• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jimlad

• Dame

• Bibbs

• Jesus

Top Posters In This Topic

that guy seems to know his stuff .. he;s the one who did the Dyno article in the stickies .. lots of other stuff on his site ..

I canny be ar5ed readin that article at the mo..so are light flywheels good for the average user..average being NOT a track day nut?

Bibbs about the lightened pulleys, Ive enquired into this as well ..I only know of sum company called Unorthodox and they are based in the US and only supply rev1/2 stuff (3rd gen 3sgte never made it over there guh!) any1 in the UK do em?

Don't get me wrong, lightened flywheels do have a purpose. All I'm saying is there's a reason street cars don't really use such. Honda uses slightly lightened aluminium flywheels... but they rev to about 9000000rpm... but you look at the S2000 torque figures. In fact, check most Honda's for torque.

I'm not slating Honda's now either. One of my mate's has an S2000, another one used to have an S2000 and now has a CTR with Spoon mods.

An extreme example is a formula 1 car. Their flywheel weighs next to nothing, and there is no inertia there whatsoever... which is why they have to drop the clutch with about 8000-10000 revs or risk stalling.

Light flywheels are great if you shed a whole load of weight off the car. (F1 car - carbon fibre; Honda NSX - aluminium; Honda S2000 - some aluminium... all in a bid to keep the weight down).

Hondah's are low on Torque as they are NA's ..

Basically you'll have slightly less torque .. but you engine will rev more freely ..

Basically you'll have slightly less torque .. but you engine will rev more freely ..

Nice way to sum it up.....I can understand that, lightened flywheel, less weight to spin up, therefore revs are easier. Heavy flywheel, more torque due to the increased inertia.

It's all down to what you're after. Personally I like as much torque as possible (guess that comes from my old V8 Rangie days), but others prefer free revving engines.

Yer..ditto to that Dame. Im happy..it means I wont blow £300+ on a dissapointing mod...disappointing for me that is.

True... but that's not just why. Honda's are low in torque as they have lightweight engine internals (pistons, conrods, crankshaft etc.), and subsequently can't be put under too much stress. As they are lightweight, they rev freely.

The lightening of the flywheel will have the same effect on a turbo'd car as it will on an NA.

V8's are NA... and you're not going to get much torquier!!!... unless you bolt on a turbo!

;)

...absolutely right. :thumbsup:

So whats happening is your gain is in response..and the loss is in torque?

I dont really think a flywheel is worth it then unless your running a track car mr2 Turbo = loads of shifting...where response has higher importance. y/n?

mmmmm... Pretty much. Unless you go extreme on your street car and heavily mod the engine and strip the weight. Pretty much the way Bibbs is going... and fair play.

V8's are NA... and you're not going to get much torquier!!!... unless you bolt on a turbo

Aint that the truth - I remember driving a Griffith 500, the Torque was incredible from the 5.0 V8 lovely car, but just not reliable enough for everyday driving.

mmmmm... Pretty much. Unless you go extreme on your street car and heavily mod the engine and strip the weight. Pretty much the way Bibbs is going... and fair play.

yip.. yip..... that's the way I'm going. So it may come in handy.... :)

Jimlad, if your trying to get rid of weight (my favorite pasttime) then get as much carbon fibre stuff as possible....weighs less and looks the dogs.

OH MY GOD!!! - What about making your car fully carbon fibre!!! Awsome...

mowahahahahahahahahaha!!! :D

Ah, Mum... bless her!!! :lol:

oi, u's chattin bout my lass!???

eh, eh!

lol

imagine tryin 2 get her to fit in2 the 2, u reckon i'd be possible?

-Z

still waiting on my clucth !!

Grrrr....

Fensport are still waiting on the cover or something like that for it. Should be anyday they say.

God damn !!

hmm....i have a question for you all.

Im from america of course and im going to need a new clutch for the mr2 when i get it...the guy said it will need a new one soon. I am curently trying to sell another car to get the 2. Turbo ttop :) anyways. Im 17 and will be dumping the clutch at 7k.....especially because ill basically be perfecting my clutch skills on the 2 also and dont want to look stupid leaving school hehe. Ive driven a 5.0 mustang in rain and that was definatly a new experience. I hear the mr2 turbo stock can beat a 5.0 v8...is this true also? So any suggestions on a clutch that can be dumped at 7k when i want and not get ******....but still good for street use would be appreciated.

0 - 60 times will be pretty much the same for both cars. You will have the US version of the Turbo which means 200bhp for you and a 0 - 60 time of 6.2 seconds - which conincidentially is exactly the same time as a V8 Mustang (5.0L). I would expect the MR2 to have far better handling though, and wilth a few mods, you should be able3 to get a time in the mid to low 5's.

yep, already have cash saved for 1. Boost controller(15psi) 2. Blowoff Valve then 2 roof air scoops and intake manifolds in those scoops. :) Then i think id be roastin the rustangs and 5.slows