Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Slipping Clutch ?

Jimlad

on the way home this morning I was doing about 70 in 5th when I put my foot down. I heard, and watched the revs shoot up to about 6000rpm with little or no acceleration. Does this mean the clutch is slipping ??

When I stopped the car I also noticed a very slight clutch burny smell.

Time for a new clutch me thinks ??

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jimlad

• Dame

• Bibbs

• Jesus

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm afraid those are the classic signs of a slipping clutch, probably brought on quicker by your recent power upgrades. Clutches do indeed emit a very nasy smell when they slip - burn.

god damn !! Time for some clutch shopping.... and a light weight flywheel me thinks.... :)

If my insurance goes up again, I'll cry.... lol

HELIX Stage 2 Uprated and Fidanza Lightweight Alluminium Flywheel.

What you think ?? ( from fensport )

I went with Clutchmasters stage 3 and a findanza ..

Feel is lighter than stock and it holds like a b*stard!

Rated for over 400 ft/lb ..

yeah.. the stage 2 is rated at over 400ft/lb torque also... will go for that next week me thinks

how long will the clutch last in its present state ?? I actually thought I noticed it happening once the other week there, but wasn't too sure.

It had to happen today when some ****** was up my *****... that's why I put the foot down !

Is it likely to last at least 2 weeks ?? So I have enough time to get the lovely clutch and light flywheel ?

mine lasted over a month .. I just dropped the boost and drove sensible ..

The problem is a clutch needs to be bedded in for several 100 miles after the swap .. driving for 3 weeks with no positive boost and not over 3k was a nightmare ..

I did tell you that I tore the ar*e out of my clutch when I upped the boost .. and you'd do the same ..

Yea these uprated clutches like being dumped at 7000rpm but how do they hold up in normal day to day driving? They r not supposed to like being slipped much. Which one is the best all rounder?

mine slips nicely .. is lighter than stock .. and has taken 260ft/lb at 4k from a dumped start (and that scared me and gave me neck ache for ages)

yeah... can anyone advise a clutch ( not one that has to come from America tho... Bibbs! ).

ta

Why would your insurance go up? Are you claiming all your parts on your insurance, or does insurance work differently over seas?

I dunno if it would go up... I doubt it. But I do tell them everything which is different from stock. Safer that way.

ok... need a new clutch very soon. It's slipping like a %$(er now. I basically can't accelerate hard without it slipping.

Someone suggested it could be the cable ??

Also could a lightwieght flywheel simply be added at a later date if I wanted to ?

Someone suggested it could be the cable ??

Im afraid not, its hydraulic :(

i'd guess about 2 to 3 hours to fit a clutch but i dont know how hard a job it is on the mister 2.

Mine has started to slip aslo after just over a year since my last one!..

Jimlad.. if you drive steady it can last for ages.

Cost me £290 fitted for my last one and my mechanic said he didnt want to do another one in a hurry.

I'm not in any hurry to get mine sorted.

drive steady ?? ... lol

Where's the fun in that then ?

Sounds like you either dump your clutch alot or you should go for an uprated one mate. I'm gettting the Helix Stage2 Uprated from fensport. None of the stage 1 clutchec can handle the amount of torque me car has.

I was the lightweight flywheel also... but it's quite expensive. I was just getting ready to get my new seats as well.... :(

No chance - unless the car is being driven badly i.e. lots of dumping - you should not need an uprated clutch on a N/A. Even on the Turbo, the standard clutch should be good for up to 300bhp. Just drive more smoothly and this won't happen - you don't have to drive like an idiot to have fun!

Jappybeast, sounds to me like they might have fudged up the installation, I should either get someone else to take it all apart or go back to the garage and ask them to check it out. A genuine clutch should last ages, I'm on the original in my car still and it's on 62,000 miles and is showing no sighn of slipping.

Tis true what the man Dame states: mine lasted 75,000 before having to be replaced. Toyota did the whole replacement for £400.00 which was good (i think for toyota).

Jappy: ask whoever installed it to adjust it for you - should be ok then.