Do Not Sell My Personal Information

broken key in ignition barrel

jimjam

Right i got a 1990 mr2 g-limited and the tip of the key has snapped in the ignition barrel (only key i got as well)

Can any one tell me how to remove the ignition barrel and if i can get a replacment key (without the key).

There is a number on the key it has 1 letter and 4 numbers is this the key number????

If you have the number [one letter/four numbers] Toyota will be able to provide you with a new key, although I would imagine it will cost a fair whack.

As for the barrel if your getting a replacemtn key could the AA/RAC not remove it from the Barrell ???

is that the key number as i went to get a key cut and they said it wasnt anything to do with the key layout also do you know how to remove the barrel

I checked my key's this morning and have the same Key numbering system, would find it amusing if it was anything else, why give a key an individual number if it wasn't to identify it. I have just phoned my local Toyota to confirm that that number is the Key Identifier and they said yes, your local dealer is talking out of his.... All you need to give them is the Key Number [Xnnn], chassis number and model number so the **-SW20-*****, Toyota will then send offor the blank as the Jap keys are different, then send it away for cutting. It is a service Toyota can definately provide. Try go into your local Dealer again and give that info stating you have spoken to another dealer and know it can be done.

As for getting the key out the Barrell all I could suggest was the AA/RAC or a local locksmith...