Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Alloy Wheel Refurbishment

rambler

Lookin good Mate !!
Thank you, i am chuffed and TPMS still working.
Cool Mate... How is the ride now ? Have You noticed how the thumpiness has gone especially over speed bumps ect

I've only driven about 3 miles since picking it up, so to soon to say. I am sure though with the state of the roads I'll be able to say, always a pot hole lurking somewhere.

Where did you get these done crustyclam ?

I am on the Cheshire / Derbyshire border and in need of a refurb on all 4 wheels. Also been thinking of the BSR removal too.

Thanks in advance.

.....AND IF THAT'S PAINT HE'S SPRAYING OOTSIDE, LET'S HOPE THERE WAS NO FOLLOWING WIND BLOWING THE OVERSPRAY ON TO TWO CARS AND SOME GUY'S MOTORBIKE.

Pedantic Kev....but we have all had aerosol overspray from wan muppet or another.......que?

.....AND IF THAT'S PAINT HE'S SPRAYING OOTSIDE, LET'S HOPE THERE WAS NO FOLLOWING WIND BLOWING THE OVERSPRAY ON TO TWO CARS AND SOME GUY'S MOTORBIKE.

Pedantic Kev....but we have all had aerosol overspray from wan muppet or another.......que?

He is shot blasting the wheels Kev ......

....ah knew that......

Where did you get these done crustyclam ?

I am on the Cheshire / Derbyshire border and in need of a refurb on all 4 wheels. Also been thinking of the BSR removal too.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I got them done at Bridgefoot Bodyshop, (WA4 1AW), at the same time i had 4 yokohama geolanders fitted. I think i could have had tyres fitted slightly cheaper elsewere but they removed the two rings FOC.

All in all i am very happy with the price payed.

Cheers

Lee

....ah knew that......

Yep thats the boss on the job, he said he would send some me pictures to put my mind at rest that the job would be done with shot blasting.

The first option was to just have the wheels treated for the kerbing (not much) and at the signs of corrosion. However i wanted to be sure no underlying issues were there and asked for the shot blasting.

Can't remember the names of the alloys manufacturers now ( something like jbl or jml), but they mentioned they also make alloys for mazda and the paint thickness is very thin, and they see many corrosion issues on these makes of alloys.

I think its JWL ? Either way its a Japanese standard mark not the maker .... Every car that comes from Japan and a few that don't but have the wheels produced there have that symbol...

Only issue with refinishing the T180 wheels is You lose that slightly chrome / shiny effect round the edges that lead into the spokes.. But that would take some spotting and is likely a good thing anyway !!

Your wheels look spot on and a great improvement !!

Did Your tyre fitters have the machine to remove the old BSR tyres or did they cut them off ?

I think its JWL ? Either way its a Japanese standard mark not the maker .... Every car that comes from Japan and a few that don't but have the wheels produced there have that symbol... Only issue with refinishing the T180 wheels is You lose that slightly chrome / shiny effect round the edges that lead into the spokes.. But that would take some spotting and is likely a good thing anyway !! Your wheels look spot on and a great improvement !! Did Your tyre fitters have the machine to remove the old BSR tyres or did they cut them off ?

Yes i did lose the chrome shiny effect at the top of the wheel, they did point that out at the beginning, and as you say not really noticeable.

They had to cut the rings off, it was the first time thay had dealt with this type of wheel setup.

My advice to anyone wanting to remove these is to try ringing bodyshops rather than a tyre fitter. I spoke to two other body shops offering alloy refurbishment and both were prepared to do the job. Prehaps a little more confident with the angle grinder!!

I didn't know that Charlie. I thought my Kia Soul wheels were made by the same supplier as my RAV as they were stamped with it.

Interesting. I guess a bit like a Japanese "CE" cert for wheels.

I wonder if there are a lot of other similar examples like this, where it had seemed parts for different makes are made by the same supplier but actually it is just a certification?

Interesting. I guess a bit like a Japanese "CE" cert for wheels.

I wonder if there are a lot of other similar examples like this, where it had seemed parts for different makes are made by the same supplier but actually it is just a certification?

It is exactly that.. Car manufacturers in Japan are allowed to self certify their wheels and then they all carry the JWL logo ..

My ravs wheels just have a J no JWL anywhere?

Maybe their fakes?

If they have no JWL designation they are not Japan originals.. All wheels have to have the certification......

All cars assembled in Japan should have the JWL logo on them...

Many cars not assembled in Japan may still have wheels with the JWL logo on them even if the car is not of Japanese origin like say a Sunderland built Nissan.. Some manufacturer's like say Land rover may source their wheels from Japan so likely will have the JWL logo

A Japanese car like Your Rav Jedi without the designation JWL on the wheels suggests a set of Sextons.......................

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links