Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Iq2 Alloy Wheel Cleaner

Lynshut

Having newly purchase an IQ2 with high gloss alloys, I’m unsure what cleaner to use on these wheels. I currently have MER Alloy Wheel cleaner but I don’t want to ruin the wheels having only just purchased the car. Can anyone recommend a good safe cleaner or does anyone know if MER is ok?

I've always used just hot water and soap. You only need the acid based cleaners if someone has let the wheels get into a really bad state and the black dust has started to eat into the wheels.

I take my wheels off the car at least once a year (ideally twice a year) and wash them inside and out with hot water and detergent. Any stubborn deposits and tar can be taken off with white spirit then washed again.

A good coat of wax polish then protects them until the next time you do the job. I bought my car when it was 2 years old and clearly the previous owner had never done this but I took them off, spent 30 minutes or so with each one and they now look like new inside and out.

Good opportunity to swap the wheels around the car too and even out the tyre wear.

Key is to wash them regularly and they will look good forever. :)

Craig.

As they are fairly new, I'd give them a good clean and then add a decent coating of wax (Collinite 845) or a sealant (I'm currently using cQuartz). This will give you a good barrier against the crud that will hit them.

The colli 845 should give you around 4-6 months protection, where as a sealant will offer upto and over a year, but the cost difference is about the same. Colli 845 is around £15 per bottle, but can also be used on the whole car, where as the sealant requires different ones for the type of application.

A good company you look at is AutoBrightDirect.

Fish

Having newly purchase an IQ2 with high gloss alloys, I’m unsure what cleaner to use on these wheels. I currently have MER Alloy Wheel cleaner but I don’t want to ruin the wheels having only just purchased the car. Can anyone recommend a good safe cleaner or does anyone know if MER is ok?

I use Autobrite Verry Cherry Non acidic wheel cleaner. Great at cleaning and smells good too.

http://www.autobrite...r-non-acid.html

Regards

Dave

Soap and water will do the trick. As Fish said, a coat of wheel wax will provide you the best protection. There are actually wheel cleaners out there that destroy the clear coat on your wheels.

Topic moved to Car Care and detailing Forum......Link left to IQ forum

• 2 years later...

As above. Car soap and water, Iron-X and then a wheel sealer, if you dont have one you can use polish that will do a similar job.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links