Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Engine Swap - Advice Needed!

Toxic-Wotsit

First post as a complete newbie!!

Hi guys, looking for a helping hand.

I've just bought a corolla sr 1.6 hatchback - T reg.

Really nice, comfortable and decent looking car, it just isn't overly fast...

This is where you guys come in!!

I'm thinking of attempting an engine swap, I think a 2.0L might be a bit big seeing as I am only 21, but seriously considering a 1.8.

Is it reasonablysimple for someone that knows what they are doing to do an engine swap?

Can anyone tell me if there are any 1.8 engines which will fit easily with minimal amount of complications? Also which 1.8 engines are the most powerful?

Thanks in advance for your help and advice guys!!

Paul

Have done some research and was wondering if any of these engines would be suitable for a swap?

4AGE Silvertop 20v dohc - 158bhp

4AGE Blacktop dohc - 162bhp

4AGZE Supercharged dohc - 165bhp

Or if there are any 1.8 engines which would be recomended instead of these engines? I'm really looking for something special, without being excessive... The insurance company will not like a 2.0L, they may prefer a 1.6!!

Thanks again guys!!

All of those 4age engines will bolt straight in - although they are hard to come by and command a premium. One straight out of a levin will be perfect as they are exactly the same chassis.

Havent looked into 1.8s myself - iirc the E11 estate came with a 1.8 with 135bhp and again is a simple bolt in job.

Hope this helps :)

Very helpful indeed, just what I wanted to hear too!! =D

What do you mean that the enginges command a premium?

Cheers!

Also, this may be a silly question... But would a complete engine be enough, or would I need new mounts etc, some packages include the clutch too, is this important or could I use mine?

My 1998 Corolla has a 4A-GZE engine in it - 1600cc supercharged from the factory by Toyota. Originally put into Japanese and American Mk1 MR2s but later in the Japanese Levin. Mine came from a 1993 Levin GTZ. You will need the engine, gearbox, engine wiring loom, ECU and driveshafts plus deep pockets or an understanding bank manager. The engine and gearbox are much heavier than the standard unit so your front suspension will need a major upgrade. Take a look at my webiste www.ae111sr.co.uk where you will find everything I've done to my Corolla.

John

Niiiiice!! Now I just want to do it more after seeing yours!! How much do you think it would be roughly to get theengine and bits needed?

These engines are now very difficult to find as the last one was made in 1995. My transplant was done 9 years ago and the Levin front cut cost me about £1500, having it fitted was about the same. Then you have to factor in standalone engine management (to get the best out of it), uprated suspension, brakes, etc. Like I said - you need deep pockets. It's not just a question of sticking a different engine in the car - you need to do all the other things to make a proper job of it.

A 20 valve 4A-GE will be easier to get hold of but I have no experience of them.

I'll keep digging and researching - Cheers for your help!!

Some crackin' information in this thread guys. Welcome to the forums Toxic.

For any 20v conversion you're best off getting a whole package - engine, gearbox, wiring loom and ecu, can be got for about £1000 [ see e-bay] 20v's not as heavy as GZE's [the weight is in the better, stronger gearbox and bigger drive shafts].

There is however today a GZE Levin on e-bay with superstrut suspension, everything needed in one package, but the conversion is a big job.

Had a little mooch on eBay and found two possibilities.... Would like people's opinions please. As if this wasn't obvious, I know very little about engines etc etc. So, would be greatful to know if I would need anything extra to what is listed in being included in the sale.

Thanks for your contineous help! =)

The 1st one's got everything you'll need.

I would strip and rebuild before fitting though, so allow for full gasket kit, Timing belt kit, water pump and new clutch if needed.

2nd you'll have to pay shipping £100's + import tax at 20%, it's not cost effective to import a single engine.

I've had a wake up call... As much as I love the idea of doing an engine swap, it really will cost more than I have and can't afford to get into more debt over it, are there any alternative ways to dramatically improve the horsepower? Rather than just by 5 etc?

There's a straight through exhaus ton its'sway and an induction kit too, but other than that I am stuck for ideas, cheers guys

See iv done engine trasplates including my 1.8turbo .. dosnt matter if the engine is bigger or small its classed as a modification so insurance batters threw the roof the only good thing is your tax dosnt change.so you could have a 1.3corolla and put a huge supra engine in and change your.doscuments so its legit and you will still pay 120pound for tax or you could have a supra and say you put a 1.3 corolla engine in it lol you will still pay the high tax for the supra lol

That not exactly true. Dvla take the details down of the year and car that the engine came out of and tax it on that.

So for example my 1.4 mg zr - oct 2001 was based on emissions, i replaced this with a 2.0 turbo from a 1993 rover coupe turbo which was pre emissions taxed. Ment my tax was actually cheeper as a 2.0 turbo.

But say you did a 1.4 corolla to a 1.8 both 2003 models then yes the dvla will increase your 1.4 tax to 1.8 bracket.

Same goes for going from a 1.8 to a 1.4 - your tax bracket goes down. Though the dvla will more than likely ask you to do a vic check with this as they dont like you paying less money. Easy to claim youve put a smaller engine in when you havent, so they do check.

Turbo supercharged conversions dont matter, as they cant retest your car emissions to tax it on (its not a new car) same goes for boring out a 1.8 to 2.0 if there wasnt a 2.0 avalible from factory.

As for the engine in your car, theres no huge bhp gains unless your pockets are very deep ;)

• 7 years later...

Can i swap my 2010 corolla american specification 1.6 engine to 1.8 or 2.0 engine.. Kindly help me

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links