Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Electric Power System

DazT180

I have a 2.2 T180, Just went to start my car after a short run 30 mins prior, and the "Check Power Steering" Fault Warning came on the display with the P/S light flashing red, has anyone had this problem and know the outcome? The car wont start thanks to the push button start, and will not bump start either, quick reply would be good :)

Thanks

Yeh. I had the exact same fault and it needed a new steering ecu. Was driving then Parked up and 15 minutes later I had the fault message come up wen I restarted the car.

Do you know if the Battery has charge? And is there enough fuel?

The Battery should still try to turn the car over regardless of any faults with the other components, should start if theres enough fuel

Try reset the ECU by disconnecting cables from the Battery for 10 mins will clear any faults but if there is a problem it will come back.

Best option if you have breakdown cover call them will come out and do a diagnostics..

Yeh. I had the exact same fault and it needed a new steering ecu. Was driving then Parked up and 15 minutes later I had the fault message come up wen I restarted the car.

how much did this set you back?

how much did this set you back?

Has anyone else had this fault and if so could you let me know of how many £££'s this could possibly set me back?

Update from toyota, So far 2 Hours diagnostics has not found the fault, Bill £278 so far, apparantly requires 2 more hours on diagnostics, as a guess, not looking good.

P/s warning lamp on and unable to start, this is quite common on cars with electric powered steering racks and is usually the Battery on it's way out or not receiving a good charge from the alternator. Having said that the Battery on your '07 car is not that old. Hopefully one of the Toyota techs on this forum will have a better idea as to whats wrong.

PS. You have paid £278 already and the problem not fixed?

I would wait until they find and repair the fault before I paid anything and even then I would only pay the initial diagnostic fee + the cost of parts to fix. The Toyota dealers do go on about how much investment their company puts into the workshops and how they are the best people to fix your car, "We are the experts" blah blah blah.

Hope the solution is not too painful for you Darren.

£ 278 pound for a diagnostic check and two hours to do it, what in the name are the doing ???. Being in the trade a full diagnostic check takes no more than 10 minutes and costs about £65.00 including VAT it must be some check.

When you say a diagnostic takes minutes you mean to connect to control units and read the fault codes .but an md diagnostic entails pulling the codes out then following the diagnostic procedure on techdoc for that fault code reading freezeframes and live data wiring checks and component tests untill a fault is identified .obviously the time involved varies from system to system and code to code and the nature of a fault can influence the time a diagnostic may take ie intermittant or current fault.i think the term diagnostic is widely misunderstood

Outcome of the fault after 4 days in the workshop, was a corroded earth wire on the starter, the diagnostic check was inconclusive as the car was not responding to the computer, they had to trace wiring to find the fault then reset fault codes, total final bill was £234, concidering after the second day it was £278 i got off lightly

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links