Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Clutches And Water Pump

Nathan Cresswell

Hello,

New member today as I'm looking for some positive feedback that I need to keep hold of my Aygo.

I've had a 3-door + Aygo for nearly 5 years now. Bought it when it was only 6 months old.

Last July the clutch failed and was replaced. Then in October the clutch cable had to be replaced.

This month the clutch again failed - the car wouldn't stall even when the car was fully in gear and cluth was fully out.

Last week on holiday the water pump failed and I got it fixed on Devon.

£1200 feels expensive as a 12 month spend on the car but I have to admit I stil like it and am really pleased with it.

When on holiday I take 3 dogs with us (one of them a rottweiller!) and the car always does us proud.

Current mileage is 49,000.

I'm wondering if the clutch problem is related to the problems other Aygo owners have had but usually while the car is under warranty?

Any input appreciated.

Thank you

Nathan

Hi Nathan.

Welcome!

Keep the Aygo !!

Waterpump......Well known fault. The early pumps were pressed steel.

Both mine & my wife's lasted 18 months......replaced under warranty. Mine with a Mk2 pressed steel.

Later, my wife's with the Mk3 Alloy body one. You should now have the trouble free Mk3. I have bought one &

the longer bolts needed in case my Mk2 fails.

Threads......

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=95418&hl=pump

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=118041

Clutch......You have an early Aygo.

They were fitted with a 180mm clutch. They are now known to be a little weak on the cover straps.

Some replacements are 180mm. All the people in the know are fitting the modified, stronger 190mm full clutch.

Hopefully yours is one of these.

Clutch cable......Can't find it, but there was a service bulletin issued about Aygo clutch adjustment.

It is very important it is correct.

Somebody may be able to post the image. You can then check yours for peace of mind.

Looks like your Aygo is perfectly normal!

Your next problem will be a cracked hazard switch light cover.

With 49000 miles, you are ready to fail your next MOT with worn front brake discs.

http://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=88972

Buy EBC ones & pads!

Hope this is of help.

Ian.

Hi Nathan,

Have I figured correctly, that your first replacement clutch failed within a year? Should that first replacement clutch not have a one year warranty? If so, second replacement should not have cost you anything.

I am in a similar position as yourself. My Aygo needs to be replaced. I like the car but resent the high maintenance costs (broken clutch, leaking water pump, piston slap, higher than average tyre wear, no where near the claimed mpg) compared to other cars I have owned.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Nathan; Clutch is a common problem as is the waterpump hate to tell you. I've had half the engine replaced on warranty.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links