Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aygo Engine Rattling Sound (Link)

Rolexas

Hello Toyota owners. Recently i bought my aygo. Its 2006 and done 100k miles (yes, a lot, was used on motorway probably), drove back home, parked it into garage, kept there for few weeks, changed engine oil (used Castrol magnatec 5w30 fully) , filter, gearbox oil. Started driving and after 2 or 3 days (or it was from the start, i just didn't notice it) heard a strange rattling sound coming from the engine. Tried to google for it but there are countless of different sounds and countless possible problems starting with poor quality petrol and ending with water pumps, oil pressures, timming chains or bearings.

As far as i noticed i get this sound on cold engine, only from ~1800 rpm's and only then accelerating in gear, no sound in idle. Then engine gets hot rattling disappears or very very quiet.

I tried to record this sound with my phone so sound quality isnt the best. Plus it become even worse after uploading to youtube, so please, listen loud and i hope you hear it. Below the video i left a comment then it rattles the loudest.

Thanks for your advises.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zE9QcLC5CVE

i also attach short version for winamp or any other program to listen:

Voice 002 (1).mp3

Any ideas? :ermm: planning to go to garage but would be better at least to know what to look for first.

Did you use a original toyota oil filter?

They have a non return valve fitted to stop oil draining out, I have noticed that when a non toyota filter is used the engine 'rattles' when first started from cold.

Sorry, can't hear a rattle from your recording. Sounds just like a normal Aygo.

A common problem on earlier models was rattling from loose baffles in the silencer box but I thought it was cured before 2006.

A problem that I had with a cold engine under load was a tappety noise caused by piston slap. Engine was rebuilt under warranty but lots of people think piston slap at cold is harmless.

No, i didn't use original toyota oil filter. Used Halfords one (probably crap, but can a filter be so important?)

C_U Jimi. Sound is in a background of normal engine sound. as i said, kinda poor sound quality. At video link to youtube i posted the timing then it can be heard best. In real, its much more louder.

Plus some of the reasons cannot be the problem since its rattling only in gear and its fine in idle.

• 1 year later...

I had a Celica years ago, did an oil and filter change, the engine was noisy for the first few seconds until the oil got round, that was down to a non original oil filter from the local spares shop. I thought the engine was finished, it had only done 37,000 miles, i off loaded the car on a part ex to a car dealer, one of the worst mistakes car wise i ever made. I know the car dealer did an oil and filter change again with a genuine filter with internal non return valve and all was ok so for the price of another filter, try an OE one it's worth a try. Just because a filter fits does not mean it is ok for the car. Good luck!

Mike.

I had a Celica years ago, did an oil and filter change, the engine was noisy for the first few seconds until the oil got round, that was down to a non original oil filter from the local spares shop. I thought the engine was finished, it had only done 37,000 miles, i off loaded the car on a part ex to a car dealer, one of the worst mistakes car wise i ever made. I know the car dealer did an oil and filter change again with a genuine filter with internal non return valve and all was ok so for the price of another filter, try an OE one it's worth a try. Just because a filter fits does not mean it is ok for the car. Good luck!

Mike.

Hi, it's not for the first few seconds this noise occurs. It stops once the engine is warm say after 6 miles of driving. I am thinking it is something to do with the exhaust manifold as it only does it when either revved or is in gear with the engine under load. Tickover there is no tappet noise.

Does your car have a heat shield, a thin piece of metal covering the exhaust manifold, these often rust around the bolt fixings, a bigger washer under the bolt usually does the trick if you can undo the bolt as they tend to rust in.

Mike

Well its overalls on and under the car to inspect the exhaust

Thanks for the replies, it goes into Mr T's on Thursday I have made them aware of the issue. It recently has had a new aux belt don't recall the noise before this was changed could it be anything to do with that?

It does seem more exhaust fault related, but keep us apprised of the outcome :)

• Like 1

I took the car in for a service and was handed a 13 plate Aygo with 6500 miles on it. The car was stone cold when I drove it away and it made the same sound although not as lot as mine I suspect the sound deadening has been increased on the later models so not overly worried. It was identified the waterpump was leaking so got this replaced. Overall the car got a very clean bill of health, the only advisory were the front brakes the pads are 75% worn which I knew. I have a brand new set of Toyota discs and pads waiting to go on in the garage at home just waiting for some warmer weather my hands don't do cold!

Car feels good after it's service and pleased I had it done as buying used privately is a risk. Think I judged my purchase pretty well.