Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Si Corolla Starting Up Weird

nightblade

Hello to all,

I recently bought a 96 Si corolla and she seems to start up funny mainly during the day time, anytime iv tried it at night its been fine. I gave her a service when i got her, inc spark plugs, oil and filter change, air filter change and also a fuel filter change. There was a bit of alternator trouble (been told this wouldnt be linked to it but best give as much detail as possible) so iv changed the fan belt and now theres no squiking but the alternator is cracked on the outer shel like there could be a bit of metal left inside it. I also got a new Battery into it so that deffinately aint an issue.

Im really starting to get confussed by whats wrong with the starting up and im even more confussed by the fact in the afternoon when its colder she starts up without a hitch so could it be something to do with air?

Thanks for any help,

Shane

also forgot to mention that i had the timing belt changed the week i got it so doubt its that

Hello to all,

she seems to start up funny mainly during the day time, anytime iv tried it at night its been fine. I

Hey,

Can you be a little bit clearer as to what and when it goes wrong.

First did the problem exist before you did any of the service work ?

When you say it starts up funny - do you mean when the starter is turning the engine over ? its difficult for the engine to fire and get going ? it starts but runs rough somehow ?

Whats the alternator problem ?

Whats so different between night and day where you are ??

From what i remember it started oddly before the service was done and a few days ago it was grand again but then after i adjusted the fan belt to make it tight and the fuel filter change it started acting up again. I did double check the fuel filter just incase fuel was leaking but its fine and bolts on tight

What I mean by funny is that during the day i go to turn on the car but it wouldnt fire up until I put my foot on the accelerator. Once its started after that it will idle just below the 800 and can conk out and then have to start it up again but after maybe 30secs itl be fine again as if theres no problem. At night it will fire up as normal, no foot on the pedal or anything else

To be honest I wouldnt be able to explain much of a difference between day and night other then its colder at night, and im in ireland.

The alternator problem is that there is a brake in the casing, near where its bolted to the engine. It looks like someone tried to realign it but cracked the Shell, there was no adjustment bolt on it before but there is now which has fixed the screach off the fan belt. Before that bolt was replaced sometimes the alternator wouldnt kick in for a while (Battery and handbreak light on and volt gague telling me low power). My only issue now is that there could be a piece of metal inside the alternator and I thought that may cause a problem with start up but iv been told that wouldnt be it.

Think I should add this bit of info may help

Just started her up there and she start up fine, sitting in the 800rpm but sounded a bit rough and there was also a strong smell of petrol while she was running

Hey,

Smell of petrol , that does not sound good.

Ask around to find out what local garages are good with Corollas, think it might be worth taking it to a garage and seeing if they can find the fault, might be cheaper than just changing things as you have been doing.

Ya found it a bit odd alright. Though in terms of the petrol iv been using I know its good cause iv been using the same petrol station for 5yrs and was grand on the old corolla i had. Though i did add some of that stuff to help clean the injectors, could the smell be coming from that? like before I didnt smell petrol

Ya a mechanic I know said hed give it a look over towards the end of the weekend, but figured it might be handy to put up a forum about it incase someone had the problem and knew what it was. Yera I changed them parts just incase, twas worth changing them anyway. The timing belt hadnt been done in 70,000miles so better change those parts that I can incase they havent been changed in a long time