Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best Mpg

AYGO_BLACK07

Had my Aygo Fire 10 days and I've just filled her up for the second time this morning. Managed 427 miles out of my first full tank, worked it out and it's about 58mpg, quite happy considering this should improve with the more miles I do.

EDIT: I should add that the 427 miles was between fill ups so not quite a full tank.

My driving is all stop/start commuting with 40mph max and perhaps only 30 miles per tank being done on the motorway.

My average on Fuelly is 50mpg. I have noticed seasonal variations; summer avg 52, winter avg 48 with autumn and spring falling in-between.

Running in appears to have made little difference, the car has done 8.5k miles and has not really changed from day 1.

I'm SO perplexed! I have searched the net recently and found quite a few forums where the subject of Aygo mpg has been discussed, and like on this thread

there are clearly many Aygo drivers getting some excellent figures, even up towards what Toyota officially claim. But, there is deffinitely also a significant

minority of us who are for some unknow reasons are getting way below these good figures, (there are a few on this thread) and unfortunately I'm one of them!

I am only getting around 43mpg, admitedly mostly around town, and including some quite short journeys, but not actually sitting in traffic, and I am driving

SO VERY carefully, really gentle acceleration, change up early, rolling in neutral down ALL the inclines, and up to all the roundabouts etc, (and it's mild as well.)

The way I'm driving I'm sure I really should be one of those getting 55 - 60+ mpg. Now I've seen there are definitely others out there who like me seem

to be struggling in the early 40's mpg at best, and for most of us I'm sure the Aygo's great economy was a massive factor in our decision to buy one, so

it's really really frustrating!

So please, are there any suggestions as to what I and my fellow strugglers can do? (Not the driving style tips, tyre pressures etc, I know about those), but I mean

could it be there's something in the way my engine management is set up (I mean it's all done by computers now isn't it) I don't really understand these things,

would anyone advise me to go to a Toyota dealer? I've been reluctant because they are SO expensive, but if there's a chance that there is some adjustment that

could be made to improve things then of course it would be worth it. Are there computer diagnostic tests for this sort of thing, does anyone know? The car is 5

yeras old, but low mileage only 22k (I bought it less than a year ago) it has had a recent service by a local mechanic (not Toyota). It just seems odd that some of us

are getting such a lot less than the rest of you, I know there's bound to be some variation, but surely not to this extent! Any suggestions really appreciated!!

I'm not sure whether changing up early always works, especially on the Aygo. I'm still getting used to the rather strange gear ratios but I have on occasion found myself going nowhere basically because the engine is struggling at low revs. I travel up the same hill every night, and in my T-Pot Yaris I could manage this in 4th or 5th at around 40mph. 5th gear always returned about 20% worse fuel consumption than 4th (even though the engine appeared quite happy) and I often judged whether I was in the 'right' gear or not on regular trips by how well the engine pulled when I put my foot down. If I was in a gear that didn't allow me any chance of acceleration when I wanted, then I deemed that to be the wrong gear. It's not always about the engine revs, it's about how efficiently the engine is operating under certain conditions, and this is especially true on hills.

I've just returned from a weekend break and even on the motorway I found myself changing gear to 4th and on a couple of occasions to 3rd! Especially over the M62! A higher revving and accelerating engine is a happier engine than a struggling low-revving one! My 1st three fill-ups are below (I've only had the car a fortnight!)

1st fill up - commuting, running around for the sake of it, urban and rare A-road short journeys = 52.3mpg

2nd fill up - over the Pennines at the weekend through the torrential rain, stuck in traffic at every junction and the weekend's travel around hilly North Wales = 64.0mpg

3rd fill up - A-road and motorway travel only, but entire journey with lights on and wipers in heavy rain = 76.6mpg!

Hope this helps?

I am only getting around 43mpg, admitedly mostly around town, and including some quite short journeys, but not actually sitting in traffic, and I am driving

SO VERY carefully, really gentle acceleration, change up early, rolling in neutral down ALL the inclines, and up to all the roundabouts etc, (and it's mild as well.)

The way I'm driving I'm sure I really should be one of those getting 55 - 60+ mpg.

Hi there, i know you asked not for driving style tips, but i do the opposite of those things and am averaging about 60MPG over 22k miles. For instance i travel on a 50MPH road and i quite often accelerate from the lights up to 50 in third then change straight to fith gear.

I think the biggest problem you are facing is probably the fact that your journeys sound like they are not at the optimum speeds for high fuel efficiency.

I also thought it used more fuel to coast down hills and that as fuel is needed to turn the engine over as apposed to it being in gear and the momentum of the car turning the engine over.

There is a fair amount of anecdotal evidence, apparently, that states coasting can use more petrol than leaving the car in gear - based on an idling engine needing fuel in order for it to tick over, whereas an engine used as a brake (i.e. driven by the car going downhill) actually has it's fuel shut off. On a slight incline though, leaving the car in gear would cause it to decelerate and eventually stop, so you need to keep a light touch on the accelerator in order to maintain speed. In that scenario I would coast in neutral. For instance, once I was over the summit of the M62 heading towards Manchester, the Aygo coasted happily in neutral almost all the way down to the Oldham turn off, a distance of some miles. If I had remained in gear I would've needed to depress the accelerator to maintain speed.

I agree with Duce D, unless you have all the time in the world and no traffic behind you (when you can accelerate from 0-60 in 5 minutes if you want) I have found it more efficient to accelerate through the gears as opposed to letting the engine struggle by changing too early. If you put your foot down and you don't accelerate then you're in the wrong gear for that speed as a general rule.

:)

I agree with Duce D, unless you have all the time in the world and no traffic behind you (when you can accelerate from 0-60 in 5 minutes if you want) I have found it more efficient to accelerate through the gears as opposed to letting the engine struggle by changing too early. If you put your foot down and you don't accelerate then you're in the wrong gear for that speed as a general rule.

:)

It's also much more fun to put your foot down! :D

On a side note my mate reckons coasting with the clutch depressed will save even more fuel as the engine doesn't have to drive the clutch plates! I don't coast so don't know if this is true!

Yeah, !Removed! footing with the accelerator and shifting too early can actually make mpg worse.

The Aygo has a 3 cylinder 1L petrol engine - It has no pull at low revs so you're better off staying away from there while accelerating until you're at cruising speed. It is surprisingly willing as it climbs the rev range so don't be afraid to go there - As long as you don't spend ages there it won't cost that much fuel.

I'm not sure how relevant my own experiences will be since I have a diesel Yaris, but I find I do pretty well if I accelerate quite briskly to get up to cruising speed then drop it into 4th (25+) or 5th (40+).

I find my mpg gets worse if I accelerate too gently in a lower gear!

You might have to use a lower gear; I don't have enough experience with the Aygo to know what it cruises like at lower revs. (Last time I drove one my mate's one I was wanging it around twisty country roads and trying to get the VVTi to kick in on the straight bits :lol:)

Re coasting in-gear vs. coasting in neutral, in-gear always wins if your car's engine has DFCO (i.e. it stops injecting fuel when it's turned by the wheels).

Unless you're on a particularly steep hill, you will experience a deceleration due to engine braking (Or turbo back pressure for us D4D owners!) but this is where pulse and glide comes into its own.

Also, coasting in neutral can be quite dangerous as you can't accelerate if suddenly needed and relying on only the brakes to slow you down from high speed in an emergency situation leaves you a lot less of a safety margin vs braking in tandem with engine braking.

I've had my Fire almost 3 months. Best I've got is 63mpg on 250 mile run on motorways and A roads not over 60mph. My commute is only a couple of miles (should really stop being so lazy and cycle to work!) but I would do a few longer runs every month as well. Generally get between 48 and 53mpg, and I don't make as much effort to be economical as I could do so I think this is pretty good. 65 + is achievable no doubt, but very boring!

I find you change gear in the Aygo much later than in other cars. In my mum's 1.0 Yaris I could be in 5th gear by 30mph but in the Aygo I'd be no higher than 3rd. This means at higher speeds, the Yaris is screaming and using loads of fuel whereas the Aygo is much quieter and more fuel efficient. I find it very useful being able to stay in 2nd gear right up to 60mph- makes the most of the engine when you need a bit of power.

Generally I will change to 3rd at 30, 4th at 40 and 5th at 50. The engine doesn't pull well at all if you change earlier than that. I'm happy to use the revs if I have to but I'll never labour an engine by being in too high a gear for the speed.

Generally I will change to 3rd at 30, 4th at 40 and 5th at 50. The engine doesn't pull well at all if you change earlier than that. I'm happy to use the revs if I have to but I'll never labour an engine by being in too high a gear for the speed.

That's pretty much where I am at the moment, unless of course downhill in a 30 zone permits light use of 4th or 5th gear. I know what you mean about the Yaris - I traded in my beloved T-Pot for the Aygo, and I often found myself pottering around at 50 or 60 in 3rd in the Aygo, because that was what the engine in the Yaris sounded like at the same speed! After a while though I'd glance down and realise I was still in 3rd! :rolleyes:

Generally I will change to 3rd at 30, 4th at 40 and 5th at 50.

That's pretty much what the MMT does in general driving, so Mr T is obviously of the same opinion.

Though mine is sometimes very reluctant to go back into 5th after a short 'power up' in 4th, even at 60-70. I often give it a polite hint with the M function.

• 2 weeks later...

Just made my fourth full fill up and got 60.0mpg from the previous tank, my best so far.

67 is my new best. Very boring driving at 50 but great for saving the pennies!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm doing a long commute to work these days (about 60 miles each way) and my latest calculations show 66mpg, which I think it pretty OK.

• 3 weeks later...

On my last motorway journey to the Lake District and back to Manchester I managed 68.9MPG not my best but mighty close.