Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Battery Status - Keyfob

dash

Our iQ2 is 30mths old now. On a few occasions recently I've noticed the yellow key symbol on the dashboard when pressing the start button (despite the keyfob being in my pocket) and the car won't start. If I move the keyfob closer to the centre of the car the yellow light goes out and the car can be started. Remote locking by touching the door handle, and by using the look/unlock buttons on the keyfob, works without fail.

Has anyone else experienced this behaviour? Could keyfob Battery be going flat? I'm confused though that remote lock/unlock works through a brick wall (to the car parked other side) which seems to conflict with the flat Battery theory...

See also http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=129251&st=45

David (Tarquin) did you have any joy with disabling default dead locking?

Dave

Cant remember now what the deadlock thing was about. I remember about saying that if you deadlock your car and try to open it with the manual key, the alarm goes off. A thought on your problem. There are a few aerials inside the car to pole your fob before athorizing it starting also there is a built in aerial coil around the smart start button. Maybe one of those are weak

David

I popped into the local petrol station last night to fill up and when I jumped back in the car my keys were in my right hand coat pocket. I pressed the clutch and nothing, no green light on the start button. Tried again but still nothing.

I then took the keys out my right hand pocket and placed them in the cup holder in the centre of the car, pressed the clutch and the light came on and started fine.

I normally have the keys in my left hand coat pocket so there was a difference last night to what I normally do but I too was wondering if the Battery was a bit flat.

I haven't seen the key symbol on the dash though.

Craig.

Halfords sell replacement batteries for the key fobs - only takes a few moments to change. Vague memory that the manual (only read it once when car was new) suggested changing the Battery every year or two. The Toyota salesman said the batteries NEVER needed changing (sic).

They DO need changing and should be changed every two years, typical salesman I'm afraid, maybe somebody from aftersales should tell you you never need to buy a new car, wonder how he would feel about that? What a dweeb!

I have found that if I put my car keys in a pocket next to my iPhone, I get "key not detected" I pressumed the phone might block the signal

Kingo :thumbsup:

Shame they only last 'two years' as my Seat's are still going strong after 6+ years on the same Battery. Guess thats the joys of buy Japanese

Fish

My old Range Rover keys lasted many years too but that was a simple, press the button type key. I believe the iQ's keyless system is transmitting a signal all the time from the keyfob, hence why the car lights up when you approach and no need to press any buttons.

Guess that just uses more power than a fob that only gets pressed 4 times a day?

iPhone is an interesting comment, I had one of those last night right next to the key.

Craig.

Thanks for the replies.

iPhone theory could be bang on. I'll have to test that a bit further, but when I think about it, mine or the missus' iPhone is always on the scene...

Dave

The batteries should be changed, Ive known them last many years longer, but in the interests of keeping you on the road, you should change them

I run an Auris Hybrid (keyless entry) and tried the iPhone in the same pocket as the keys scenario again last night, and it always comes up as "Key not detected" Swap the phone to another pocket and all is well, does it every time for me

Kingo :thumbsup:

2 things happening here. One is the RF screening of the iPhone. The glass is also impregnated to screen leakages from the phone a USA a requinement by the FCC so tje whole phone os a radio frequency sheild. And also the reason for Battery life is with a normal fob the circuit only drains the Battery when you press the button but with smart entery the receiver in the fob is always on waiting to be poled by the car as you approach it and transponds with the right code hence 2years life. If you have a spare key would suggest taking the Battery out because the receiver inside is still draining the battery whilst doing nothing. While on a normal fob it just suffers battery shelf life

David