Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Custom Leather

PaulWorthing

Not sure what the quotes were but when i fitted the plum covers in my iQ , i bought the kit from Toyota and spoke to the manufacturers in Greece about fitting. They said that the iQ is one of the only cars where the original covers do not come off before fitting. If you look at your seats you will see the fabric is very thin and is glued to the hard foam and when you try to remove the cover it starts to break up the foam moulding. Also fitting the leather you have to glue it on to the existing seat cover especially the area under the headrest otherwise it will sag and look like a drum cover. You need upholstery tools to fit it for stretching it on because it clips together underneath.

David

I fitted the plumb seats , full instructions on toyota tech site or were. I removed old covers , need a hair dryer and time, I was told the if the covers were left on the air bags were compromised and would be unsafe. The air bag straps on the plumb seats need sewing in to the seat frame or the side bags in seats will be dangerous if deployed. It takes a long time to do the job properly but I thought it was worth it. Dont do it yourself unless competent as can compromise car safety . David H

Hi David

Autostop in Greece were the company that supplied my plum kit via Toyota. when i enquired on fitting information. i was advised about keeping the original covers on. i have emailed them again with my concerns about the Airbags.I looked at the Tech Docs on installation but they seem generic even though i specified the IQ , it seems it is a standard PDF with general guidance and Autostops procedures i.e countersigning torque settings for re-fitting the seats and workshop safety. will see what they say.

David

Have had 2 emails back ftom Autostop in Greece. They are the people who supply the Plum leather to Toyota in kit form. They confirmed you dont take off the existing covering before puting on tne leather. Also they said if its one of the toyota supplied Plum kits there is no issue with the Airbags

David

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys. i didnt realise that you could get aftermarket leather covers. booked my little iq in for a guy to custom leather it. he is going to cover the door cards with leather and put insert an alcantara panel into it somewhere. sounds good but yet to see how it looks.

Nigel

Looking forward to seeing the final product.

I've reccently been told by toyota that one of the front airbag, coming out of the seat can not be replaced, you have you change the whole seat.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links