection timing

- white smoke -- at late timing

regards / Igor

I think Anchs mentioned something about this? A rav owner came on and said he could not line up the timming marks correctly they were always half a tooth out, Anchs mentioned you have to turn the engine/crank round again and then they line up.

It may even be in the pinned cam belt change Topic..???

but would it run sweet as a nut with the timing out ?

i would have thought it would run like a bag ***** unless like i say the ecu has tryed to sort it out

duno im stumped

Not sure if half a tooth is a lot? I'd like to know though as I'll be doing mine soon, unless my DMF fails 1st :lol:

You sure you've left no spanners in there?

ive recorded the noise but dont know how to upload it on here

any 1 know how

ive recorded the noise but dont know how to upload it on here

any 1 know how

If you cant do it on here then put it on youtube and post a link...

That sounds like a V6 Petrol compaired to my clattery D4D diesel mate............ :thumbsup:

Have you just got the normal exhaust on the rav?

I cant hear anything wrong with that! You sure its not the started motor you can hear after its engaged on the started ring and then returned back into the motor?

i dont know im going to have a good look tomorrow will pop the cam belt covers off to make sure for defo that timing marks are ok

i;l let ya know what i find :dontgetit:

i dont know im going to have a good look tomorrow will pop the cam belt covers off to make sure for defo that timing marks are ok

Gotta agree with Taff on that one Martin.....no real problem heard, except possibly an expelling of air each time it starts from somewhere.....?

Big Kev

Sounds just like mine...only mine may fire up slightly quicker.

I'm no expert....but i hear nothing wrong ??

"Pop the cam belt covers off" - that's a good one!

Don't bother. You've got "listening too hard in case I did something wrong" syndrome. I can't hear anything either. They sometimes clatter a little bit louder than normal until the oil light goes off but that is normal.

it is definitely late injection timing

i know its not right

not looked yet got man flu lol

• 4 weeks later...

thought i'd update you

well it turns out i was right it does have a rattle that should not be there, turns out its the alternator belt tensioner pully

if i take the belt off and start it up no rattle put it back on rattle on start up , ive put a new bearing in the pully wheel but it aint done nothing, if i take a little bit of tension of the pully with my 14mm spanner no rattle

went on eBay as you do £100-£150 for a new one OUCH so let it rattle on start up i say or i may try a 5mm smaller belt just to see if the extra tension sorts it

thanks maartin

Is there any real point in doing the belt without doing the water pump ?? On many cars its the water pump that goes and that throws the belt ? On Fords it is anyway..

OK it means the belt is at little or no risk but still a chance of the pump causing damage ??

Not too bad on these Charlie as it is belt driven on the outside so if it did go you can pop the belt off and just change the pump. The manual says engine out for a water pump but you can actually do it with it in.

If it were timing belt driven like a 4.2 then check it at the first change (60k) and change it at the second (120k).

might be worth worth checking the oil strainer in the sump depending on your mileage mine blocked up causing knocking and knacked 2 pistons mine had 130k apparently they do suffer from this and ive since found out toyota changed the strainer from a half sphere shaped one to a flat one with a little slot in it which to my mind is asking for probs you may have caught it in the early stage hope im not being too much doom and gloom the only way to check is sump off regards mark