Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Steering Wheel Wobble, Been Balanced Twice

Duracell

Hi all

Got 2 new front tyres fitted and afterwards noticed vibration through steering wheel at 70mph - fairly sure it wasnt there before. Took it back to be re-balanced for 2nd time but still there so I swapped wheels around - still there but not as bad.

Any ideas? Suspension maybe?

thanks

A wheel balancing machine is only as good as the person using it, and sometimes the machine needs recalibration which some tyre fitting companies neglect, try taking it somewhere else and getting them to check the balance, it will probably cost you but it must be worth it.

Its your wheel balancing. The only thing that was changed was the tyres & balancing & along comes a problem. I've had the same a few times and there were a few comments on here about wheel balancing. It can be a real pain going to another tyre fitter to get it sorted but it is necessary. You could give the original fitter a chance to rectify it - and they should do it for free. I've never had this problem with other cars - the Avensis does seem to be sensitive to it.

Thanks for the replies. I'll try somewhere else and see how we get on.

Whoever rechecks the wheel balance for you get them to check that there is nothing like dirt or other debri on the mating faces of the wheel and hub.

may seem obvious but worth checking.

Hi, I had exactly the same problem - steering wheel wobble at 75-80mph. This did not start when new tyres were fitted but during a motorway journey so I assumed that one of the balancing weights had fallen off. I had the balance checked twice and although they were out the first time around the problem did not go away (done at different garages - although both garages pointed out their machines were only calibrated up to 70mph). Also had the three steering rack bushes checked (as a recommendation from this forum as this can be an issue) however they were fine. Finally checked that the front discs were correctly seated.

In the ended I just put up with it thinking that it was going to be 'one of those things'. However the problem completely disappeared when I had new tyres put on the front - am wondering if was a defect in a tyre that only occurs when the weight of the car is on it?

Hi, quick update - phoned a few local garages asking what balancing equipment they had and when it was last serviced or calibrated which resulted in a couple of ums, errs and silences......and one guy starting choking down the phone. So, haven't got round to it yet due to not finding somewhere suitable. Might get steering rack bushes checked aswell.

I'd say check the mating surfaces are clean.

Happened to me on several cars.

Now I makes sure the disc / hub and the wheel are really clean.

I giv e both a scrub with a wire brush, but this might be a bit harsh, and clean them with brake cleaner, then a dab of copper grease.

I've also started torquing the wheel nuts up in a pattern. IE, half torque on the oppersite wheel nuts, going around then ful torque. Like you would on a head gasket.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links