Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Egr Valve

tarquin

Hi all, Had a 10,000 mile service while I waited yesterday at MR T ( I have a service plan) I reckon , other than check functionality of all the operations of the car, the only items changed were the engine oil and filter. Although the brakes were indicated that they were checked, it wasn't until i got the car back that i remembered i had the security bolt remover in my pocket . I did point out to them that the wheels had to be put back in the same locations as I have pressure sensors fitted in each wheel and they made note of that. One could argue that as my wheels have large gaps between the spokes it is possible to take measurements without removing them. One other thing though, when i removed my air filter box and fitted my K&N filter the original filter was dirty so i disposed of it. For the service, I reinstated the original filter box and removed the K&N. The fibre filter i replaced with a cheaper one from the local shop, checking it this morning, the same filter is fitted so no check on its originality was done. Same with the pollen filter. I haven't checked what a 10k service entails but it did take them 3hrs including valeting.

While I was there, I told them that my car has the older EGR valve and that some forum members have had problems with it and described the symptoms. They said ok and went away and came back with a form for me to sign indicating to Toyota that i have requested it to be changed. They went away again and came back with the Toyota bulletin about it and a description of why there was an up-grade in the design. So Monday assuming there is no back order on it, they are going to replace it. For you people with the older style EGR valve I suggest you do the same as from the description on the bulletin it states the hesitancy in acceleration and cutting out, all of which are dangerous.

David

Is there any pictures of the difference between the valves?

Fish

Hi Dan

Yes it was covered on here last year when someone had this problem of lack of power when pulling away and cutting out and also hesitancy. Do a search. I think George may have wrote a bit on it at the time. Certainly there were picture comparisons

David

Hi all, Had a 10,000 mile service while I waited yesterday at MR T ( I have a service plan) I reckon , other than check functionality of all the operations of the car, the only items changed were the engine oil and filter. Although the brakes were indicated that they were checked, it wasn't until i got the car back that i remembered i had the security bolt remover in my pocket . I did point out to them that the wheels had to be put back in the same locations as I have pressure sensors fitted in each wheel and they made note of that. One could argue that as my wheels have large gaps between the spokes it is possible to take measurements without removing them. One other thing though, when i removed my air filter box and fitted my K&N filter the original filter was dirty so i disposed of it. For the service, I reinstated the original filter box and removed the K&N. The fibre filter i replaced with a cheaper one from the local shop, checking it this morning, the same filter is fitted so no check on its originality was done. Same with the pollen filter. I haven't checked what a 10k service entails but it did take them 3hrs including valeting.

While I was there, I told them that my car has the older EGR valve and that some forum members have had problems with it and described the symptoms. They said ok and went away and came back with a form for me to sign indicating to Toyota that i have requested it to be changed. They went away again and came back with the Toyota bulletin about it and a description of why there was an up-grade in the design. So Monday assuming there is no back order on it, they are going to replace it. For you people with the older style EGR valve I suggest you do the same as from the description on the bulletin it states the hesitancy in acceleration and cutting out, all of which are dangerous.

David

Hi David,

There was quite a debate about "servicing" last year and what is done and what isn't, and how does it take so long to do very little.

My grumble last time was that the cabin filter is down to be changed at the 20000mile service, it wasn't so I asked why and was told "it is only changed if it needs to be". This implies the filter was checked but in my case I know this was not done because I had a piece of extra anti rattle material in the way of the filter removal and it had not been touched...so the filter was not checked.

Also the comprehensive safety check was not done because "the car was too dirty", so they then washed the car and gave it back without the checks being done!

Are they mad?

I am on a service plan too, and so far I have never had an itemised "bill" of what they have done, though next time I think I will ask for a checklist so I can see what they should have done.

As you say David, the oil and filter change is all that seems to be done.

These cars are basically reliable and they know from experience that filters other than oil will not need to be checked/changed and the brakes "should " be ok after a couple of years, so unless an owner reports a fault they may not be checked.You can check them with a mirror from underneath for wear but that isn't a brake "service".

It is a lot of money to pay for not a lot.

Excellent news about the EGRV!

Well done persevering with that one.

Hope you had a great holiday.

John

Thanks John

I remember your post especially the cabin filter. When i boughtthe car they stamped it on the day i bought it stating it had just been serviced. A month later when i fitted my K&N the filter was fairly well clogged so it was just a stamp in the book. The plan stated first service of the plan should be a year or at 30k but a year would be the end of June and i have only done 22k total the next being 40k which means by the time that comes around i would have only done 30k. Mad. I did get all the list of work done but havent looked through it yet and it was presented on a nice folder. I did also see a figure of £79 on their paper work. I dont know the significance of that

David

Hi David, what is the EGR valve? Aha! Just looked it up, the Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve. I'm not sure if this has been a problem for us. There have been a number of occasions when the car has stalled on us both, but on some occasions I have put this down to me wearing boots with thick soles, but not like those below might I add.

post-113536-0-70300300-1334868669_thumb.

Anyone know if this EGR problem affects just the 1.0 engine or if 1.3 motors are also included?

Craig.

I followed the link and after reading it again and checking the pictures, it looks like the EGR pipe is coming from different sections of the CAT! One is pre and the other is post CAT. So does that mean they'd also be changing that ?

Fish

They didnt mention it only to say all parts are ordered as per the bulletin for replacement on Monday. A all morning job they reckon

David

Fish

Hi David

I have the late 2010 iQ3. Would this have the same problem. By the the way. I got my 1st ever speeding ticket in the iQ3 multidrive in over 30 years of driving. They are too quick and hard to hold back around 30 mph. You don't even realise you are going that fast, as they are very smooth. Trying to do the speed awareness course they have offered me.

Fish

Hi David

I have the late 2010 iQ3. Would this have the same problem. By the the way. I got my 1st ever speeding ticket in the iQ3 multidrive in over 30 years of driving. They are too quick and hard to hold back around 30 mph. You don't even realise you are going that fast, as they are very smooth. Trying to do the speed awareness course they have offered me.

Craig its just the early 1.0 engines. But for people wanting to check what they have, take a look at a previous topic.. Probably one of the first people to bring it to Toyota's attention .

http://www.toyotaown...pic=128369&st=0

David

Marc its only the earlier 1.0 models. Can be checked by the pictures in the link

David

Just checked mine and I appear to have the old version. I wonder if it's worth asking them to change it?

It's been hesitant to pull away at times, but not really had the sudden loss of power.

Fish

Mine was in for a 30,000 service yesterday, when i told them that it had started to got very sluggish, that it spluttered some times and that when i needed to excelerate up a slip road or away from a around about it was lacking in power and i felt that it was getting dangerous they said straight away that it was the EGR valve and that they will book it in to be replaced ASAP

Mine was in for a 30,000 service yesterday, when i told them that it had started to got very sluggish, that it spluttered some times and that when i needed to excelerate up a slip road or away from a around about it was lacking in power and i felt that it was getting dangerous they said straight away that it was the EGR valve and that they will book it in to be replaced ASAP

Egr Valve replaced all seems well. Does accelerate properly now and manages all the round- a- bouts I was having trouble with before (taking your life in your own hands)

David

I just noticed this conversation while scratching my head . . a lad at my work said something about an EGR valve on his Corsa. I questioned this as I didn't think petrol engines had these - only diesels. Coming onto here I've noticed from this thread that petrols do indeed have EGR valves? Do all petrols? Gonna have to inspect my motor tomorrow now as I have no idea if it has one

Hi Adam

Its a bit historic on here. Back last year there was a post saying the car they had kept loosing power and wouldn't pick up. After continuously reporting this to Toyota they came to the conclusion it was the EGR valve and there had been a bulletin issued that the valve had been changed to a newer design. it only effects early models of 1.0 and up to about Dec 2009. There was a link i put on here showing the difference between the old and the new. I went to my local dealers and referenced to the bulletin asked them to change it and stated the symptoms. So they booked it in and changed it.

David

David

Was the Cat changed at the same time to accommodate the new routing of the pipe work?

Dave

Not all petrol engines have EGR valves but I think it's fair to say that most petrol engined vehicles built in the last few years will have one. It's just an emissions thing so earlier engines get away without them.

All an EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve does is allow a metered amount of exhaust gasses back into the intake charge which has the results of lowering Nitrogen oxide emissions and lowering the combustion temperatures. It isn't done for performance though, an engine will run more efficiently or powerful without one fitted so that is why you will see EGR blanking plates and bypass kits on eBay but they won't work unless the fuel map is altered to suit. A friend of mine tried blanking the EGR on his Mondeo but it ran worse without the valve in there!

When the valves work they work very well but once they stop working correctly they can cause all sorts of running issues.

Craig.

• Like 1

Sorry Dave I still don't know will look tomorrow

David

Ive replaced the EGR Valve with a Bypass Valve on my Rover 75 2.0tdi and it ran alot better with out remapping, Ive aslo just replaced the EGR Valve on my Audi A3 1.9tdi with a Bypass Valve and it has improved the performance and MPG on both cars.

If I could find a EGR Bypass valve for my IQ then I would replace it as soon as I could.

• Like 1

Oh right, thought the lad I work with was talking rubbish (as he often does)! I don't see how it lowers combustion temperatures though, surely it's venting hot exhaust gasses . . . this is one part of an engine I haven't got my head around. To me it sounds like just another part they fit to go tonto; if it's not head gaskets, DPFs or turbos failing on the D-4D engines, it's EGR valves! Though wonder if that's just down to diesel soot particles clogging them up?

Any idea if the 1NR-FE 1.33 Dual VVT-i engine (with Stop/Start) in the Yaris mk2 and iQ3 has one? Don't think my 2SZ-FE unit has one. Looking to get another Yaris with the 1.33 engine soon.

If the Denso ECUs on the D-CATs can't be 'rigged' so that the DPF can be removed, I doubt they'll accept an EGR valve bypass on an iQ. Unless the iQ ECU isn't a Denso . . .

• Like 1