Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Problems? How

Simon Dean

I''ve seen the following reports on honestjohn-

Increased Oil consumption for Petrols and Diesels.

Headlight bulb holders melting.

Clutches failing (esp T180)

Glow Plugs failing on 4 year old D-4Ds

Turbos failing on D-4D's

High Level Brake Lights Failing

Head Gasket Failures on 2.0 Diesels and Head problems on 2.2 diesels apparently caused by water pump failure

DPF problems

How common are these in 2006+ Avensis either 1.8 Petrol, or 2.0 or 2.2 diesels? TBF if I read reports of other cars, I wouldn't even touch my car. But I guess it probably means I should keep what I got if I trust it and run it into ground. It appears other cars suffer from other catastrophic problems. Qashcais can suffer from loss of steering and various electrical faults, Primera P12 failing clutches, heavy clutches, failing transmission, Mazda 6 - timing chain stretching, oil contamination from fuel, dpf problems causing other faults.

What a flaming minefield.

Can the Avensis be reliable? Still really want to buy one.

Of course the Avensis can be reliable, if you look all cars have their problems some more than others, Toyota are better than most. :D

You`ve a PM Simon

Had my last Avensis (petrol) for 5 yrs.Only ever needed tyres,brake pads and yearly service.

Most of the problems in that list are just the normal issues with modern Diesels, bar the headlight bulbs and clutch. Oil issue on the Petrol is age dependent.

I wouldn't typically expect the water pump to go though, and I've heard something about "death rattles" on some of these engines? Im looking at an 07 plate 1.8 Petrol with 46k on the clock.

Ideally I'd prefer a 2.0 or 2.2 litre diesel for the chance at extra economy. I do only do around 10k per annum and Im familiar enough with cars to keep everything in check (spark plug/glow plugs/leads/coolant etc, thermostats, oil changes. do the work myself).

How common are these issues? Are they mostly just scare stories that will happen to a badly maintained car? Are they infrequent? Or do these issues quite frequently occur?

Thanks

Simon

Increased Oil consumption for Petrols and Diesels.

pre 2006 1.8 VVTis & D4Ds that develop/have HG problem
Headlight bulb holders melting.
think that this was fixed in facelift T25s (mid-2006 on)
Clutches failing (esp T180)
can't say that I've seen many reports of failed clutches on T25s on this forum. Certainly not as common as failed DSGs on VW group cars ...
Glow Plugs failing on 4 year old D-4Ds
with how many miles on them? again can't say that it's come to my attention over the couple of years that I've been on here & don't think any worse than competitors
Turbos failing on D-4D's
don't think any more than any other turbodiesel. BMW has a far bigger issue with turbo failure.
High Level Brake Lights Failing
again doesn't seem to be common on here - sure that there have been some but probably no more than any other car
Head Gasket Failures on 2.0 Diesels and Head problems on 2.2 diesels apparently caused by water pump failure
This is the "out of the norm" failure for Toyota compared to competitors. 2.2s seem more prone. Only Toyota know the exact percentage that develop it but on this forum over all the car models that use the 2.0 & 2.2 D4D we are looking at complaints in the low 10s rather than 100s - I wouldn't be surprised if the failure rate is well under 1%. Toyota have instituted an extended warranty for it to 7 years or 112k miles.
DPF problems
no more than any other td fitted with 1, in fact I would say less problematic than many other manufacturer's. In the UK on T25s pretty much only fitted to T180s (there are some others but very few)

Other than the small no. of D4Ds that develop the hg problem I think that you are pretty safe with a facelifted T25 or at least as safe as with any competitors equivalent.

They have their niggles (poor oem headlight bulbs & that are a pain to get at to change, adequate oem brakes rather than good etc.)

I've said on your other thread that for 10k miles per year I would be looking at petrol so if that 1.8 looks good/drives well, has fsh etc. & the spec. & price suit you ...

I just wouldn't be saving very much in economy over my current car, with the published figures going for the 1.8 vvt-i. I find it hard to fathom that a 2001 car has much the same economy as a 2007 car.

Hence the big attraction of diesel. Although my journeys are mostly city, they're all 10 mile minimum, if that matters.

The ValveMatic petrol on the other hand, if I could scrape together another £2k.

It looks like going for something 2007+ should give lesser problems as they should be resolved, but covered under the TSB.

Thanks guys for your help.

Simon