Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Automatic Gearbox Fluid

duncanda

Decided to check the automatic transmission fluid on my 2003, 52,000 mile TX-3. It's light brown in colour, not bright red. Do you think the car would benefit from a fluid change?

Change the fluid asap mate!... It should be a red/pink colour. Not sure if this is the correct fluid? But its a point to start from... http://www.opieoils....-fluid-atf.aspx

http://www.opieoils....atf-sp-iii.aspx

http://www.opieoils....anese-cars.aspx

A brown color indicates that the oil is either burnt of losing its protective qualities!...

Hi!

the automatic gear fluid changes at 45000km (approx 28000 miles). it is written in the book.

please check if it was done before, if not go ASAP and change the oil and the filter also.

good luck!

My book doesn't say to change it at a specific mileage, only if it is subject to certain conditions. Since the fluid is brown though I've decided to change it anyway. Anyone know where the drain plug is?

hi!

you need to change also the filter inside the gear box

A.

Changed the auto gearbox fluid. The existing stuff was as dark as year old engine oil. Replaced with nice red fluid and took a couple of hours all in. Remove the near-side partial plastic under-tray and then there are two 10mm hex drain plugs to remove. The one on the auto box sump contains the majority of the fluid (2 litres) and there's one about 6 inches away on the aluminium bell housing and this contains about 0.5 litre. This drain plug also has a magnet, so clean off any metal.

hi,

great! i usually go to toyota service for this! :) so congrats!

what about the filter? it is mandatory to change together with the oil. did you change it?

Hi Adrian D. I didn't change the filter. I assume it's in the gearbox sump.

My Toyota service manual states every three years or 30,000 miles.

If brown and / or smells like burnt toast it should be changed regardless (the fluid is not that expensive)

Make sure you check level with engine running taking into account the hot and cold marks.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links