Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vibration When Accelerating In The 60-80Mph Range

Dmitriy

Hi All,

While accelerating on my 2000 Toyota Avensis 1.8 VVTi I always start experiencing noticeable vibration of the whole car body and its steering wheel as soon as the speed exceeds 60mph, peaking out at around 70mph. As the speed reaches 80mph the vibration frequency becomes so high that it is indistinguishable from vibration caused by the road itself, and so is no longer a nuisance. As soon as I drop the accelerator pedal in the 60-80mph range the vibration goes away (the wheels have been balanced twice anyway). As soon as I press the pedal again (while still in the 60-80mph range) vibration resumes.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks in advance,

Dmitriy

This is the same as I posted in another thread, and it's free to try yourself!

I'd say check the mating surfaces are clean.

Happened to me on several cars.

Now I makes sure the disc / hub and the wheel are really clean.

I giv e both a scrub with a wire brush, but this might be a bit harsh, and clean them with brake cleaner, then a dab of copper grease.

I've also started torquing the wheel nuts up in a pattern. IE, half torque on the oppersite wheel nuts, going around then ful torque. Like you would on a head gasket.

Hi i had a simillar issue .an extreme vibration between 50 - 80 mph worse under hard acceleration .i found the cause in the end .turned out to be the sliding bearing on the inner cv joint .i replaced the drive shaft and it sorted it.when i dismantled the shaft i found major wear in the area the bearing slides in .this vibration was bad under acceleration.

Hi Cml24 and toyota diag tech 1,

Thanks for your replies. Well if the disc + wheel pair is unbalanced I would expect the vibration to always be there regardless if I accelerate or not, right? Still cleaning the mating surfaces is never bad as it might remove residual vibration.

I suspect CV joints as the shafts can easily be rotated using fingers in about 30 degree gap or even more, which seems to be too loose. Also there's often heavy wobbling and shaking when the car starts moving. The mileage is just 125K though. I don't recall having anything like that with my previous 1998 Avensis, which did over 230K during 12 years.

So..... which CV joints are the best ones at the market these days?

This issue tends to relate to the inner joint not the outer.main dealer only in my experience

This issue tends to relate to the inner joint not the outer.main dealer only in my experience

Can that inner CV joint be taken out of the gearbox w/o taking the latter apart? I think I have even come across a procedure how to do that and except for some peculiarities (particularly when inserting a new inner CV joint into the gearbox in order to not break something inside) it didn't look like something that an ordinary garage wouldn't be able to do...

Anyone can do it but part is md only or breakers

Anyone can do it but part is md only or breakers

Are we talking about parts like #43030/43040 at the pictures attached requiring replacement? Just thinking if it makes sense to replace those bearings alone w/o replacing the whole CV joints (assuming those bearings are significantly cheaper than inner CV joint assemblies of course).

post-102511-0-60665000-1335379498_thumb.

post-102511-0-35413600-1335379510_thumb.

Ye the inner joint but in my experience both the cup and tripod bearing require replacing as due to the bearing wrking in the one spot of the cup it csuses wear on the both bearibg and cup resulting in ur vibration.43030 is the part you require tripod bearing and cup

Ye the inner joint but in my experience both the cup and tripod bearing require replacing as due to the bearing wrking in the one spot of the cup it csuses wear on the both bearibg and cup resulting in ur vibration.43030 is the part you require tripod bearing and cup

Yeah fair enough - many thanks!