Do Not Sell My Personal Information

P0420 And P0430 Fault Showing

Bristim

Hi All

Problem with the RAV - I did a run over the bank hols up to that bonny place north of the border inhabited by Charlie, Big Kev etc. etc. Lovely time.... :meet: but it was the first proper drive I have done since I had one of the O2 sensors in the Cat replaced last month at my local Mr.T dealer (using the train for work at the moment).

On my way back south I had the engine managment light come on :crybaby: , so as the O2 sensor had just gone, I thought that maybe they are all reaching life end and another has gone. Several curses later I drove the last few miles carefully and then took the RAV down to Mr.T.

Just got a phone call - the catalytic convertor needs replacing - the fault codes showing are for both Bank 1 (P0420) and Bank 2 (P0430) - now with a bit of searching, there was a recent thread which Charlie pointed Del at the below...

http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_1979wt_1270

This seems to show 2 separate convertors, one for each bank? :help:

If that is the case, how come both have gone simultaneously? Could this be down to age (8 years, 120,000 miles) as Mr.T says, or could it be down to something to do with them stripping the thread on the sensor last month and sending it off for a Helicoil to be fitted - e.g. the matrix got damaged somehow, being dropped, metal swarf etc.???

Finally, they are quoting nearly £800 for a replacement Cat, including labour - which seems extortionate when looking at the previous thread from Crofter in February. :jawdrop:

Googling around, there appear to be suggestions that a dodgy O2 sensor could still cause this, or the MAF sensor, or the ECU...

Any thoughts on what the dealer has said and what I should do? I am thinking that I could just drive it for while and then get a second opinion? From the sound of it, this would not damage anything except the allegedly iffy Cat?

Finally - I swapped the Battery from the tiny one to a 'normal' sized one last month as per various guides and Anchorman's info on here - since then the O2 sensor blew and now this - there isn't any chance I have done something daft electrically to damage my precious RAV is there? Doubt it but got to ask.... :help2:

Read the first link in my sig.

I posted this from my sunday paper on here a few years ago. Worth a read.rav4.jpg

Also you mentioned they helicoiled it.

If the sensors are not sitting at the correct depth in the exhaust, they can cause problems.

Is the cat, part of where they screw into?

Also you mentioned they helicoiled it.

If the sensors are not sitting at the correct depth in the exhaust, they can cause problems.

Is the cat, part of where they screw into?

Yes it is - this is what worries me and thanks, useful to know - I do not trust this dealer any more and reckon I am being ripped off, it is just that they have the monopoly in the area.

Read the first link in my sig.

Thanks Bob, but does not really answer the question - I know where the sensors are, the question is can the garage have damaged the Cat in replacing one of them?

If they've stripped the thread and the helicoil has popped out, then they could be saying new cat because of this also?

Have a look yourself or get a 2nd opinion

I would not hesitate to agree with jedi on getting another estimate,

How about an indie?

One question I asked myself was could I warrant spending,which was for me,around 25% of the cars value on this for an OEM replacement.

If I remember rightly when manufacturers started fitting cats there was talk in the press that they would need changing every three years!!

New cheaper components have now been found to substitute the precious metals used before,hence the lowering of costs,think ceramics come into this but thats way, way (as some say) above my ken

Del

I had the same problem recently, with the same codes. Bob on the forum, helped tremendously, and my local garage in Spain cleaned the sensors, and also an injector. the car runs more smoothly, and having done a 400 mile run, no more engine light! My car is a 2003 petrol, so no help for you there. Am I right in saying that if the cats go there could also be an accompanying smell of bad eggs!! I would get a second opinion from an independent.