Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

I'm So Pretty, So Pretty.... Just Blue Everywhere. :)

DFish

Craig... fish and chips on the seafront cant be beaten. :)

Fish

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tarquin

• DFish

• craggle

• PaulWorthing

Cheers David but don't worry about having to do any work on my car. I am going to fit DRL's but I've bought the stick on strips so plan to copy Taz's version and take the bumper off one day and stick them around the lights.

If you do come down this way though let me know still as I'd like to wander over and just say hello. You've offered me lots of advice on here so it would be nice to say thanks in person :)

Just as a side note I had a play with the LED strips and as you can guess they take a very small amount of current to power them. I tried connecting the positive supply to the Battery and connected the negative connection to the power cable on the side lights.

Way I see it is the LED strips will then earth through the filament of the sidelight bulb and find an earth that way but they won't draw enough current to light up the 5W sidelight bulb. When I then turned on the sidelights the LED strips are supplied with 12V positive on both connections so they went out again. They stayed out with headlights on too as I think the sidelight bulb stays illuminated when headlights are on.

Can you see any problems wiring the positive through an ignition controlled positive supply and using the sidelight power cable and bulb as an earth connection?

Cheers

Craig.

Had chips on the seafront last weekend, I was shivering, soaking wet and being blown along the seafront by a gale force wind!

How I love the English seaside! :)

Craig.

Craig your idea was a good one. But relies on a few factors. You were lucky that the potential difference on the live was nearly the same as the live on the side light.so the LED strip went off. The problem is LED's dont like inerse voltage and can break down and destroy them and if they do they will be putting a perminant voltage to the side light without a fuse direct ftom the Battery. Also because the lights are fed via the ECU , the ECU doesnt like volts being sent back the wrong way down to it and can potentially damage it for good. A far safer way is to use Dan's link and buy for the £16 the auto DRL module. They are excellent

David

Nice Dan, very nice. Go Purple! You gotta love Purple. :dontgetit:

(Now read this whilst hearing in your head the Bodyrockers tune 'I like the way you move.')

I like the daytime running lights, and the boot lights, but most of all, most of all, I like the way you've blued! Sorry, that was lame.

It does look good in blue though. I gotta get ours done like that, one day. Scene- counts pennies. DOH! More saving for the bits, more persuading of my wife to allow it... yeah I know

:bangin: Closest I can get to under the thumb. :lol2:

Ahhh, Ok, I still think of lights being ran off a simple switch, Curse these modern ECU controlled cars! :)

I'll get the DRL turn on / off module then and play it safe. :)

Thanks again

Craig.

Thinking about it that box must just hold a simple, normally closed relay?

One supply from an ignition controlled source through the normally closed switch to the DRL supply cable.

Then a supply from the sidelight power cable through the relay coil to an earth connection.

That way, turn the lights on, energise the relay coil and the DRL's will turn off.

I have no problem spending £16 if the box does more but surely I could do the same thing with a £7 normally closed or 5 pin relay from Halfords?

Craig.

Its not a simple relay inside. It hs 3 IC's various components and a power transistor. It detects voltage drop on the Battery when the engine is started there is 1/2 a second delay in swiching modes and has a 5 second hang time leaving the DRL's on after you switch your engine off Solid state far more relyable.

David

Righty oh, Order placed for one then. :)

I'll have a go at getting the bumper off and sticking the LED's on when it arrives and I'll let you know how I get on with some pictures.

Thanks again

Craig.

Shame i bought a set the same as Taz's just to see whatt they were like. You could of had them off me

David

Looking at the side emitting LED's/DRL's that David brought with him, they did look pretty slick. I was almost tempted to twist his arm off and go for them, but I wasn't brave enough. He can get a bit fierce, which shocked me a little. ;)

Fish

Not to worry, I bought the LED strips when Taz first mentioned them too but just haven't got around to fitting them yet.

Just been reading the manual though and the bumper comes off really easily so might have a bash on Monday if the weather is playing. I can fit the lights then wire them the following week once the control unit arrives. Gives me a chance to de-slime my washer bottle too.

A bit fierce ehhh, Not so sure I want to meet him now..... ;) :D

Craig.

Ok good if you can give a talk through on removing the bumper when you do it.the nearest i got to fierce was i said i didnt like wood pigeons

David

David, If you ever plan that trip to Worthing could I be so bold as to tap you up for a blue overhaul ?? Beer tokens or something would of course be available ;) Si (Live about 5 miles along the coast in shoreham is all)

Have to keep an eye out for you then Si

Paul let me know if you want me to pop down and do your DRL's or HID;s or whatever. I think Craig wants to come over to say hello also so if we can work out a date and time. I'm pretty flexable

David

Tell you the truth I just want to pop over and be nosey at your cars. Always good to get ideas. :)

Craig.

If I can make the arranged date I might also pop down to assist/annoy you all. ;)

Fish

If I could jump in as well that would be fantastic.

Paul, I'll keep an eye out as well. Not seen one of your colour on the road yet. Most around here are white. I'm a shift worker so if you guys go and make some arrangements I'll try and fit around you all ;)

Si

Looks we will have the UK's first iQ meet then. :)

Craig.

Well as soon as I have the pennies to get the DRL etc. then I will let you know and maybe see about sorting something out - but if the mini meet happens before that then count me in too!

On one of the American sites they are talking about dial colours so I showed them mine, they now want a guide written. :(

Fish

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links