Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where Is The Gen 7 Distributor?

indieinferno

Hi All,

I've done something rather stupid in cleaning my engine bay with some warm soapy water. I thought I was being super careful but, clearly, not careful enough and now the engine won't start.

I've tried airing it out, leaving it several days to completely dry but to no avail.

When attempting to start I get maybe half a turn or so then eventually just the clicking noise and not engine turn over at all. Given that the engine does sometimes try to turn over I assume that the Battery is fine and I've taken out the ignition coils (but not the spark plugs since I don't have the right tool) but there doesn't appear any moisture in there (the plastic engine cover was on so pretty unlikely anyway).

The other obvious area to check is the distributor cap but I can't for the life of me find it!

Looking at the engine from the front on I can follow the leads from the spark plugs over to the right-centre of the bay where they dip down between the engine block and the Battery area but I can't see where the distributor is. Not sure If I'm just being stupid and it's obvious to anyone who's done this before (I've never had to locate a distributor cap before this) or the Celica Gen 7 is a bit different but I'd always assumed it was one of the obvious, easy to get to components of an engine.

I've looked for a Haynes manual but there doesn't seem to be a Gen 7 one, looked on this forum and others but can't find anything except the huge official workshop PDF online but despite going into huge detail on every bit of the ignition system I can't find any mention of the distributor.

Anyone help me out? (or suggest any other areas to look at to fix the issue)

Thanks

Steve

The gen 7 has coil packs & not a distributor

Was just going to say it doesn't have a distributor :)

The gen 7 has coil packs & not a distributor

Well now, that would certainly explain why I couldn't find it :D

Many thanks for that, at least I know I'm not going crazy. Anyone any ideas where else might have got water in that I could check?

The clicking noise is the immobiliser. Might be worth putting the Battery on charge anyway or putting a volt meter across it. You could always try jump starting it.

The clicking noise is the immobiliser. Might be worth putting the battery on charge anyway or putting a volt meter across it. You could always try jump starting it.

You sir are a genius, a prince amongst men. Charged the Battery up and it turned over instantly!

That'll teach me to think I have a clue and ignore the simple stuff.

The clicking noise is the immobiliser. Might be worth putting the battery on charge anyway or putting a volt meter across it. You could always try jump starting it.
You sir are a genius, a prince amongst men. Charged the Battery up and it turned over instantly! That'll teach me to think I have a clue and ignore the simple stuff.

lol, simple enough as my car is in the back garden at not used much, so I know if it doesn't start or 'clicks', then the Battery is flat!

• 6 years later...

I have recently had a 2005 (140) 'Red' model on loan with a view to purchase - and I've had LOADS of random 'clickings' with 'security' light flashing, cranking OK but failure to start, batteries going flat on occasion (I say 'batterIES' because I have tried near new substitutes and that has made NO difference!...), car 'locking itself' (fortunately have managed to avoid being 'caught out' and/or 'looking like a Muppet' thus far by NEVER getting out without the key - and IMMEDIATELY winding a window down if/when loading or unloading, refuelling, etc.), interior light 'doing its own thing' etc.!?... The car had spent quite a time 'standing around' prior to my 'borrowing' it - and this does seem to be a 'common thread' amongst others posting about similar issues?!!?...

Now that these cars are reaching an age of 15+ years it could well be that various 'buffering' capacitors in the electronics are getting 'tired' - and thus failing to 'suppress' the myriad 'spikes' generated in an hostile automotive environment, particularly when 'boost' charging?!?... It appears that the erratic and intermittent behaviour of the immobilizer and central locking system IS - in 'my' case - almost certain to be a 'bruised' immobilizer ECU component, which has been so rendered unstable!?... Whether such componentry is on a PCB that can be accessed upon prising off a cover or drilling out a few rivets - OR whether it is encapsulated in resin and thus as repairable as a sodium submarine - I have yet to determine?... It DOES appear that Toyota have 'recently discontinued' such spares - BUT the last 'quoted' price was around £460 plus VAT anyway?!??... OUCH!!!...

Obviously am seeking a 'workable fix' at 'reasonable' cost before negotiating any further with this purchase - so is there a trusted source of refurbished/exchange Celica electronic modules out there? In the meantime it may be worth keeping any car NOT in regular use on a 'Battery management' (trickle charge...) regime - and even wiring in a suitably substantial audio style capacitor across the console fuse-board power supply connections, to hopefully mitigate the consequences of 'tired' electrolytics elsewhere (especially IF not 'individually' accessible, or 'potted' in resin/compound...)?... Many thanks!...

Just a bit of further information:- There are NO metal 'bits and pieces' lurking in the centre console cup holders - and I've attempted the 'Reset' procedures posted elsewhere on this website (indeed I have HAD TO in order to eventually get the car to start...)!?!!... I've also renewed the key transmitter 'coin' cell.... Thanks again!!!...

Your best bet, Andy..is to copy your post onto celica-club.co.uk

There is a entirely trustworthy supplier of used parts based in Birmingham, who is a corporate member on that site.

His user-name on that forum is "ams", with his name being..Amit.

HTH 🙂

Thanks Scarlett!... Having a 'little local difficulty' as site asks for date of birth but automated protocol will ONLY let me enter current year!?!!... Then it tells me it WON'T accept an Application from any person under seventeen years of age!!!...

Aaarrgghh!!!...

Can I use the same Registration 'handle' for 'celica-club.co.uk' as this one? (Same for BOTH?...) Thanks again, Andy

Replied to PM. Username tankslapper is available.