Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Dual Mass Flywheel

Jonbee

Here we go again. I've had a RAV4 4D4 2004 for 5 years and I love it, but these DMFs certainly take the biscuit! Replaced my first at 45000 and got no interest from Toyota, and I tried very hard. Now, today I have been informed that this now needs replacing at 72000. Again no warning that it going to fail, just a bang and that was it! This is a none servicable part hidden in the very depths of the engine and Toyota just says it's a part that has a shelf life. 45000 for the first one and 32000 for the second, some shelf life.

Rant over, just thought I would share it with you...

Hi Jonbee,

Sounds very familiar, and at almost identical mileages! . . . I'm reposting this, which may be of help. Do a Search on the RAV4 forum for other write-ups about Blueprint SMF.

A brief long-term report on how my conversion to a BlueprintSMF has faired . . .

RAV4.2 D4D, new Aug.2003

Original DMF and clutch gave up after 52k mi, and 4years 3months.

Final symptoms were vibration and rumbling at low/med revs, and quite unpleasant gear changes, and poor hill starts. The usual slight jingly-jangly noises began, as did hours of reading on the web about DMF failures worldwide.

In the hope that Toyota's "modified" DMF would sort the problem, I fitted a complete Toyota DMF and clutch kit (also "modified"), at about 400euro for the kit. Old DMF had plenty of rotational backlash (around 20deg rotation), and the friction plate was down to its rivets. The replacement worked OK, and at least as well as the original, until 25k miles (and 1y 8m) later, when the clutch spectacularly started slipping, and then lost all drive a day later.

Enough was enough, and I decided to fit a SMF conversion, in July 2009. Valeo (UK) HQ were really helpful, and apologised for not being able to supply a SMF 4-piece kit for the Toyota, even though they listed these "alternative" kits for most other makes of vehicle. Some diplomatic questioning suggested that this lack of a Toyota kit was for commercial rather than technical reasons, and they wouldn't expand further. I can only assume that Valeo supply Toyota with something or other, and...

So, the Toyota DMF was removed. Flywheel had only around 5deg of backlash, but the friction plate was utterly shredded: fibreglass string and powdered resin-based lining all over the place.

We fitted Blueprint's 4-part SMF kit, ADT330206, with no problems. Kit cost was approx 250euro. That was at 68k mi, July 2009. The vehicle now has 87,500mi on the clock, as of today, Nov.2011. ***

So, what is the SMF like to drive? It drives just like a normal clutch should be - gentle, progressive and predictable, and, so far, reliable. I never liked the original DMF/clutch action (nor its "modified" replacement): hill starts were difficult without high revs, and progress was somewhat lurchy and lumpy at low revs (1000-1200), which a decent diesel should do without issue. I have NEVER worn out a clutch in my life (driving since 1966), and taken more than one vehicle up to 200k mi. When we bought the RAV new in 2003, I even managed to stall it three times when backing it off the showroom floor!

I haven't noticed any increase in vibration, even at tickover and and very low revs. The SMF just seems to work.

Chris

*** Current mileage is 91k (Mar.2012)

Thanks for the comments and suggestion. I had a chat to my garage today and he suggested a single flywheel kit. I told him to go ahead and I'm pleased that you have found it ok. I have recently retired and bought a caravan so this is probably the best option.

Hi Jonbee,

A decent (SMF) clutch should make caravan towing a pleasure, and one less thing to worry about. Please let us know how you get on with the conversion.

Chris

Hi Chris, picked the car up today and had it out for a bit of a drive. It maybe because the old DMF was on the way out but it seems so much quieter and sharper. A pleasure to drive. Thanks for your input. John

That was quick work! Presumably the Blueprint kit?

Glad to hear it's doing what it should do again.

Chris

Do you mind me asking the new clutch was, all in fitted?

Ours is fine at the moment but the wife is clocking up miles like there is no tomorrow so I just want to have options should the clutch let go.

Cheers

Martin

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links