Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bonnet Protector

Windzup

Well maybe not bonnet as its so titchy but i'm after a cover for the front of the IQ as i do a fair bit of motorway driving and as the front of the car is fairly flat it tends to take stones and debree full on causing unsightly chips. Anyone know if there's anything available on the market or is it a case of sticking some Carbon Fibre roll on it.

Well maybe not bonnet as its so titchy but i'm after a cover for the front of the IQ as i do a fair bit of motorway driving and as the front of the car is fairly flat it tends to take stones and debree full on causing unsightly chips. Anyone know if there's anything available on the market or is it a case of sticking some Carbon Fibre roll on it.

A paint protection film like 3M's "Venture Shield"?

http://www.3mcarcare.co.uk/PaintProtection.php

A clear bra is a good solution. I had the entire front end covered and it's working out great.

DSCN0086.jpg

DSCN0088.jpg

Hood, front end, front lip, headlights, mirrors and front edge of body kit side skirts are all covered with clear bra. No need to wax the covered parts either.

• Like 1

I was cleaning my car yesterday and found myself getting p*ssed off with all the mess the front collects. Stone chips, bugs, bird crap, tar... if I had my car from new and was aware of the 'clear bra' or 3M's venture Shield, I would have it fitted. On the lights, all over the front of the car.

So, I recommend anyone reading this to get it done, to save the damage to your car when it comes time to sell it. You will be pleased you did. Just to save the hassle of paint being removed by stones, bug splatter, tar... it makes sense. It is an investment, unlike new wheels for your car. They won't help it sell any better; okay they might, but not with a messed up front end. If money didn't matter, I'd do it right now.

Yes sadly most all paints from the Japanese manufacturers use soft paint for some reason. I do wish they took a leaf out of the German's manual and made it rock hard instead.

Fish

^^^ So true, sad, but true.

Same problem with the Urban cruiser, the front profile of the bonnet is an haven for Stone chips.

Regards Clare

We are saving the planet now, so that means water based paints.

& everything that can save weight is being cut, thats including the thickness of paint.

Dont believe that in 2012 German or any other European cars have better or more robust paint finishes, because they dont in general.

Only time can tell how paint finishes will last 10 years or more down the line.

They can do all the 'compressed and extreme testing they like', its only once you live with that car years round that you get to know how it wears.

I am a Spray Painter, but now stick to basic Base Colours & a good quality/strong lacquer finish which is easy to touch up.

Still breaks my heart when stones are being thrown on my cars while driving.

Must be down to Low profile wider tyres, less cars with mud flaps , higher speeds & bad road surface treatments.

Had more gravel/stone chips in the last 5 years than in the previous 30 years of polishing & cherishing cars paintwork..

george

EDIT PS

Remember that this craze for 'Claying' is not much better for paint than over 'T-Cutting' or Compounding used to be.

(fine for the occasional use to bring back dead paintwork & then build up the wax protection again,

but should not be a twice a year type event)

Your already thin Top coat or Lacquer 'can not' take years worth of 'Cutting Back' and thinning the protection.

Expect if you are keeping the vehicle for 'long time mister', that you might need that vehicle Re-Lacquered at a paintshop. Something that you might think is worth getting done right from new if you want a car to stay with you through a 7 year warranty.

Or just Polish & Wax it from new, & do not use Grits & abrasives when detailing your car.

(your modern paintwork will actually last OK with Washing & polish & a wax, if its just a nice car you are after and not some show finish. You will need to remove wax in spots sometimes to touch up paint though, obviously.)

• Like 1

Stone chips are not a problem in Portugal - there is no traffic! The cost of fuel and newly introduced tolls has reduced the already low levels of traffic by 60%. I drove on the A1 motorway (Portugals M1) a distance of 115km on Sunday and counted 13 cars, even on week days between 10am and 7pm the roads are virtually deserted.

Why is there no facility to delete a post, I tried to correct a spelling mistake and ended up with two identical posts

EDIT PS Remember that this craze for 'Claying' is not much better for paint than over 'T-Cutting' or Compounding used to be. (fine for the occasional use to bring back dead paintwork & then build up the wax protection again, but should not be a twice a year type event) Your already thin Top coat or Lacquer 'can not' take years worth of 'Cutting Back' and thinning the protection. Expect if you are keeping the vehicle for 'long time mister', that you might need that vehicle Re-Lacquered at a paintshop. Something that you might think is worth getting done right from new if you want a car to stay with you through a 7 year warranty. Or just Polish & Wax it from new, & do not use Grits & abrasives when detailing your car. (your modern paintwork will actually last OK with Washing & polish & a wax, if its just a nice car you are after and not some show finish. You will need to remove wax in spots sometimes to touch up paint though, obviously.)

The way I read the info on the clay Bar is that it says it "is none abbrasive" so now I am confused by your comment?

If you are Claying and removing some oxidation, road grime with the use of plenty of lubricating & taking care there will be no major abrasion.

Doesnt take much to build up a film of what you are rubbing and cleaning it turning into a paste which will be abrasive.

Most Detailers are not Claying to just clean,

they are going for a mirror like smooth finish, and that requires removing inperfections.

That imperfections are in or on your Top coat and the Protection.

Not a very thick top Lacquer coat on most iQ colours.

Many Customisers vehicles are not in the original manufacturers or water based paints and can be cut back many many times.

Many manufacturers paint finishes are pretty imperfect.

Toyota do a pretty good finish unless you are really after perfection. JMO obviously.

Only suggesting to rub with care even if it is a clay Bar (over use over several years will tell)

& dont use T-Cut, Colour Match or other miracle scratch removers & disguisers.

george

8 hard years of all weathers & just polishing & waxing.

• 2 months later...

Ive covered my bonnet with carbon fibre

With the bonnet being tiny compared to the front of the car, would it offer any real protection?

I get more stone chips on the front bumper than the bonnet. The bonnet looks immaculate compared to the front end so in my opinion a bonnet bra would serve no purpose what so ever. (Unless you want it for show.) Not my thing though

Trouble is with this is where do you stop ? What we are talking about is normal wear and tear and companies selling these type or protection do somewhat play on driver's paranoia.

Even with the film attached some stone impacts will still cause damage I reckon.

Covering the front of the car in plastic won't stop some ***** opening their door and dinging yours. So side protection strips are available for the concerned.

Like I said ... where do you stop? Covering the seats in plastic to protect them?

Just bear in mind huge leaps have been made in smart repairs from companies like Chips Away and Dent Devils- both of which I have used to great effect in the past - and also don't forget windscreen chip repair . I had a HUGE crease in the door of a previous car a week after I bought it. 15 minutes at Dent Devils and it was gone completely.

The clear film process look hugely expensive and must surely approach the cost of a frontal respray on such a small car. It will however be MUCH more expensive than a SMART repair to the (relatively) tiny damaged areas.

Maybe save your money and deal with any damage as and when it (inevitably) occurs.

I was cleaning my car yesterday and found myself getting p*ssed off with all the mess the front collects. Stone chips, bugs, bird crap, tar... if I had my car from new and was aware of the 'clear bra' or 3M's venture Shield, I would have it fitted. On the lights, all over the front of the car.

So, I recommend anyone reading this to get it done, to save the damage to your car when it comes time to sell it. You will be pleased you did. Just to save the hassle of paint being removed by stones, bug splatter, tar... it makes sense. It is an investment, unlike new wheels for your car. They won't help it sell any better; okay they might, but not with a messed up front end. If money didn't matter, I'd do it right now.

Hopefully TAZ can tell us if its worth it and good value etc etc.

But ........

An idle Google around this lunch time reveals that this stuff is far from indestructible and is actually visible when it is on the car (think screen protector on a smart phone) particularly when its weathered a bit. Some report that sections need replacing after a couple of years (again at considerable expense)

The cost can be huge ( we can be talking well north of £1000) and as I pointed out earlier a respray or smart repair would be much cheaper ) - Maybe TAZ cab comment on cost.

Worth bearing in mind that a lot of Smart repairers (Dent Devil and Chips away) will not even contemplate doing "chip repair" on cars, due to the sheer amount of time taken with each one. Would you simply not be better after a certain amount of time just having the front end resprayed?

Regards Clare

Just buy a new bumper for approx £80 on eBay then get it sprayed to match your car colour, cant be too much to get it sprayed?! lol

I do agree though, mine collects bugs on the front! Just keep it waxed and they come off easily with a pressure washer / bucket and songe

• Like 1

• 9 years later...
On 7/20/2012 at 7:26 PM, Manxrav said:

Worth bearing in mind that a lot of Smart repairers (Dent Devil and Chips away) will not even contemplate doing "chip repair" on cars, due to the sheer amount of time taken with each one. Would you simply not be better after a certain amount of time just having the front end resprayed?

Regards Clare

I solved that problem with chips and preventing future rust with installing a bonnet deflector. It protects from the small stones and insects on the road. Here is one for the IQ much cheaper then those on eBay at £35.78 but check the shipping price to your address:

https://deflectors.eu/en/product/hood-bonnet-deflector-bug-shield-for-toyota-iq-2008-2015-scion-iq-us-and-canada-aston-martin-cygnet-europe-singulato-ic3-china/

The carbon fibers are also a good solution, covering all the hood. It's matter of taste. The bonnet deflector will protect also the windshield at high speeds. The shown from TAZ is very good idea too!

Best regards,
Emo

lol. its funny i have just installed this deflector on my 2009 iq... if nothing else it makes it easier to pick my car out in a carpark...easy to fit and just needs adjusting with the rubber stoppers if it comes into contact with any of the fittings like headlights etc.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2021 at 12:05 PM, buddyspudface said:

lol. its funny i have just installed this deflector on my 2009 iq... if nothing else it makes it easier to pick my car out in a carpark...easy to fit and just needs adjusting with the rubber stoppers if it comes into contact with any of the fittings like headlights etc.

Nice! 🙂 Yes, you will notice it easier among the others - true. 😄

Well, the rubber dampers should be somewhere in the middle imaginative line from the left to the right of the bonnet deflector. So I stick them on the hood under the deflector on several places to support it and fix it (to make it not tremble at all while driving). Nice. Share a photo if you find some time.

3 pics of protector .. not the best finish on the plastic in particular the edge closest to the windscreen and the fittings should have been stainless steel. other than that for £50 not a bad investment .. 

20211028_074455.jpg

20211028_074429.jpg

20211028_111808.jpg

Looks nice (as much as I can see through the fence)! 🙂 For sure it will protect the bonnet. Just I noticed you didn't tighten the screws underneath the bonnet (or maybe you were just about to do it). If you missed that , you might want to fix the deflector there so that it doesn't fall:

screws needed.jpg

• Like 1