Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rusting Auris On 2009 Reg

keith271197

Hi

Has anyone had rust problems with there auris.Mine is a 2009,(1) i have rust on the seat runners.(2) the steel wheels and nuts are rusting.(3) the bar that holds the bonnet open is rusting.I have had the tops of the front doors painted as they had started to rust.This was done under warranty but toyota will not do 1 2 or 3.

Can anyone give me some advice

That sounds fairly bad, it might be worth mentioning though we had a problem on our 2008 Auris where the wheel nuts (alloy wheels) were completely rusted in to the point of being seized in. It took the garage an hour, and a lot of wd40 to get them out, and at the time they said it'd been a common complaint. They didn't charge then for a new set of nuts, so it might be worth trying again on that front. I guess they will be similar on the steel wheels.

Havent had any problem with mine yet ,maybe because its a bit newer so hasnt showed up yet.

The seat runners would only really get rusty if first the paint had been chipped of and then the runners were continuely wet or damp for a fair amount of time,so i dont think they would sort that out unless it was extreme corrosion which i would dont think it would be as inside the car should usually be nice and dry.

steel wheels always rust,as do the nuts,the nuts are just untreated metal so will rust quickly,the wheels are painted black but never as good as alloys are so salt and rain soon rust them up,usually hidden by wheel trims so again unless extreme corrosion i dont think that will be covered.

bonnet stay i dont know about that,painted but not the quality of body paint so probably chips and water spray rust it up,replacement i would have thought not as its not a critical part to safety.im sure the stay could be removed and spray painted with a tin if you wanted to tidy up the bay,and the runeers could be touch up with some brush on black metal paint.

only my take on things others might say different,

phil

Hi

thanks for your reply,toyota have said no so i dont know who to contact next?

toyota pride themselves on quality,Not with my car

Although i would also probably be unhappy to because im really fussy with my cars,im sure toyotas thinking is that these are only cosmetic problems with your car,they would only probably act if everybody starting complaing about the same things as yourself,as for there not being quality,im sure the car in other ways is such as engine and running gear is reliably which is probably the most important thing with a car.

The steel wheel issue im sure if you checked other steel wheeled cars 99 percent would be rusty after 2 to 3 years old,not just toyota i mean all car manufacturers,to much cost to properly paint a steel which is never seen in usual service.

As for what to do next dont know what to suggest,dont think you would have much of a case against toyota with these things or not?

phil

Wheels nuts corroding is one thing but doors...

Have you owned this car from new or could it have some unknown history to it ?

Hi

it was a ex demo from a toyota dealer,it was 6 months old when i got it.It is 3 years old on the 1st of july this year.

Presumably the tops of the doors were done under Toyota's exterior body panel surface rust/paintwork warranty - which is 3 years from first registration. This is the most that other manufacturers who offer a paintwork warranty will do.

As regards items 1,2 and 3, unless the rust affected the operation of these items within the warranty period, I cannot see that any manufacturer would replace these.

As others have said rust on steel wheels is usually only cosmetic and hidden by wheel trims.

Hi

called toyota uk today,got a call back this afternoon saying no.so i called autoexpress and they are going to call toyota on behalf on me.

Let you know when they get back to me

Why stop there?

Maybe a call to the Daily Mail is in order, I can just see the headline now... "Toyota in rusty bonnet stay scandal"

No offence intended, but you really need to calm down and not worry about such trivial things.

Why stop there?

Maybe a call to the Daily Mail is in order, I can just see the headline now... "Toyota in rusty bonnet stay scandal"

No offence intended, but you really need to calm down and not worry about such trivial things.

Would you make the same uncalled for comment if it was you having these problems. i doubt it.

After reading and replying to this thread i decided to have a look over my own auris to look for any rust spots,mines an 19 month old hybrid model,bodywork wise no rust which i wouldnt be hoping to find on a car at that age.

under the bonnet there is a few of the hose clamps starting to show signs of rust,also the bonnet catch has a wee bit on it,although i think that is to do with lack of lubrication,ive now put on some proper grease.

Ive never really noticed these things before until i really looked,i just kind of expect a bit of that with it being just metal parts,alot of them not treated to prevent from rust,i doubt ill mention it to them at service because i would already kind of know the reply,i dont think ill try to get these sorted because sometimes it causes more hassle than its worth.

Good luck with your case though,you never know if you dont ask.

phil

Why stop there?

Would you make the same uncalled for comment if it was you having these problems. i doubt it.

Problems? A bit of surface corrosion on a 3 year old car is hardly a problem, and I will make any comments I like thank you very much.

Having slept on it the above statement may have been a bit harsh.

I am just trying to balance out these forums by offering my opinion based on over 35 years in the trade.

The OP has been back to the dealer, he said no, so instead of jumping up and down on here or phoning Autoexpress my advice would have been to pop down to Halfords and get a £5 can of satin black and spray them yourself.

Sometimes I think you need reminding that these forums are commercially run and are in no way affiliated to Toyota.

I remember the good old days when cars actually broke down, now that everything is so reliable it seems that people will moan about the smallest of things, just my opinion and I am entitled to it......

I have a few things that show a bt of rust under the bonnet like engine mounting hose clips and i know that an exhaust bracket has very little paint on it, just rust.

this is down to toyota giving these items a cheap one coat finish.

there are a few bare metal items on the engine that have no coating at all and are rusty.

never had a sign of rust like this on the 15 years i had my Passat.

If you want to see rust then you should see my Auris silencer,its bright red with rust,i ever seen a rusty exhaust lile the car has.

Local dealer says its norm for this mdel.i seen other posts mentioning this too.

More Toyota cheap and nasty short cuts and cheap materials

yes old cars could brake down but so easy to put back on the road and cheaply.

About the rusty wheel nuts, this topic has been covered before on this forum and it was found that dealers would replace them.

I can relate to Keiths concerns after already having had the tops of the door rusting. O.K a bonnet prop rusting is not the end of the world (painting it will only be a short term solution as the rust will return) but seat runners as well. Very strange.

A bit of surface corrosion on a three year old car is not acceptable in my humble opinion. We spend a lot of our hard earned money on a consumer durable and it should be just that. Not rusting away before our very eyes.

Hi

I have tried again to get toyota to do these things but have got another no. Autoexpress have not yet replied. I have now called What Car- they asked me for photographs and are speaking to Toyotas press officer on my behalf.

Hope you come to a satisfactiory conclusion. Keep us informed.

Hi

had good news back,please read the email for what car

Hi Keith,

I hope you're well.

I've spoken to the guys at Toyota and they have kindly agreed to cover the costs of any repairs that need to be carried out.

You need to get in contact with Stephen Hinshelwood and Richard Seymour (email address above) and let them know the full details of the garage in question.

They will contact the garage themselves to arrange for the work to be done.

I hope this helps – anything else you need don’t hesitate to get in touch.

Many thanks,

Rory

Rory White

Used car writer

Great news.

Its a bit concernig that you had to go through all this to get a result, perhaps a lesson for us all.

Well done.

No issues with my 2009 model. All seems ok at the moment.

I have slight different issues

Hi

Wot issues do you have?

Hi everyone,overall am happy this work is being done.Its not be easy as ive that no said to me again and again.

Dont give up and try wot i did,it worked for me,it may work for you.

Thanks to all who reply with there view.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone

Had the seat runners replaced today.The fitters at bateman toyota did the job and in doing so scratched the kick plates on both sides of the car lifting the seats out.Just show you had they care about your car

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links