Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Jacking Points

Speed_Chaser

Hi guys!

Bought a hydraulic car jack but can't find any decent spot to place it under the car. Any advice on this one?

I always just put mine on the seal. About 6-8 inchs from the front and same from the back.

On my 1.6 TR there are jacking points especially for that sort of jack as opposed to the jack provided with the car. I have a small hydraulic jack which is fine at the front and lifts both wheels clear of the ground at the same time.

However the rear point does not work with my small jack it won't lift the car high enough. No doubt it would be o.k. with the big jacks as used by tyre fitters.

In your handbook on pages 261 & 349 It shows where to position a jack.

i use my hydraulic jack behind the return edge on the sill.To protect the paintwork i place a block of wood between jack and the paintwork.

Funny you should ask, i used my trolley jack to jack the front of the car up at the weekend, if your looking at the car front on, the jacking point is just to the right of center, its a small round and raised dome , the plastic shield under the front of the car is shaped around it, if your still unsure check your handbook.

I tried looking from the hanbook. But it only seemed to state how to lift the car with original Toyota spare jack from the side. There's not enough space for hydraulic jack there. I will check once again and look under the car more carefully too!

Thanks everyone :)

Page 261 of the owners manual clearly shows front and rear jacking points using a hydraulic jack, hope this helps :thumbsup:

Page 261 of the owners manual clearly shows front and rear jacking points using a hydraulic jack, hope this helps :thumbsup:

As i had already posted the page numbers n the handbook about using a jack,one wonders why peope dont read all the posts on a topic,and save their time and others.

Sorry about the rant but,its a bit niggling.

Thanks guys! I found the jacking points from the manual and beneath the car aswell. Very nice, now to change the tyres :)

BTW do you swap wheels' position, like front ones to the back and vice versa, or always use them in the same position? Just wondering how many people really do this...

As i had already posted the page numbers n the handbook about using a jack,one wonders why peope dont read all the posts on a topic,and save their time and others.

Sorry about the rant but,its a bit niggling.

Must be an age thing :lol:

Thanks guys! I found the jacking points from the manual and beneath the car aswell. Very nice, now to change the tyres :)

BTW do you swap wheels' position, like front ones to the back and vice versa, or always use them in the same position? Just wondering how many people really do this...

Every time i have my tyres changed at Costco's they will always move the front wheels to the back if it is the fronts you want the new tyres on, they will then move the rears to the front, they leave all four where they are if you are having all four changed, if i were you i'd keep your wheels in their original positions as swapping them around can lead to your steering pulling to one side as what happened to me after they moved my fronts to the rear when i had two new tyres put on, i swapped them back and all is now good :thumbsup:

Changed the wheels today. Oh what a joy, 225/40 in 18" instead of original 16" 205/55 rubbers. So much grip and great feeling of the road!

Tried to use my new car jack and it failed a bit... Rear jacking point is so far away under the car, that I wasn't able to pump the jack's handle because of rear bumper being on the way. Probably it wouldn't have raised the wheels off the ground anyway as I had to lift the jack half way to even reach the jacking point. Oh well.

I got over the same problem by jacking under the rear springs one side at a time.

Changed the wheels today. Oh what a joy, 225/40 in 18" instead of original 16" 205/55 rubbers. So much grip and great feeling of the road!

Tried to use my new car jack and it failed a bit... Rear jacking point is so far away under the car, that I wasn't able to pump the jack's handle because of rear bumper being on the way. Probably it wouldn't have raised the wheels off the ground anyway as I had to lift the jack half way to even reach the jacking point. Oh well.

"Speed Chaser" Ha Ha. fitting bigger wheels like you have will actually slow the car and less mpg, not to mention the cost in tyres £££££££££'s. Kids :ermm:

That is true mate. But I just happen to have different priorities regarding my car and save money on other things :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links