Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Noise After Changing Gearbox Oil

jumbojake

After noticing the gear change wasn't as slick as I remember and with 120k on the clock, I chose the change the oil in my manual gearbox (5sp).

The old oil was golden and incredibly smelly... never smelt anything like it.... new oil was clear in comparison.

The books says either GL4 or GL5 75-90 ... so I went for the GL5 (all they had in stock) and now the change is nice an smooth again .. however, I now notice a strange vibration sound above 40mph...

I thought it was a wheel bearing, but doesn't change tone when cornering, take it out of gear and it stays the same... (so not engine or primary shaft).

The noise is is like you sometimes get when driving over slightly worn tarmac... is noticeable over 40mph, not much any slower and doesn't appear any louder at higher speeds

All I can think is the gearbox... (last thing I touched) ... I've had it up on stands again and checked the oil level ... all is ok... can't feel anything unexpected rotating the wheel by hand.

Has anyone else had a similar experience... should I swap the oil again, putting GL4 in this time??

After noticing the gear change wasn't as slick as I remember and with 120k on the clock, I chose the change the oil in my manual gearbox (5sp).

The old oil was golden and incredibly smelly... never smelt anything like it.... new oil was clear in comparison.

The books says either GL4 or GL5 75-90 ... so I went for the GL5 (all they had in stock) and now the change is nice an smooth again .. however, I now notice a strange vibration sound above 40mph...

I thought it was a wheel bearing, but doesn't change tone when cornering, take it out of gear and it stays the same... (so not engine or primary shaft).

The noise is is like you sometimes get when driving over slightly worn tarmac... is noticeable over 40mph, not much any slower and doesn't appear any louder at higher speeds

All I can think is the gearbox... (last thing I touched) ... I've had it up on stands again and checked the oil level ... all is ok... can't feel anything unexpected rotating the wheel by hand.

Has anyone else had a similar experience... should I swap the oil again, putting GL4 in this time??

If the smell is like auto transmission /power steering fluid, drain and refil with ATF.

however, I now notice a strange vibration sound above 40mph...

have you changed any tyres? cheap tyres with big tread can also give you a wheel bearing worn sound.

Thanks for your replies.

I've no idea what ATF fluid smells like, but I believe ATF is normally red... the old oil was golden yellow. The book is clear to use 75W-90, GL4 or GL5 .. and looking at a few manufacturers webnsites, they vary with their recommendation, some using GL4, others using GL5.

As for tyres, I changed them about 1000miles ago .. put some mitchelin's on there... I checked tham at the week-end and they still look perfect.

When I changed my Avensis (6 speed) box oil it had to be a straight 75w grade and not a multi grade lube. I dont think I'd be using ATF fluid in a manuel box unless that its been spec'd... Have a look on the Opie Oils site to see what they suggest you use...

My daughters 2001 1.8 had a gear box oil change and very soon afterwards developed a gearbox whine. It was reaired with a new bearing. I asked what oil to use for topping up and was assured ATF was the oil to use. I dipped the gearbox and it was ATF or similar, the odour was unmistakable. It's been fine for over 30,000 miles.

just for my interest, how much dis the repair cost?

The rear gearbox bearings are the softspot on the 1,6/1,8 03 -08 avensis particuarly the ouputshaft bearing 75w90 gl4/gl5 or 75w lv is the recomended oil not atf

Yep, I've used the right oil according to the book.... (75W-90 GL5) ... my only question was if other people have noticed problems using GL5.

I still don't understand how putting fresh oil would make this happen ... never noticed it before.

Only thought is if I put too much in .... as I'm working with axle stands, the car isn't flat when I put it in. By the time it started dribbling out of the hole, I put nearly 3x 1l tubs in (spec says 2.5l). Could too much oil cause a noise...??

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links