Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chrome Garnish

jettech

Hello all,

how do you get ridd of that chrome garnish from the boot? I know it is glued but how to remove it?

Thanks

You could try warming it CAREFULLy with a hairdryer then then pull off garnish.

Or some use some strong fishing line between garnish and bodywork, loop line around end of garnish and pull.

These are only suggestion.its your choice if you want to try them.

I think that you should absolutely use fishing line or some old credit card for help. I am actually thinking of removing mine aswell. Got a doubt that there might be some rust under it.

You can be right about rust. I want to remove mine as I bought bike carier and I can't fit it properly because of that garnish.

Please report back on how it goes. I'm not in a hurry so now when you told about it I will probably just wait until you're done with yours :rolleyes: Really I just don't have time during next couple of months or so. After that I'll probably do it anyway. It looks cool though but I'm afraid of rust...

Project on hold as some guy in a van didn't keep the distance and mashed up my rear spoiler. Now I need to get that sorted first. I will let you know when I do it.

Sorry to hear that mate :( Luckily nothing worse happened...

• 1 month later...

Update:

Removing garnish itself is not a big issue as you can simply cut trough the glue with plastic knife. Removing the glue and foam residue is another story. I waisted 2 hours of my life trying all "100% working" solutions I could find I decided to pay £25 and had it done by local paint shop.

:D Which methods did you use mate?

I have tried heating it up, adhesive remover, WD40, clay bar but with miserable effect. There were some foam chunks left. My goal was to get my bike on the rack and have nice afternoon in Chiltern Hills and not spending it on my driveway.

Was there any rust underneath?

I'm puzzled why this chrome trim would stop you fitting a bike rack? as the trim and the plinth it is stuck to are both plastic you are never going to find rust there.

The trim is stuck on with double sided tape and the best way to remove these trims is with hot water, get the plinth hot by pouring hot water over both and start to lift one end of the trim and it will come away, try to keep the tape stuck to the trim and go slowly and keep the water flowing, you could also remove the plinth from the tailgate and pour hot water inside the plinth, this makes sure the tape comes off the plinth without leaving a mess of sticky tape.

The trim didn't stop him fitting the bike rack. Removing process was so tricky that he didn't have time to do that!

Thanks for the hot water tip though :)

Hot water didn't work neither hot air blow (it that was the case it would probably fall off during hot day :)). I found many tips online and like said removing trim itself is not a big issue the problem is double sided tape residue left.

The trim prevented from fitting bike rack as it was fitted on the edge and the surface was to thick to fit rack bottom hooks and lock it. Rack is Thule 9106.

what did you do with the chrome garnish? would you sell it?

Anyone else tried removing the emblems from the rear door? I've read people just heating the residues up with a hairdryer, and than just gently rub it off the paint with your finger. Other suggestions?