Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1Zz-Fe Engine Oil Problem Worldwide?

Robert Payne

Hi All,

First post in here, my partner and I are looking at getting a 2000+ Toyota Celica but have done our due diligence to discover the common 1ZZ-FE oil burning problem,

We're located in New Zealand and a lot of the vehicles we get are imported from Japan. We are really trying to find out if theres any way to be sure whether or not an engine is victim of only have the 4-holes in the piston rings?

Right now we're attempting to ask the owners of cars for sale whether they have any service history of fixing the issue but most seem to be completely oblivious which made me think that maybe it has never been a problem here.

Any help appreciated! We really don't want to spend so much money on a 90-100,000 KM one just to find it blowing oil and need a rebuild / swap.

-Robert

If you are after a 140, you need to buy a 2003 model onwards. All pre-2003 (pre-face lifts we'd say here) have a design flaw that CAN cause excess oil burning, though not all develop it.

If you want 100% hassle free, then 2003 onwards. This will also have a spotted grile in the bumper instead of a small rectangle grile with the Toyota Badge on.

Hey Edwardio,

Sounds good I think we'll just keep looking until we find a 2003+ we're not in a rush anyways and I don't want to waste my time with any sort of problems like that.

The engines here are 1ZZ-FE 143HP ( Japan Imports ) and the New Zealand New ones are all on a 2ZZ engine anyways.

Edit:

It appears a lot of pre-2003 models here may have the facelift?

2003 (New?): http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/78/213893678_full.jpg

2001 (New?): http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/70/215952170_full.jpg

2001 (Old?): http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/36/213475136_full.jpg

Thanks again,

-Robert

That's right the first 2 are facelift models and the last one is a pre-facelift.

Hmm so we shouldn't be worried with the Facelift? They still has the 1ZZ-FE engines which is what i was concerned about.

Just want to be 100% sure.

Hmm so we shouldn't be worried with the Facelift? They still has the 1ZZ-FE engines which is what i was concerned about. Just want to be 100% sure.

The facelift 1ZZ engines were redesigned to fix the issue. Just make sure you service it correctly & check the oil regularly. That was what was the cuase of the initial problem. Yes there was a design flaw, but if all the owners from day the car was bought, serviced it right & checked the oil there would be so many 1ZZ engines burning oil.

An update!

We're getting an inspection tomorrow on a used 2001 Toyota Celica link: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=473026639.

What's strange about it is it has the Facelift ( both front and rear ) but is labeled as a 2001, I tried to check everything I could in terms of model numbers etc.. but I couldn't find anything that would state it's not a "2001". It was imported from Japan to New Zealand but the odometer was inspected for tampering and we saw a full report about it and it looks good.

During the test drive it shifted nice and the oil was very clean and no signs that they had just "topped it up". The guy seemed pretty genuine.

We'll see how the inspection goes tomorrow but with all luck my partner and I will have a shiny Celica!

An update!

We're getting an inspection tomorrow on a used 2001 Toyota Celica link: http://www.trademe.c...x?id=473026639.

What's strange about it is it has the Facelift ( both front and rear ) but is labeled as a 2001, I tried to check everything I could in terms of model numbers etc.. but I couldn't find anything that would state it's not a "2001". It was imported from Japan to New Zealand but the odometer was inspected for tampering and we saw a full report about it and it looks good.

During the test drive it shifted nice and the oil was very clean and no signs that they had just "topped it up". The guy seemed pretty genuine.

We'll see how the inspection goes tomorrow but with all luck my partner and I will have a shiny Celica!

The link doesn't work for me.

So it has the facelift front bumper and facelift tail lights?

The best think to do is contact Toyota with the Vin number to see if it's ever had the engine problem done under warranty. If they say no, then be carefull. A car inspection like the RAC do, will not look into that I wouldn't think.

On the test drive, did you take it over 6k revs for a duration of time? Max torque is reach at about 4.2k revs, VVT-i kicks in at about 6.4k revs.

Hey Edwardio,

Sorry about the link:

215952170_full.jpg

215952212_full.jpg

215952386_full.jpg

215952327_full.jpg

215952260_full.jpg

There's not much you can do about contacting toyota on japanese imports in New Zealand, the car is immaculate and appears to be a Face Lift model.

I'm not sure if I specifically took it over 6k revs, will it make a difference? I can probably do it today after the inspection if the guy is cool with it is there anything I should be looking for when it hits those revs?

It looks like a facelift. Is the interior (all the plastic dash etc) dark or is it grey? If its grey its a prefacelift. If dark, then its a facelift.

The 1zz & 2zz engine are high revving engines, so to get the full performance out of them they need to be revved high. As I said earlier the Variable Valve Timing does not engage until 6.4k revs. This is the point when the engine is giving it's full performance. The car will have a little surge of power, though not as much as when 'lift' kicks in on a 190.

You need to take the engine that high (I'd take it to 7k revs) to ensure the Valve Timing changes. Basically give it the beans! Really push it in 2nd, 3rd & 4th.

Tell the guy you need to drive the car for a little bit of time over 6k revs to ensure the VVT is working. If he says no, then walk away (though he might not know it needs to go that high himself).

We actually did not get it. The inspection came back not great.

It had a lot of hidden issues and the Facelift had been retrofitted onto it! Inspector said the car seemed as if it had been thrashed and in accidents because both bumpers were replaced as well as a door. We'll keep looking this time 2003+!

That's good news as it means you won't be buying a duff.

Happy hunting

• 3 years later...

Edwardio.

Dear Sir,

Your posts here display some authority in the oil/piston-ring problem.

I am looking to buy and have already overlooked a 2005 model as elsewhere I have read that the engines were upgraded in July 2005, not 2003.

Also, VINs should be post-600189857.

Could you please clarify these points and what to look for? I have to say I can't tell a facelift model from the photos sellers put up.

Very many thanks in anticipation.

ChasB

As Edwardio may not be around soon (last seen in Sept), I'll try and answer your question.

While the piston ring burnt carbon deposits problem wasn't totally solved with the introduction of the face lift in Sept 2002, there is far less chance of a 52 plate-on 140 developing into an oil burner. This was because extra oil runways had been drilled to aid cooling of the ring area.

As regards spotting the difference between pre and post face lift, most pics. show the front of the car, which will have a slim, letter box type top grille on the face lift. Also, while there are one or two pre face lift cars on a 52 plate, they were very rare to be registered after the 02 plate expired.

HTH :)