Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Removing Rear Seats From 4.2

Molnboman

Hej

Can someone show me a link to removing the rear seats from the 4.2 or is it easier than I think it is?

Please advise and thanks in advance,

A

I would say easier then you think :D

Only tip I got is one released take them out the back door to avoid chance of knocking arch paintwork.

Very easy. You just unclip them at the hinge.

By hinge I take it you mean the ones at the bottom of the seat down by the floor?

Thanks, I will see if my knuckle skin remains intact tomorrow morning! hahaha

Cheers Guys!

A

I don't have a 4.2. Has anyone got a photo of the catch?

Unclip the luggage area cover if you have one. Pull the clip to release the upright part and fold it down until it clicks. Pull the lever on the bottom part of the seat and move the assembly forwards until it clicks. Then you will see a bar that you pull and it comes out. It's not the lightest in the world and I usually take it out through the rear side passenger doors.

I am going on memory here, but this is the procedure.....

Fold the seat down, then pull the nylon strap to then allow you to tilt the seat base up vertically, and then pull it further to open the seat securing "jaws" and then just lift the released seat up.

No need to put your hands near the brackets at all if I recall right?

May be different on a RAV4.2 compared to a RAV4.2.5 (facelift) like I had, but don't think so.

First pull the D shape tab next to the headrest up and the seat will fold forward until it lies down.

Then at the rear base of the seat is a black lever in a small recess,pull lever up with 2-3 fingers...this releases the rear " clasps " under the seat...and lift.

Once the rear of the seat is raised 5-6 inches.........

at the base of the rear of the seat ( central ) is a material tab in a loop form sticking out through a hole in the plastic trim.

Pull this loop towards the rear of the car,lift the seat up & forwards and pull..hey presto....." Click " ...it unlocks from the boot floor.

But before you pull seat away,make note of which bars in the floor you are pulling the seat away from.

Think thats about it.

Out of interest, do the rear seats have to be in the vehicle at MOT time?

Thanks Jedi. Will check with MOT station before I go. In September. Rear seats live in my spare room. May be an unecessary ball ache getting them down just to go straight back again after MOT.

I am sure they will have to be in as the rear belts cannot be tested without the seats in place as they have the brackets on them, and if belts are fitted, they have to be tested .....

First pull the D shape tab next to the headrest up and the seat will fold forward until it lies down.

Then at the rear base of the seat is a black lever in a small recess,pull lever up with 2-3 fingers...this releases the rear " clasps " under the seat...and lift.

Once the rear of the seat is raised 5-6 inches.........

at the base of the rear of the seat ( central ) is a material tab in a loop form sticking out through a hole in the plastic trim.

Pull this loop towards the rear of the car,lift the seat up & forwards and pull..hey presto....." Click " ...it unlocks from the boot floor.

But before you pull seat away,make note of which bars in the floor you are pulling the seat away from.

Think thats about it.

This.

Getting them back in is slightly more tricky.

Only tricky part putting back is getting the right bar to drop back onto, as Rambler suggests. It is only slightly harder.

In actuality, you can usually tell as there are telltale bare metal sections where the black paint has been rubbed away.

(I frequently took my seats in and out and after the first couple of times, it took maybe 1 minute for the pair to put in or take out.)

The instructions can be found in the handbook if you have one?:thumbsup: Stew

• 2 months later...

Can anyone tell me if you can remove the seats from the 2.2 D4D 2006, 2007 models? I think it's a great feature on the 4:2 and make use of it quite a lot. My sister has a 2008 and I can't see that the seats will remove only slide and fold. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated! :)

No they don't easily come out of a 4.3.

The reason why it was needed to remove the seats from the 4.2 is that they sat quite a bit above the boot floor, so had to come out for maximum flatfloor length

4.3 has a false floor under the boot floor - this means that the folded seat level is level with the boot floor, so little point in removing for that purpose (unless you want that much extra space the seats take up regardless?)