Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Gears

nisnote

hi my gears are getting harded to change,when i change to 1st there is a slight squeak.i think its the gear stick linkage that needs lubricating, how do i remove trim to get to linkages?

• 2 weeks later...

You are probably right about the linkages. I had my lubricated under warranty due to issue like yours.

The Gear Lever surround just lifts up and clips off, but there is not much to see in there, just the bottom ball of the Gear Lever and the two operating cables. I to had the same squeak and i traced it to the gear linkage on top of the gearbox under the bonnet. Look on top of the gearbox just about under the Battery / Air Filter housing and you will see the part in question, there will possibly be signs of dry rust. The offending part has a ball on the end of a short lever which is the shift between 1 St and 2 Nd gears, pack it with some copper slip grease and the noise goes, Good luck.

thanks Big Auris i lubricated the gear linkages and gears are easier to change

• 1 year later...

Can anyone please post a photo of the linkage that has been greased above because i'm looking and can't seem to find this ball part... lol..

Many thanks for any info guys....

Hustler...

On the front of the gearbox. looking down between the Battery, Air filter Convoluted Hose, and Radiator Hose you will see a small rod with a ball type end, that is connected to the main selector shaft going into the front of the gearbox. There is a cast unit with a approximately 10mm wide slot, if you can get someone to move the gear lever between 3rd and 4th gear you will see part of the linkage sliding in this slot, there will also be the possibility of signs of rust residue, that's the part that requires lubrication, you can also see the same movement when moving the gear lever between 1st and 2nd gear position. Due to the awkward position of this it is about impossible to take a picture of this part, hope this description helps, Big Auris

Thanks Big Auris.... Ive asked my mate to take a look as I know nothing about cars...

Used some copper spray grease on the linkage.... There is now no squeak what so ever.. Also the gears do seem to slip into gear much more easily....

Many Thanks Big Auris for the information... Very helpful....

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links