Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fitting Drl's

Tony Barnsley

Ok So I went out and bought myself some pimping goodies :D

First off is some DRLS one pair of which will be going in the boot as boot illumination, but the others are going in the lower grill, what I need is an IGN switched +12V supply somewhere around the engine bay. . . . can anyone help preferably with Pics and a wire colour :D

Cheers

Just remember Tony, that at night your DRL,s need to go out or on to a lower voltage, to comply with Regs. I fitted mine on the U/C so that they go off when the sidelights and headlights are switched on.

Regards Clare

Yep got the relay kit for that one as well . . .Thanks

I can probably help you out with info later (maybe later today or tomorrow), unless somebody else can first. :thumbsup:

If you want them to really work as DRLs, then they should only come on when the engine is running and headlights off, not just when the ignition is on and headlights off (jjust being a pedant :) )

I looked at a bog standard Mondeo with factory fitted ones and had welding flash yellow swirls for several minutes after. It really is going to be fun when the blasted things are fitted as staandard. Some are uncomfortably bright.

Citroen drivers of their wee compac tmini will never need to replace a headlight bulb....they can drive on their DRL's in the dead of night. I am first to admit I was a rabbit in a previous life, but these things are becoming overly distracticating.

Blind Cev.

It's a legal requirement in some EU countries, to have your light on 24hrs, That's why DRL are being fitted as standard to Euro cars. Having you lights on in the middle of a summers day, things get very hot indeed, not to mention the extra wear and tare on the electricals.

But you probably already know this :D

DRL's are a good idea they will no doubt save thousands of lives and avoid accidents by making moving cars more noticeable on sunny days. Think if you are a distracted driver in a hurry and you glance in your mirror and see an object with a light on it your more inclined to look again.

There may be a more appropriate feed with more careful studying, but my first reaction is what about the main EFI relay?

Should be connector 1A pin 4, on one of the under bonnet fuse-boxes. Connector probably underneath.

Stuff attached.

PS.pdf

ECS-2ADFTV.pdf

ERJBNO1.pdf

DRL's are a good idea they will no doubt save thousands of lives and avoid accidents by making moving cars more noticeable on sunny days. Think if you are a distracted driver in a hurry and you glance in your mirror and see an object with a light on it your more inclined to look again.

.....MY POINT EXACTLY GG.......surely having to look twice is a distraction in itself, and whilst you are distracted rearwards, what's going on in front......? Absolutely agree they are a great safety feature, but Audi and Citroen, to name but two, have turned them into "look at me lights"....far too bright. Volvo have had lights on for decades....great idea.

Big Kev.

Halfords do a nice 3 wire set, there quite clever as they detect the voltage increase when the engine is running and come on, but also detect when you main lights come on and turn off.

http://reviews.halfords.com/4028/958207/reviews.htm

I didn't know any aftermarket DRL sets had that feature. Nice :)

Quite tempted to get a set if they are subtle enough!

The Halfords one is very similar to the 4 led type that Philips do.I fitted the Philips ones to my U/C and they work perfectly, but they are not cheap.

Regards Clare

.....MY POINT EXACTLY GG.......surely having to look twice is a distraction in itself, and whilst you are distracted rearwards, what's going on in front......? Absolutely agree they are a great safety feature, but Audi and Citroen, to name but two, have turned them into "look at me lights"....far too bright. Volvo have had lights on for decades....great idea.

Big Kev.

My Dads old Volvo 240's had the lights on an you always got numptys flashing you. The point is you notice them so they need to be look at me lights thats the point.

Big Kev.

My Dads old Volvo 240's had the lights on an you always got numptys flashing you. The point is you notice them so they need to be look at me lights thats the point.

.....GOING THE OPPOSITE WAY.....???? Not being a numpty, I noticed what they might be for, and thought it might catch on one day.....now it's a competition of how many lumens can they get away with before legislation kicks in re brightness.

What I can't get my head around with these things is that if they ar a safety aid at the front, how come we don't need red drls at the rear of our vehicles?

Mike D

www.5542.co.uk/boiler for evidence of a steamy weekend or two!

Big Kev.

I don't see running lights (be they LED DRLs, or the previous Dim-Dip solution that was very briefly used in the UK) as something that a car coming up behind you would benefit from, but as a way to make oncoming cars more visible.

I agree with Kev and Don though, that the intensity of the DRLs fitted to many vehicles seem much too intense however.

I meant your on a busy street parked and you look in your mirror to pull out. I always thought we should have a double brake lamp solid on for light braking and flashing when hard braking or stopped.

I meant your on a busy street parked and you look in your mirror to pull out. I always thought we should have a double brake lamp solid on for light braking and flashing when hard braking or stopped.

Makes sense :)

Something I wish people would do is put on their lights in the multi-story car parks for that kind of scenario you were thinking, GG

How's it going Tony?

BTW, I'll pm you my address for the money as your post has resulted in spending even more money on the RAV!

Fitted the DRLs that Jedi posted the link to.....

Engine running, headlights on

RAV4-SR-DRLsOFF.jpg

Engine running, headlights off

RAV4-SR-DRLsON.jpg

Not cheap, but very easy install and look pretty subtle (would have preferred to have them nearer the sides, but look ok and a solid fitting)

Nice Job Dave, you certainly don,t waste anytime!!!!!

Regards Clare

RAV4-SR-DRLsOFF.jpg

I see what you mean about the mustache now LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

burtreynoldbandit.jpg

I never noticed myself until someone pointed it out! :lol:

Have to think of an appropriate name for El Ravvo :)