Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris D4-D Engine Blew Up Today Unexpectedly...

johnny01

Hi to everyone on the forum :-)

A rather strange, curious and sad tale. Today my wife was driving her father's 2009 Yaris when without warning the car skidded to a halt and died. When I drove out to investigate I found that the engine wouldn't turn at all and after some investigation I noticed what looked like a box spanner in the bottom of the engine bay.

I managed to reach down and pulled it out, totally surprised to find it was a gudgeon pin! I also managed to recover some odd scraps of aluminium although some other pieces remained out of reach. There was a large spray of engine oil over some of the rubber hoses suggesting a breach of the engine casing although there was no large pool of oil underneath the car.

Mr T towed the car back to their workshop, equally surprised at what had happened. Luckily the car is (just) under warranty, but it's a total mystery. Full Mr T service history, 19,000 miles from new and well looked after. Plenty of oil in the crankcase when I checked after the engine failure. The engine failed shortly after turning a low speed left hand turn, then accelerated to around 20mph and just out of 2nd into 3rd gear when it blew along a straight and level road.

I've (hopefully) attached some images of the various components that should be inside the engine and not out of it. Anyone any thoughts or ideas or heard of anything similar? Component failure likely?

Rather sadly - Johnny

post-13937-0-13628700-1336678695_thumb.j

An assortment of broken parts

post-13937-0-83407500-1336678726_thumb.j

A rather sorry looking gudgeon pin

post-13937-0-97083300-1336678736_thumb.j

Shards of metal inside the gudgeon pin

Component failure likely?

I'd go with that - unless you are thinking about divorce soon, in which case it was her fault :)

No, it wasn't my beloved Yaris T-Pot, I'd be heart-broken if it was!

Apparenty Toyota are sending someone to look at the engine, they say they have never heard of one of these engines destroying itself in that manner. Their tone, a little disconcertingly, was almost "we've never heard of this happening, therefore it must be your fault!" so I am interested to hear of any other problems anyone else might've heard of.

That looks nasty. Fortunately it seems to be very rare. Is the car still under warranty? Any progress in getting it sorted?

I'm interested to hear what they conclude after inspection. What are you hoping for? A brand new lump?

That looks nasty. Fortunately it seems to be very rare. Is the car still under warranty? Any progress in getting it sorted?

They would not admit it was a known issue,would they.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links