Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Elderly Yaris - New Brake Pads.

Madasafish

An update on the progress of son's Yaris: 2001 GS with over 110k miles now.

See previous editions:

http://www.toyotaown...2B&fromsearch=1

http://www.toyotaown...hp?showforum=49

Last year son complained of front brakes squealing. A quick strip down and clean showed pads would be worn out in six months.. so just cleaned up and copper-eased all bearing surfaces and kept a watch out. By last week, noise had appeared again on front driver's side@all the time. Obviously the wear strip had been reached - hence the noise. Braking efficiency seemed OK.

So started out to buy new ones. The fun of selecting new pads for a 2001 Japanese built 1.0 with ABS. Eventually gave up and phoned Toyota Pinkstone Stoke on Trent . Very helpful and efficient as usual but £55 for a set of pads! No way. !

Checked Pentagon Toyota (sheffield?) on eBay who I have used in the past : very helpful and efficient . OE pads around £48 but Toyota's branded aftermarket pads Optifit £25.64 delivered. Ordered Thursday via eBay.delivered Sat am. Fitted Sat pm.

No real problems but used the" bleed the brakes "routine when forcing back the brake pistons into the calipers. As you will see from the attached pictures the old pads were very very worn and if left another week, would have started to score the discs...

post-22688-0-36645700-1334419985_thumb.j

post-22688-0-23660300-1334420060_thumb.j

post-22688-0-45098300-1334420094_thumb.j

post-22688-0-82734200-1334420130_thumb.j

Heh, I found a similar thing when enquiring about the EBC greenstuff pads; Turns out there were 3-4 different types but very little to go on as to the correct set!

(I mean, my D4D has ABS but the EBC pad listed specifically for ABS Yarisisus is wrong!)

I've got some EBC Greenstuff on my car and they are AMAZING! £50 well spent!

How are they for brake dust? The only reason I'm after some is so my front wheels don't look like they're made of carbon fibre merely week after I clean the car! :lol:

Actually, what pads do Toyota use? The ones on mine have good stopping feel but they generate such a ridiculous amount of dust :(

I'd recommend the EBC Greenstuff on the basis of price, excellent braking ability and long lasting too. I don't see much brake dust come off mine either. Thoroughly recommended ;)

Nice, I'll have to try them out then :)

Incidentally, the PIAA wipers have been doing well too with all this rain sun rain sun hailstones sun rain :lol:

• 4 months later...

Interesting post, will have to watch out for this with my yaris, thankfully it shouldn't be anytime soon. Though she is a 2004 model she only has 25k on the clock ;) .

I bought mine second hand T2 3dr 2004 yaris, some vandal had pulled the aerial out of the base on the roof (ripped the thread out so i can't just replace the whip), so i have to get it replaced. Of course Charles Hurst (local chain in Northern Ireland) quoted me £300 for the job :o . Started shopping round, got a place that says they should be able to do it for about £50 :) , just waiting to hear back from them. I'd buy the part and attempt it myself but for the reasoning i'd have to go through the upholstry inside her and that would hurt me to try.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links