Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cost Of Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

Cathl27

Hi Guys

Can anyone tell me how much it should cost to have my front wheel bearings replaced?

Cheers

Cat x

The bearings are around £30 per wheel. A competent DIYer could swap one in around an hour. So a garage shouldn't charge much more. The main thing preventing people doing it themselves is the requirement of a press to swap the bearings over.

All in is should be £75 tops. (£130 for both) Wheel alignment isn't necessary and don't let the garage tell you it is as they'll charge and extra £35.

Thanks Gary!

Very much appreciated.

x

All you need to do is buy the bearing at a motor factor and get a garage to remove old bearing and fit the one you have brought.

That is true. Most garages aren't happy doing this and will therefore charge at least £20 for the privilege. They would prefer to do the entire job themselves. At that price it makes it less economic for the DIYer.

That is true. Most garages aren't happy doing this and will therefore charge at least £20 for the privilege. They would prefer to do the entire job themselves. At that price it makes less economic sense for the DIYer.

That is true. Most garages aren't happy doing this and will therefore charge at least £20 for the privilege. They would prefer to do the entire job themselves. At that price it makes less economic sense for the DIYer.

My local garage charged me £10 for the job.plus loaned me a socket for the hub nut.

But then not all garages are like that.

My local Toyota dealership used to be a Ford and BMC dealers.

they used to let me use their ramp a couple of times on Saturday mornings when things were a bit slow. Dont expect they would now. that was back in 1970s

Out of interest, how much did this job cost you?

I've just had a quote from a small independent.... £175 (for one wheel!!)

£30 for the part, the rest for labour.... the only thing stopping me is access to a press... for £145 I might be able to buy one!!

Guys!!!!!!! Help Me!!!

My local garage has quoted me £316 to replace the wheel bearings!!! They said they cost £71 each and three and a half hours labour!!!

What should I do??

On-line prices are here:

https://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&gs_nf=1&ds=pr&pq=toyota%20wheel%20bearing%20front&cp=15&gs_id=3z&xhr=t&q=toyota+avensis+wheel+bearing+front&pf=p&safe=off&tbm=shop&sclient=psy-ab&oq=toyota+avensis+wheel+bearing+front&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=b9e7ad663ce380a2&biw=1111&bih=558

Similar to over-the-counter prices at a motor factor. They must be pricing a genuine part?

Undo and secure brake caliper;

Undo drive shaft nut;

Split steering track rod end;

Undo 6 bolts to release hub;

Swap bearing;

Re-fit.

I cannot see how that is 3 1/2 hours labour?

Jumbo - when I replaced the bearing on my old Carina E I bought a low mileage complete hub assembly (including lower ball-joint) from a dismantler for £35. This avoided using a press etc. and make the job a simple unbolt/bolt-on procedure. You may wish to consider this.

Never thought of fitting a second hand bearing, but I get your point.... for a fraction of the cost I could keep going for a bit, and the old one out, I could have some time to try and extract the old bearing ready for the next one..... nice thinking!!

hmm ... just getting some quotes back from on-line breakers.... they are talking about £120 - £160 for a second hand hub .... I must be getting old :-(

A press isn't neccesary, I use a common bench vice for all mine and just use a pair of suitably sized sockets to push them in and out with! When I worked at a dealer I preferred to use the bench vice as it was much faster than setting the press up! ;)

A press isn't neccesary, I use a common bench vice for all mine and just use a pair of suitably sized sockets to push them in and out with! When I worked at a dealer I preferred to use the bench vice as it was much faster than setting the press up! ;)

Really, on a T25 Avensis ........ I doubt it, but hey if you have well ........ :g:.

I use a vice on all wheel bearings regardless of make or model and haven't been stumped yet. Worst scenario is bearing splitting on removal and leaving the outside inner race on the hub, but a little heat in the correct place and some persuasion with a hammer and large punch sort that out in no time at all. 20 years mechanical experience always beats expensive unnnecesary tools in my book. ;)

I use a vice on all wheel bearings regardless of make or model and haven't been stumped yet. Worst scenario is bearing splitting on removal and leaving the outside inner race on the hub, but a little heat in the correct place and some persuasion with a hammer and large punch sort that out in no time at all. 20 years mechanical experience always beats expensive unnnecesary tools in my book. ;)

Agreed at most you need another pair of hands to hold things straight until you lock it up and a good piece of scaffold bar on the handle oh and a half decent vice always helps

Agreed at most you need another pair of hands to hold things straight until you lock it up and a good piece of scaffold bar on the handle oh and a half decent vice always helps

Alan & Paul,

I don't want to disagree with you both on the possibility of your method of removing the bearing working and yes some bearings can be removed that way ...... after more years than I wish to remember working out of the back of a service van I should know more than most people .... i've had to do it on heavy plant, trucks, etc etc and improvisation was the name of the game ... oooh yes! But given a customers car in a workshop I would choose the correct way all the time every time. Why would you chance damaging the hub and the vice when a press was a few paces away ;).

All the best lads, no offence intended .... Pete. :cheers:

Guys, can I get some advice?

My car has been making a faint very high pitched whistle from the front end (drivers side front wheel I think) for months and I can't pin it down at all.

I have lifted every wheel and checked for play, roughness or anything catching and I have also checked the drive shafts for play as well as the boots. I'm 90% sure it's the wheel bearing but haven't heard them make this sort of noise before, has anyone else?

The noise is fairly constant, and only changes according to the vehicle speed.

Cheers

None taken, in my previous employment for the government of the day most of the workshops i served in were never scaled for a hydraulic press so the bench vice was an essential piece of kit, also good for bushes, especially in the middle of a field in the middle of the night working out the back of the fitter truck

None taken, in my previous employment for the government of the day most of the workshops i served in were never scaled for a hydraulic press so the bench vice was an essential piece of kit, also good for bushes, especially in the middle of a field in the middle of the night working out the back of the fitter truck

Thanks Paul, it's sometimes difficult getting across an opinion without sounding opinionated which I'm not, I hope Alan feels the same way.

"in the middle of a field in the middle of the night working out the back of the fitter truck", yes that brings back a few memories Paul, some good and some bad ... LOL!

Best regards .... Pete.

No offence taken at all Pete, I have seen many incidents where parts have been damaged in a press through a lack of "feel". At the end of the day it's the person USING the tool causing the damage rather than the tool itself. I was in the trade for 20 years and found that in most of the main dealer workshops (apart from the very best I worked in) the presses (if they even had one) were in a poor state of repair due to mis-use by monkeys! ;) Also as this thread was looking at it from a "d.i.y." perspective, it's easier to access a half decent vice than it is a hydraulic press! Also I believe that a decent "independant" garage usually take more time and care than greedy main dealers anyway.................

• 10 years later...

does anyone know mechanic in Wolverhampton who can replace front offside wheel bearing Toyota auris hybrid 2013 ?i have been quoted £200 by my local garage.Des Wolves

2 hours ago, darshanpooni said:

does anyone know mechanic in Wolverhampton who can replace front offside wheel bearing Toyota auris hybrid 2013 ?i have been quoted £200 by my local garage.Des Wolves

£200 for parts and labour or only for the part? It seems cheap to me if all in. The wheel bearing is a hub assembly and highly recommend to buy original or highest possible aftermarket brand SKF or Blueprint. They start at £130 upwards. Carparts4less or eBay with discount code can work too. 
Very important the mechanic needs to replace the nut and torque to the spec with torque wrench as the torque sets the bearing tension and if wrong the new one won’t last long. 👍 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links