Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

An Iq Called Toya

craggle

Hi Craig great write up and I too have spent a little while reading up on how you have "personalized" your IQ.

I am a new to this forum and a recent IQ purchaser and have the 1.33 VVT petrol manual same as you. I would like to do the spark plugs on my car and have already purchased the upgraded plugs and I am OK with the spanners just not that patient..

Having had a nosey around it does appear that the whole inlet manifold and TB needs to be removed. There looks like a naughty bolt in the centre of the inlet manifold that looks really tricky and the rest is just connectors, pipes and hoses ???

It really should have been designed to be a little easier but modern engines / sparking plugs are also designed go much further than 25-30 years ago..

I would therefore really appreciate a been there, seen it, done it guide to help me and any other 1.33l owners for future reference.

I also want to lower my car and change out the whole suspension, shocks and springs but that will have to wait for now.

Be good to hear from you... "sorry to read about your screen also looks like a £60 - £90 excess to sort that me thinks..."

Stu James

Yes, Paid my £75 excess and it's being replaced but not until the 11th of March. That was the soonest Autoglass could do. Not sure if they are just busy or if the iQ is a hard to get hold of screen. Need one with the rain sensor too so that adds an option although you'd think the screens would be the same for all models?

I will do a write up about the spark plug change soon. Some of the nuts for the manifold are fiddly but not too bad with the right tools.

Craig.

Hi Craig thank you for your reply..

Its annoying when a stone hits you screen and you have to fork out hard earnt to sort it... It usually raining and stones ping up often from trucks or commercial vehicles in my experience.. Still £75 aint so bad just annoying if your screen was A1 prior..

I am keen to do the plugs and as mentioned on the main string it looks like a centre bolt on the inlet manifold looks very trick for access to remove. Are the gasket rubber or card/paper on throttle body / inlet manifold and did you change yours out or simply re-use the original...

Thanks for your help thus far

Regards

Stu James

Hi Stu

For the manifold bolts I used a 3/8" drive socket set and a universal joint on the end so I could get the socket square on the nut. They aren't all that tight so they came off fairly easily. Removing them without dropping them is the key but a magnet on a stick helps with that.

I didn't drain the coolant either as you can undo the bolts that hold the throttle body in place, Unclip the pipes and maybe remove the cable and just move it aside. I did remove the air inlet and filter cover as that only clips in place and getting it out the way provides more space.

I need to look under the bonnet now to remember what else I removed. :)

Oh, The gasket on the manifold is a soft rubber affair so simply cleaned it a bit, cleaned the mating faces and re-used it. Throttle body seal was the same. Only bits I replaced was the spark plugs themselves.

I used a bit of copper grease anti seize on the threads of my spark plugs but the ones that came out were not stuck and looked as if they were fitted dry. You may need the magnet on the stick again to pull the plugs out the holes as they are quite deep in the engine.

I'll open the bonnet later and see if I can remember any more useful tips. :)

Craig.

Hi Craig thanks for the update and response.

OK so the way you completed the job gives me the confidence to give it a bash just need to dig out the old UJ 3/8 socket sure me has one..

So basically just remove all pipes and clips that are fixed to the "inlet plastic oval" remove the TB and the main bolts on the inlet and I guess you just remove the inlet to gain access to the coil packs with plugs under. Sounds so easy when you type it out :laughing:

You have given me the confidence to have a go Craig so I will let you know how I get on chap.

Thanks again for your help

Stu J

• 2 weeks later...

Well, No new windscreen today unfortunately. Had a call this morning saying the mobile fitter wasn't in today so they have had to postpone until next Monday now.

I did start taking the car apart as well to save him some time and because I like to take bits off myself as I know where all the clips and latches are so I'm more confident I'll get them off without damage.

Took the plastic trim off the base of the windscreen though and noticed the rubber boots around the wiper spindles were all split and torn.

I'm guessing in this condition water will be able to find it's way onto the mechanism and bearings below the spindle so I will be replacing them for new but thought it was worth mentioning as I'm guessing most iQ's around the age of mine will be in a similar state.

I'll let you know the part number and price of new ones when I find them.

(The photos were taken before I cleaned it, it's all nice and clean now) :)

Craig.

post-116364-0-68293700-1426106662_thumb.

post-116364-0-85035100-1426106674_thumb.

post-116364-0-57651600-1426106686_thumb.

• Like 1

Thanks Craig. Which other parts will you remove in preparation for the replacement? I'm actually booked in for a new windscreen and would be happier pulling the plastics apart myself, so any help would be appreciated!

Chris

2012 iQ² with red leather upholstery ☆ upgraded interior lighting ☆ white backlit dashboard/switches ☆ auto-folding mirrors ☆ smart entry ☆ auto-locking doors ☆ chrome exhaust ☆

Hi Chris

I had removed both the window pillar internal trim panels, The window wipers, the two rubber covers in the lower corners of the screen, the black plastic cover under the wipers, the interior mirror, the rain sensor and my dash cam.

They are all fairly easy to remove and the mirror is held on with a single Torx screw underneath the mount. I couldn't see how the plastic trim comes off the sides of the glass so assume it's pushed on before the screen is glued in place.

It's all back together now though and the appointment on Monday is at the depot rather than a mobile service at home so I think I'm just going to have to drive there and offer my services in taking it apart. I have an hour to wait after the screen is glued before driving it again so was going to suggest I reassemble everything and I'll take my cleaning kit and giver her a polish up while I'm waiting. :)

Craig.

Thanks Craig, that's really helpful. Do you have any tips on removing each of those items? Sorry, I'm asking too much! I'm just afraid to damage the plastics/clips.

Chris

2012 iQ² with red leather upholstery ☆ upgraded interior lighting ☆ white backlit dashboard/switches ☆ auto-folding mirrors ☆ smart entry ☆ auto-locking doors ☆ chrome exhaust ☆

When is your screen replacement happening Chris?

Hopefully mine will be sorted tomorrow so I'll try to take some notes and let you know what needs removing and how they unclip.

Was at my garage today and it was reasonably dry so I decided to put the summer tyres back on for the year. Hopefully the frosts and risk of snow have passed now.

When I took the wheels off at the end of last year I marked which wheel was on the front and which ones were on the back. I have directional tyres so I didn't need to mark left and right. This year they have been reversed so last year fronts are now on the back and vice-versa.

Craig.

post-116364-0-55148500-1426441694_thumb.

New screen looks great. Pilkington glass this time but very good match for the Toyota original and they fitted new plastic trim strips up the sides and along the top of the screen.

Very good service from Autoglass in Crawley and the chap doing the job didn't mind that I had stripped some of the trim off myself and he let me in the workshop to put it back together in the hour I needed to wait for the sealer to dry.

I removed the rain sensor. The cover for the cable simply slides downwards then unclips. There is a clip on the underside of the sensor that slides downwards and allows you to remove it from the metal bracket on the screen. Do not be tempted to touch the smooth surface of the sensor. Place it in a clean container and put a lid on it to keep it dust free.

The cable cover for the mirror comes off in the same way, slide the top part down the cable then unclip it from the mirror mounting. There is a small Torx screw under the mirror arm that removes that from the metal plate on the glass.

I removed the side pillar trims but the chap said it wasn't really needed as they remove the screen from the outside. If you want to remove them you pull off the door seal then pull the trim covers off starting at the top. There is a yellow clip you will see as you pull it away and you need to get a pair of pliers in there and rotate it 90° so it unclips from the trim panel. The panel can then be pulled out and uncliped from the dash top.
When refitting these covers don't forget to rotate the yellow clips back 90° as they retain the cover in the event of the side airbag being deployed.

Remove the covers from the base of the wiper arms carefully, they do just pull upwards and then undo the nuts holding the wiper arms in place and pull off the wipers. Remember which one is left and right.

The trim at each lower corner of the screen needs pulling upwards to release it from a plug type clip then the bottom can be slid towards the centre of the car unhooking it from another clip on the wing top and pulling the top down off the side trims on the glass.

Under the bonnet is three plastic panels that unclip from the bigger plastic panel at the base of the screen. Unclip these panels and take them out complete with the rubber seal. You need to pull the ends of the seal to unhook it from a plastic hook and there is a clip for the seal in the centre. This one I leave in place but stretch the seal off the clip by pulling it one way and unhooking it.

Finally the plastic panel at the base of the screen can come off. There is one plastic plug at each end of the panel. Push the centre pin upwards from underneath and remove the clips. The panel then just pulls off some clips in the centre and unhook it from under the screen.

Hope that helps, It's fairly straight forward to be honest once you get going. :)

Craig.

post-116364-0-89080700-1426527758_thumb.

Cool, glad it all went smoothly :fox: .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Craig, thanks for taking your time to write such a detailed post. Really appreciate it.

Unfortunately, my Autoglass experience was a bit of messy one. Technician arrived on location 2 hours early, then was unwilling to do the work, told me how he doesn't get paid enough and gave me no option than to drive quite some distance to their workshop. I just went along with it for a quiet life...

Still, your guide to removing the plastics was excellent - The rain sensor was as far as I could get before I was told I wasn't allowed in the workshop. Thanks again!

Chris

That's a shame Chris, Seems the mobile service is something they really don't like to do!

Glad it's done though and hopefully you're happy with the work. Tedious wait in the depot isn't it!

I got my replacement rubber boots for the wipers so will post pictures and part numbers of those soon and I ordered another bit I've been after for some time but thought I'd order it while they are still available. I'll keep this secret until it arrives. :)

Craig.

Do you have the part numbers for the new boots, please?

As for the secret part - I hope you *do* reveal it while they're still available!

Chris

Right, Here is a picture of the wiper boots that were damaged on my car.

The part number is 85154-74010 and you need two of them to do both sides. They cost me £22.90 for the pair which is a lot but probably cheaper than replacing the wiper shaft bearings when water gets into them and they seize up.

They come with a smudge of grease on the inside of them to lubricate the shaft where it passes through the rubber boot but I decided to add a bit more to the shaft before fitting it so found my big tub of red rubber grease and applied it before fitting the boot in place.

Craig.

post-116364-0-74606800-1428424903_thumb.

post-116364-0-14265500-1428424919_thumb.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links