Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Headlamp Bulbs Hir2 = Phillips9012?

elt96jlm

Hello!

I saw this topic has been discussed before, but I wonder if someone has ordered the Phillips 9012 bulb sold on eBay and tested in on the IQ?

I plan to buy a pair in order to have in stock when one on the car breaks but have learned that the original HIR2 was supplied from Toshiba and not Phillips.

Is light pattern the same etc?

Thanks,

Jon

Hi Jon

Its difficult to say if the one's on eBay are the same mounting as the original Toyota one, They certainly are not the same glass enclosure. (Pic supplied of original one) My thoughts are that the original bulb is shaped like the ones that go in projectors for a reason. The bulb does 2 jobs on the iQ Main beam and dipped at the same time and a motorised reflector is used inside the lens to direct the light. It may be a better design by Toyota to use this type of enclosure. Saying that, others have used HB2 bulbs and cut the tab off to make them fit. I myself use HID lights which are the same glass enclosure as the ones your saw on eBay and they work well . So my best recommendation is to get a spare from Toyota.

David

post-109788-0-22088100-1335043252_thumb.

I'm awaiting delivery of mine (should arrive tomorrow actually).

I ordered mine from AutobulbsDirect. Got the correct fitment from a guy that used to work for Toyota so fingers crossed they'll fit. I ordered the 'H4 ABD 60/55w xenon Ice Blue Bulbs' (pair) as had great reviews. Also ordered 501's for the sidelights, Bright White ones.

I know your looking for Phillips, just if you were interested in anything else buddy

:-)

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/h4-60-55w-headlight-bulb/?bulb_search=c25078&end=front

H4 ABD 60/55w xenon Ice Blue bulbs

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/H4-ABD-60-55W-Xenon-Ice-Blue-Bulbs-pair.html?bulb_search=c25078

Here's a photo of what mine look like as there seems to be loads of posts on the correct fitment. I bought the ABD Zenon Ice Blue bulbs from Autobulbdirect, £12 and the white LED sidelights, £6 ish.

I had to gently file one edge off the main headlight bulbs in order to fit which toke me 30seconds with a rasp. Fitted perfectly. The sidelights aren't as blue as they are in the pic, just a nice bright white with slight tinge of blue.

sidelights.jpg

headlights.jpg

So now I'm confused, You say you fitted H4 bulbs like in the link so they have 3 terminals on the back?

I thought they were a single wattage bulb with a plastic plug on the back like David's photo?

Got any pictures of the ones you removed or is the image wrong in the link?

Craig.

Hi Craig

I can tell you the original bulbs are 2 pin and the HID ones are 2 pin as the bulbs do both jobs. Does not require 3 pin 2 filament bulbs

David

Yep, Your right again David. :)

These are the bulbs from my car taken 5 minutes ago. They are Toshiba HIR2 12 volt 55 watt bulbs. Two pins as well.

If you have managed to fit H4 60/55W bulbs Aaron I can't help but think they are wrong unless some cars had different fittings?

Craig.

post-116364-0-78228700-1335547131_thumb.

post-116364-0-18412600-1335547163_thumb.

post-116364-0-00129700-1335547178_thumb.

Well its definitely off Autobulbsdirect and yes its 3 slots. One slow filed thinner and fits perfectly. Has both main beam and low beam. I think they are H4, just check the website. Sidelights are 501

Just token a look and yes, mine are 3 slot on the originals and 3 slot on the new ones from Autobulbsdirect. The picture in there website isn't the ones you get.

Unsure how mine seem to be 3 slot but there you go. The actual fitment attached to the car is the correct fitment for 3 slot.. Strange :-/

Oh well, hope the photos were of help to give anyone a ruff indication of how these particular bulbs look :-)

To add...

Im talking about the plastic black slots that fix the holder and bulbs into place when you turn the bulb in.

If you guys are on about something else... Im terribly sorry!! Only got the car last week so don't know much about the bulbs. :-(

Ok i think at some point we started talking at cross purposes between electrical pin connections and locating mounting lugs/tabs. All electrical connections to an iq headlight bulb are 2 pin. Various bulbs will fit the enclosure by filing or removing lugs/tabs. But as i have said before toyota must have made the Hir2 bulb the shape it is for a reason and i think the reason is that it works more efficientlly doing 2 jobs of main and dipped than the conventional shape of being straight.

David

Thank you for clearing that up.

I was the lug mounts I was on about but yes the electronic connection certainly is 2 'progs'.

Sorry again if I confused people :-(

Hi everyvody,

Thanks for all comments!

Jon