Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gearbox/clutch Issues

Louisej

Hi

I have a 58 plate aygo and have never had any problems with it until recently.

I have noticed that it has become increasingly difficult to go from 1st gear to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd etc etc but no problems moving down gears. When I put the car into reverse it produces an almighty crunching sound, like I'm not pressing the clutch down properly (which I am).

The issues with moving up a gear is becoming worse and worse every day and it has got to the point that whilst trying to move from 1st to 2nd, my car is slowing down that much with the delay that I've nearly stoppped by the time it actually goes into gear.

It feels as though something is stopping it going into gear but not sure what. Also, must add that occasionally, but not always, when I press the clutch in it feels like it clicks.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? Im really worried because I know it will be expensive to fix and I just don't have the money for it. Has anyone had this problem before? If so, how much did it cost to fix? Just to add, my warranty was 3 years so it has expired and so there is no chance of claiming through that.

You should not drive with the car in this condition as you will damage the syncro on 1st and 2nd gear. The clutch is cable adjusted and this should be checked and adjusted. If this is not the answer then it looks like a new clutch. The clutch has been a big problem until the Yaris clutch was introduced as a replacement but a lot depends on he mileage on the car.

Sounds like that a clutch problem to me rather than a gear linkage one! Unless that has has some work done to it? How far up does the clutch pedal come before you start to move off? If its almost at the top of the stroke then it sound like the clutch friction plate has worn down.

You could be able to contact Toyota and as if there is any guestures of good will that they can afford you, if its had a service history from the main dealer? Have you checked for any gear box oil loss? Or had it changed? Worth taking a look see at that. I would not drive the car untill its all sorted as like sais above this could cause the synco's to fail on the box.

Good luck with it...

Cheers

Taff

I've just developed this very issue on my 5-year-old Aygo Black (petrol!) The reverse gear has always been a bit crunchy but the forward gears always as smooth as you like. I'm out of warranty too :(

hiya new to this forum. just after a bit of info I have got an aygo 1.0 ltr mmt to work on for a family member and the clutch is slipping and smells really hot there are'nt any unusual noises. I have changed loads of clutches in the past on fords and vauxhalls etc but I am unsure on this one as it has a lot of multiplugs on the gear box is there a certain way to remove the gearbox or does the ecu etc need all the peramiters resetting. It is on a 58 plate and only has 8500miles on the clock any info would be grately recieved.

cheers.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I took have a 2008 Aygo and the clutch has just gone at 30,000, release bearing. Couldn't get it into gear at all, just managed to get it to the dealer. However, Toyota didn't want to know because I didn't have my last service which was due last August. I couldn't believe it could go at that kind of mileage, and am totally disillusioned with the build quality now. Ended up costing £577! which I just couldn't afford. They said that was their trade price which I don't believe! they have put in the newer clutch which the newer models have which says it all really.....

Good luck and hope they are more sympathetic with you!

hiya new to this forum. just after a bit of info I have got an aygo 1.0 ltr mmt to work on for a family member and the clutch is slipping and smells really hot there are'nt any unusual noises. I have changed loads of clutches in the past on fords and vauxhalls etc but I am unsure on this one as it has a lot of multiplugs on the gear box is there a certain way to remove the gearbox or does the ecu etc need all the peramiters resetting. It is on a 58 plate and only has 8500miles on the clock any info would be grately recieved.

cheers.

Hi There.

Here goes......

I'm interested in this myself as I'm expecting to change mine when it eventually needs doing.

Long story short......after reading the Haynes manual very carefully, I thought that it was a case of removing the front bumper, then all the plugs

then drop out gearbox oil followed by driveshafts then remove gearbox as normal.

THEN...... The actual pressure plate is self adjusting for height.

If you have access to a hydraulic press, you can reset the small spring loaded mechanism on the cover plate.

(If you buy a new cover plate / friction plate assembly, they come ready set at the correct height).

SO......I thought. Gearbox out......swap in full new clutch.

plug everything back together.

However......I've been told on here, that there is a procedure before starting all this.

Another procedure after you've done it all.

I don't know if this is true or what the procedure is.

I currently don't want to take the gamble of a full clutch swap then start the engine to find the

clutch / gearbox won't work without taking to a main dealer to be told it'll all have to be done again.

PLEASE......If you do it yourself could you tell me the outcome?

Thanks.

Ian.

• 2 weeks later...

cheers.

Hi There.

Here goes......

I'm interested in this myself as I'm expecting to change mine when it eventually needs doing.

Long story short......after reading the Haynes manual very carefully, I thought that it was a case of removing the front bumper, then all the plugs

then drop out gearbox oil followed by driveshafts then remove gearbox as normal.

THEN...... The actual pressure plate is self adjusting for height.

If you have access to a hydraulic press, you can reset the small spring loaded mechanism on the cover plate.

(If you buy a new cover plate / friction plate assembly, they come ready set at the correct height).

SO......I thought. Gearbox out......swap in full new clutch.

plug everything back together.

However......I've been told on here, that there is a procedure before starting all this.

Another procedure after you've done it all.

I don't know if this is true or what the procedure is.

I currently don't want to take the gamble of a full clutch swap then start the engine to find the

clutch / gearbox won't work without taking to a main dealer to be told it'll all have to be done again.

PLEASE......If you do it yourself could you tell me the outcome?

Thanks.

Ian.

Ref auto mmt gearbox, there is a special procedure (no detailed info tho) outlined here ----- http://www.bba-reman.com/forums/topic111588-1-1.aspx

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links