Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Pls Help: Yellow Engine Light Is On After Middle Part Of Exhaust Repla

jason_chinasz

Hi, My friends here. Please help......

My Toyota is 2002 toyota corolla 1.6t3 vvti hatchback AUTOMATIC.

Last November, I send my car to garage because my middle exhaust was broken and resulted in big noisy and very little power. the garage said my middle part of exhaust has to be changed, ok. they replace the middle part of exhaust (under the front seat the middle exhaust part)and charged me 450 pounds for that.

This February I found the engine is on, it might was on before Feb because I don't pay attention to the watch, then I sent back to garage, the garage didn't found the problem but switch it off(they didn't charge me for checking). In march, the engine light come back on again and then the garage check it and said it might caused by sensor(he show me one is on the engine part and one is under the driver seat), they said it won't effect driving and suggest me they can help me to change 2 sensor if the light on again ((they didn't charge me for checking and they quoted me 1 sensor about 150pound). This time i took a picture shows as below what the computer show the fault is.

2 days after that, the light was on again again so I went to kwit-fit and shows them the computer examined picture, they told me because the exhaust replacement is not the toyota genuine origin manufacture one and he said there are lots of toyota got this problem because non- toyota genuine replacement, so the air doesn't smoothly get thought the exhaust, he said there is nothing about the sensor, they said it won't effect my driving and just need to turn yellow off in garage before my car send to do MOT every year.

Honestly, I am very worry about the engine on this case, could you please advise what should I do? i have some following questions.

1. can you please tell me what does the picture problem means? is it this problem cuased by exhaust replacement?

2. does this problem very normal due to non-exhaust replacement replaced?

3. does it has any relative with sensor ? how much will they cost? will the yellow engine light off if i change both senor (one is on the engine part and one is under the driver seat)?

4, whose responsibility for this fault??? does the garage who replaced exhaust part for me has the responsibility to this fault ? because the light was on before the replacement.

Please give me as more as advises you can help me with this. Thanks you very much.

post-101835-0-49895900-1333284826_thumb.

Sounds to me like it is the reading from the oxygen sensor that is flagging the fault code in your picture, which in turn triggers the engine management light on your dashboard.

Your car will not pass an MOT with this light on. So you either get it fixed properly, or hope that a friendly testing station can assist in providing the documentation needed with a Pass showing after the emissions test.

I'm not qualified in this area, but I really don't think it will be doing your engine any real harm, but I'm happy to be corrected if I am wrong here. It may however, have a slight affect on fuel consumption? Also, could affect the condition of the Cat Convertor, although you wouldn't know as the light is already on.

I cannot tell you personally if this fault happens every time a non-genuine part is used on cars as yours, as my car is different. But I can tell you that using non-genuine or non-standard parts can affect the running of the car in many different ways due to differing specs of parts and differing manufacturing tolerences.

Hard to say who is at fault here. Possibly yourself, in that you had fit a non-genuine part that may well be of inferior quality. Possibly the garage, fitting poor parts, or fitting them poorly, possibly damaging the sensor during the time.

Sensors are around 150 each, and fitting new ones 'should' make the light go out after fitting correctly and resetting things.

Hope that my post provides some help.

Sounds to me like it is the reading from the oxygen sensor that is flagging the fault code in your picture, which in turn triggers the engine management light on your dashboard.

Your car will not pass an MOT with this light on. So you either get it fixed properly, or hope that a friendly testing station can assist in providing the documentation needed with a Pass showing after the emissions test.

I'm not qualified in this area, but I really don't think it will be doing your engine any real harm, but I'm happy to be corrected if I am wrong here. It may however, have a slight affect on fuel consumption? Also, could affect the condition of the Cat Convertor, although you wouldn't know as the light is already on.

I cannot tell you personally if this fault happens every time a non-genuine part is used on cars as yours, as my car is different. But I can tell you that using non-genuine or non-standard parts can affect the running of the car in many different ways due to differing specs of parts and differing manufacturing tolerences.

Hard to say who is at fault here. Possibly yourself, in that you had fit a non-genuine part that may well be of inferior quality. Possibly the garage, fitting poor parts, or fitting them poorly, possibly damaging the sensor during the time.

Sensors are around 150 each, and fitting new ones 'should' make the light go out after fitting correctly and resetting things.

Hope that my post provides some help.

ANY MORE SUGGESTIONS PLS?:'(

Hi,

Just have to ask, the original price you paid, £450 for just the middle section, not sure if that includes the cat converter or it was just the section of pipe between the cat and the silencer ?

If it was just the middle pipe how can they charge £450 , equally did you get a price from Toyota for the same job ?

The oxygen sensors can be very problematic and always seem to cause problems shortly after any work is done on or near them.

You could try getting one from a scrap yard and trying that, I got a working one for my old Avensis for about £40.

If buying a new one, I would stongly recommend you buy it from Toyota, try our Parts King, as the after market ones can be equally problematic even when new, as I found out !

If having someone other than Toyota supply and fit it for you, demand you see the delivery note from Toyota to prove its genuine and not an after market one.

Hi,

Just have to ask, the original price you paid, £450 for just the middle section, not sure if that includes the cat converter or it was just the section of pipe between the cat and the silencer ?

If it was just the middle pipe how can they charge £450 , equally did you get a price from Toyota for the same job ?

The oxygen sensors can be very problematic and always seem to cause problems shortly after any work is done on or near them.

You could try getting one from a scrap yard and trying that, I got a working one for my old Avensis for about £40.

If buying a new one, I would stongly recommend you buy it from Toyota, try our Parts King, as the after market ones can be equally problematic even when new, as I found out !

If having someone other than Toyota supply and fit it for you, demand you see the delivery note from Toyota to prove its genuine and not an after market one.

thanks for you reply firstly.

when the garage phoned me to confirm the repair job they said i have a big problem as they also need to change cat converter. I think they did but no sure as i don't know about the job and i saw the repaired car when i pick up the car.

do you think i shall change a new sensor or just leave it? will it cause any problems ? how much the toyota part ? or where i can quoted it from online except toyota??? any website? thanks a lots.

Glad that my reply was of no use to you, good luck with asking the same questions again and again.

I hope that you manage to get things fixed.

[

how much the toyota part ?

Contact you local Toyota delaer - they need your reg no. to get the exact part / price for your car

where i can quoted it from online except toyota???

As I said before, aftermarket sensors can be a gamble and cause you even more problems

Glad that my reply was of no use to you, good luck with asking the same questions again and again.

I hope that you manage to get things fixed.

thanks for your first reply indeed, that reply is really helpful to me. but i try to listen to more suggestions as what the human being normally do. i hope you would understand. many thanks my friend, don't ***** on it.

Or if you want a cheap method take the light out the dash , however knowing you have engine faults could be handy! however i wouldn't pay 150 for a sensor its not a major issue

Or if you want a cheap method take the light out the dash

Hey,

Just ask any MOT tester whats the first thing they check for - the engine check light come on when you turn on the ignition switch before the engine starts - its the oldest trick in the book - and they have a long list of tricks ...

Or if you want a cheap method take the light out the dash

Hey,

Just ask any MOT tester whats the first thing they check for - the engine check light come on when you turn on the ignition switch before the engine starts - its the oldest trick in the book - and they have a long list of tricks ...

This.

Along with a whole raft of tightening changes brought in this January, system check lights MUST illuminate and then go out as check is passed by the management system. Any lights that FAIL to illuminate or FAIL to go out once checked, will result in a fail.

Hey,

that fault is for the catalyst efficieney being below threshold....cat is still bad. it shouldnt effect the engine but will effect the idle speed of it. the light illuminates to say there is an engine related fault.

Id get a toyota dealer to luck at the code and get it done by someone in the know

• 2 weeks later...

your cat system or lampda sensors fault... to switch of the check light on dash just disconnect the Battery wire and put it again to pass the MOT

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links