Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Deisel Particulate Filter

chizz1uk

Hi i'm thinking of getting a 2007 rav4 2.2 d-4d xt5 or a 2007 T180 spec rav4 and would

like to know if it has a deisel particulate filter as i don't do a lot of mileage

also any other things i need to look out for when buying, any advice would be welcome

I see that the T180 has a dpf but i don't know about 17/09/2007 rav4 xt5 with the 2.2 d-4d 134ps engine the dealer said it's not got a dpf.

The latter does not have a dpf but it is within the range of possibly effected vehicles for oil consumption.

Possible not probable!!!

What is ????

speaking about DPFs, what is the recommended routine with the Toyota ones to stop them need regeneration (think that is the term that is usually used?) at a dealers?

is it not 'regenaration' - when you go into a dealership and you hear some car being revedup for 30 minutes and the place stinking because the DPF has got blocked and that is the official procedure to sort it out (at lesst it seems to be in Suzuki and Nissan dealers!)

I wouldn't know , what's a dealership :lol:

They can probably start the regeneration process via there diagnostics..........must look and sound strange though, a car reving its nuts off with black smoke coming out the back...

Hoovie....as was recommended to me.....make sure engine at operating temperature and no polis about, and leave/delay it in 2nd then third gear, and accelerate like a bank robber.

Cannot see why OP should have issue with a car having a DPF AND DOING SHORT JOURNEYS AS LONG AS IT IS GIVEN A GOOD MOTORWAY BELT AND ACCELERATED PERIODICALLY AS DESCRIBED.....?

Big Kev

I think the Toyota system is different in that it employs that 5th injector that fires fuel in every once in a while to clear the DPNR out ..............

Not talking Toyota now, but there is a lot of negativity about DPFs generally - especially on the Nissan Forums where they apparently get blocked up a hell of a lot and the garages charges hundreds to fix - and I guess that negativity and subsequent rumour mill spills over?

Not talking Toyota now, but there is a lot of negativity about DPFs generally - especially on the Nissan Forums where they apparently get blocked up a hell of a lot and the garages charges hundreds to fix - and I guess that negativity and subsequent rumour mill spills over?

DPFs are the bane of the modern diesel engine.. They really are a right royal pain in the ****.........

They cost an arm and two legs if they give problems.

On some cars it is possible to remove them but it is in most cases necessary to re install for the MOT.

The latter does not have a dpf but it is within the range of possibly effected vehicles for oil consumption.

So a 2007 XT5 doesn't have a DPF??

So a 2007 XT5 doesn't have a DPF??

If it has a Dcat Badge on the wing it has the DPNR (DPF).. if not then no ...

Charlie

1 Oil consumption

2 The 5th injector is running all the time to balance emmissions, not really to purge the DPF. Some cars have a chemical injector to clean the DPF and some have to be stripped and cleaned. The RAV self purges every so often automatically at which time it can be seen throwing clag out of the exhaust.

Tatteam

Charlie's explanation of knowing about a D-Cat is probably easiest but to summarise, yours doesn't.

Thanks mates, at least I have one less headache to worry about... :thumbsup:

Good grief.

The DPF on RAV T-180 is a DPF and a NOx trap. There is no need to do anything different to regenerate them, the 5th injector operates to heat the unit up and clear any deposits. You do not have to drive like a 'Bank robber'. The ECU will operate the 5th injector when it sees a pressure difference over the filter, you will not notice when it happens, it takes only a couple of minutes.

A dealer can do a forced regeneration in circumstances where the car has been unable to regen itself (Rare under normal conditions). The forced regen is not to rev the ***** off it like Nissan (Renault in drag). The procdure is to drive at a steady speed whilst the tech operates the regen.

The problems RAV have with DPNR/DPFs is blocking due to oil consumption (Common AD engine fault) and not using low ash oil (ACEA C2).

Charlie

1 Oil consumption

2 The 5th injector is running all the time to balance emmissions, not really to purge the DPF. Some cars have a chemical injector to clean the DPF and some have to be stripped and cleaned. The RAV self purges every so often automatically at which time it can be seen throwing clag out of the exhaust.

Tatteam

Charlie's explanation of knowing about a D-Cat is probably easiest but to summarise, yours doesn't.

The 5th injector DOES NOT fire all the time, only when there is a pressure difference between the two chambers.

Good grief.

The DPF on RAV T-180 is a DPF and a NOx trap. There is no need to do anything different to regenerate them, the 5th injector operates to heat the unit up and clear any deposits. You do not have to drive like a 'Bank robber'. The ECU will operate the 5th injector when it sees a pressure difference over the filter, you will not notice when it happens, it takes only a couple of minutes.

A dealer can do a forced regeneration in circumstances where the car has been unable to regen itself (Rare under normal conditions). The forced regen is not to rev the ***** off it like Nissan (Renault in drag). The procdure is to drive at a steady speed whilst the tech operates the regen.

The problems RAV have with DPNR/DPFs is blocking due to oil consumption (Common AD engine fault) and not using low ash oil (ACEA C2).

woops....just been pulled over by police....."DPF needed cleaning officer...."

"OK Sir....drive on....."

woops....just been pulled over by police....."DPF needed cleaning officer...."

"OK Sir....drive on....."

Most DPFs regenerate at speeds of over 40mph and 2k revs for 20 mins/20miles