Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Temperature Indicator

elt96jlm

Hi!

My name is Jon and I lives in Sweden. I am just about to buy an IQ and have tried two, the first was a 1.0 manual, and the second a 1.33 manual.

I noticed that in the 1.33, there was a "cool engine temperature" indikator that lit in green until the engine got warm. I didn't see that in the 1.0.

Does it has to do with the 1.33 was a 2010 and the 1.0 a 2009 or has it to do with the engine type?

Thanks in advance!

Jon

Hi!

My name is Jon and I lives in Sweden. I am just about to buy an IQ and have tried two, the first was a 1.0 manual, and the second a 1.33 manual.

I noticed that in the 1.33, there was a "cool engine temperature" indikator that lit in green until the engine got warm. I didn't see that in the 1.0.

Does it has to do with the 1.33 was a 2010 and the 1.0 a 2009 or has it to do with the engine type?

Thanks in advance!

Jon

Hi Jon, Welcome to the forum. I have the 1.0 manual. As you say, on the dash at start up the green cool warning light is displayed, this goes out when the engine reaches its operating temperature. For us that's usually within about a mile, maybe just over, of travel. Unfortunately once this is out there is no light or any other indication to say what the engine temp is. Very inconvenient I think.

As for the 1.33, someone who owns one will need to help you, I'm sure they will soon. I don't know if the model year has anything to do with it either, as our car is a late 2009 model. I'm sure you will, like the majority of iQ owners, just love the car when you get driving it regular. There is a possibility that the 1.0 version you took out for a test drive had an already warmed up engine? They cool down relatively quickly too. Within the hour I think.

Hope this helps.

Regards, BobH.

My 2010 iQ3 with the 1.3 engine has the same indicator. It shows cool for the first 5 minutes or so then it goes out once warm. There is also a hot warning light that glows red I think if the engine overheats but I haven't seen that one and hopefully never will.

I would also guess the 1.0 you drive was already warm, I believe it's a standard feature on all iQ's.

It would be a fairly simple task to fit an aftermarket water temp gauge but to be honest, do you really need it? I know when it's cold and when it's too hot and that is really enough for me.

Craig.

Guys, please remember that just because the cool sign has gone from the dash, it doesn't mean to say that the car has warmed up enough for some spirited driving. ;)

Fish

Guys, please remember that just because the cool sign has gone from the dash, it doesn't mean to say that the car has warmed up enough for some spirited driving. ;)

Fish

Spirited driving Dan? In an iQ? Fair do's. I don't think that's possible in our 1.0, although, I do like the sound of it when it's being driven in a spirited way. The roads around here are too damn bumpy. If you have another vehicle passing on the opposite side of the road and you have to move over to the left for clearance, the drainage grids at the left side of the road are frickin canyons! The problem being when they resurface with new tarmac and stones, they don't elevate the grids too, which they should. Imagine some poor bikest riding on his pushy, and then WHAM! Over the front wheel he goes. And why? Because the bone idle, lazy, penny pinching B'stards can't be bothered to do the job properly. And it ruins the suspension too. Then there is the crappy repairs they do these days. Enough moaning from me, back off my soapbox.

The 1.33 manual, loves being dropped a couple of cogs for overtaking. It really does go well when revved :)

Gentlemen!

Thanks for your comments!

I Will get back as soon as/if there is a purchase!

BR

Jon

I haven't revved my 1.3 past 2500 revs yet, Maybe I need to get the revs up a bit? Kind of used to a 4.6 V8 so lots of torque but not so good at revving.

Not saying I want to drive everywhere at silly speeds, just occasionally. :)

Craig.

The rev limiter cuts in just over 6000 revs, you can't really over rev them. Not like older cars where you could rev it 1000rpm past the red line :)

Hello again!

Today I purchased an IQ2 in metallic black and with the style package together with optional exhaust, and footwell lights. Its from 2009 and has gone 14000km, approx 8700 miles.

I bought it at a Toyota dealer. I also got the turnable boot carpet (rubber/fabric) with it upon request. I am very satisfied so far!

I also noticed that there was the cool engine temperature indicator in the lamp as you thought.

Anyhow! Seems like a very nice little car for me and the second half :-)

BR

Jon

Hello again!

Today I purchased an IQ2 in metallic black and with the style package together with optional exhaust, and footwell lights. Its from 2009 and has gone 14000km, approx 8700 miles.

I bought it at a Toyota dealer. I also got the turnable boot carpet (rubber/fabric) with it upon request. I am very satisfied so far!

I also noticed that there was the cool engine temperature indicator in the lamp as you thought.

Anyhow! Seems like a very nice little car for me and the second half :-)

BR

Jon

Nice one Jon. Hope you and your second half have many years of enjoyable motoring in your iQ. Bet it looks nice in Black. Any pictures? We like pictures on here. Is this iQ2 a 1.0 or... ? Manual? Footwell lights.... mmmhhhmmmm -that's a Homer Simpson mmmhhhmmmm, without the drool.

My 1.33 multidrive goes fairly well, especially if you put the pedal to the floor.

My 1.33 multidrive goes fairly well, especially if you put the peddle to the floor.

Or pedal ;)

1 liter version has the COOL engine indicator.

I might suggest, that it still consumes more fuel as "cool" for one or two minutes more, after the indicator goes off.

If you're from Sweden, you too anticipate harsh winters. In my experience a delta in 10 degrees Celsium outdide temperature can mean 1 liter per 100 km fuel consumtion difference.

Cheers,

_ I have a small iq _

Hello,

Yes I have now seen in my IQ that it has the cool engine indicator. There has been some cold days in Sweden now ( was minus 3 deg celsius today) so I experienced the indicator to be on for a little longer time. personally I quite like the function compared to the usual analog gauges. I had exactly the same function in my previous hobby vehicle which was a Buick -65. That car too had a cool and hot indicators.

Today I picked up fog light chrome rings, a first aid kit and a IQ smart key cover in black mica at the local Toyota dealer.

Over and out,

Jon