Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gear Indicator On Display

Is it possible to have a gear position indicator on the display for the manual car? Much like the Multidrive version, but showing the manual gear positions? It may be a dumbass question, it may not. Just thought I would ask. I know they would be quite different to the Auto Gear Position Display, pic2.

post-113536-0-41497100-1337351572_thumb.

post-113536-0-34485000-1337351855_thumb.

Unless you custom made your own like my mate did about 25 years ago ;)

David you surprise me, a man of your skills could do anything.

(granted, somethings are just not worth doing)

Bob, maybe not as a Standard Multidrive Gear Indicator, but if you want one thats simple, there are loads out there at all price points.

http://www.msar-safe...tail.asp?p=1117

Will require skills of someone like David to install.

george

David you surprise me, a man of your skills could do anything.

(granted, somethings are just not worth doing)

Bob, maybe not as a Standard Multidrive Gear Indicator, but if you want one thats simple, there are loads out there at all price points.

http://www.msar-safe...tail.asp?p=1117

Will require skills of someone like David to install.

george

You have to remember that most people who drive the multidrive, just put it in D and that's it for most of the time. It you did have a display on the dashboard of a nanual and depending if it were the 5 or 6 speed, it would be moving up and down the numbers like a yo yo. The manual does have an indicator to tell you when to change gear though.

I had a look at that link George. Couldnt see a price. Well not on a iPhone anyway. It may take info from the OBD11 socket. Or sniffed if the relevent points tacho and road speed Not sure this cant be fooled. You could reach 50 in third and de- clutch and change to forth and as long as you dont lift the clutch the unit still thinks your in third. It must also be calibrated to reconise when sertain road speeds and rev's equate to certain gear numbers to display the correct one. Bit of guess work involved me thinks

David

I had a look at that link George. Couldnt see a price. Well not on a iphone anyway. It may take info from the OBD11 socket. Or sniffed if the relevent points tacho and road speed Not sure this cant be fooled. You could reach 50 in third and de- clutch and change to forth and as long as you dont lift the clutch the unit still thinks your in third. It must also be calibrated to reconise when sertain road speeds and rev's equate to certain gear numbers to display the correct one. Bit of guess work involved me thinks

David

I think that would really spoil the car, as it's not on the display

Many accessories like an iPhone in a holder or a Satnav on a sucker are not in the display either!

Was just a suggestion.

Not much different from Pods stuck up on a Smart's dash

or the Nitros & Rev counter gauges staggered up the windscreen pillar.

(where they can be easily glanced at, unlike where the Shifter display is on an iQ)

I will get my coat.

george

Am i missing something Is tis just for display to look good or does it have some use. Surely with a manual you know what gear your in because you put it in that gear. More use i would of thought for an auto as you can kick down and see what gear your in

David

David,

ones like i posted are usually fitted when using a Sequential Gear shift.

Straight up or down shifting and with air shifters when maybe being used as quick shift or disabled drivers using hand/button shift controls only.

Motorbike engined kit cars etc to let you know where you are gear wise, at a glance.

I was just messing incase this was the type of display that Bob was thinking of as a novelty item at £100 or so..

It did cross my mind that with a manual you had better know which gear you have chosen or its time to give up driving.

george

Was just jesting. Im all for a gadget. Can see the usefulness of your applications. I gave up on the HUD because it was too much work and needing to get a nice finishoff the dislay on top of the satnav cover. Some things are good idea's just too much work

David

I had a look at that link George. Couldnt see a price. Well not on a iphone anyway. It may take info from the OBD11 socket. Or sniffed if the relevent points tacho and road speed Not sure this cant be fooled. You could reach 50 in third and de- clutch and change to forth and as long as you dont lift the clutch the unit still thinks your in third. It must also be calibrated to reconise when sertain road speeds and rev's equate to certain gear numbers to display the correct one. Bit of guess work involved me thinks David

That seems quite complex. The one my mate made was more mechanical, it was more like a basic circuit board with square brass contact plates (one for each gear). This was mounted to the transmission tunnel next to the gear lever, attached to the gear lever was a spring steel arm with a contact at the end that would connect to one of the square contact plate for the relevant gear. This was connected to a simple digital display like the one in Georges link.

All of the workings was hidden under the center console, very simple.

Well Mark That was the way i envisaged it. As a true way of knowing what gear your in

David

Many accessories like an iPhone in a holder or a Satnav on a sucker are not in the display either!

Was just a suggestion.

(where they can be easily glanced at, unlike where the Shifter display is on an iQ)

I will get my coat.

george

But do you really need an indicator at all to show what gear you are in. I never look what gear I'm in anyway. I just drive the thing. I would have better things to spend my money on, especially in the current climate.

Was just a suggestion.

I will get my coat.

george

But do you really need an indicator at all to show what gear you are in. I never look what gear I'm in anyway. I just drive the thing. I would have better things to spend my money on, especially in the current climate.

A lot of things on cars are done "Just because they can be done" or "For the look of it". It doesn't matter whether it has a practical use or not, otherwise there would be no custom car shows ;)

Was just a suggestion.

I will get my coat.

george

A lot of things on cars are done "Just because they can be done" or "For the look of it". It doesn't matter whether it has a practical use or not, otherwise there would be no custom car shows ;)

Thats true, but if I was on the lookout for an iQ, that sort of thing would put me off from buying it. In fact i would not buy it at all. Its ok lowering cars, changing wheels, exhausts etc. Something that ugly looks right out of place on the iQ. Just my opinion and you have yours.

So I would not waste the couple of hundred £'s putting it in.

I know if i am driving my car in full autobox , be that in D that goes quickly to 7 or even S thats only to 6,i really never lower my eyes to look at the Gear display.

But when using Sequential on the Shifter or more especially the paddles i am tempted to try and get a glance at the gear number,

but then thats usually the very time i should least be diverting my eyes from the road.

george

I know if i am driving my car in full autobox , be that in D that goes quickly to 7 or even S thats only to 6 really never lower my eyes to look at the Gear display.

But when using Sequential on the Shifter or more especially the paddles i am tempted to try and get a glance at them,

but then thats usually the very time i should least be diverting my eyes from the road.

george

What car is that on then George. Not an iQ with paddle gear shifters and is that 7 and 6 seconds to 60 your are talking about?

Was just a suggestion.

I will get my coat.

george

Thats true, but if I was on the lookout for an iQ, that sort of thing would put me off from buying it. In fact i would not buy it at all. Its ok lowering cars, changing wheels, exhausts etc. Something that ugly looks right out of place on the iQ. Just my opinion and you have yours.

It all depends on how it is done, if it looked like a temporary job sat on the dash then it would look naff. But if done and the end result looks factory fitted, then I'd go for it.

Also most people (me included) get the most pleasure out of doing it and making it work than just seeing the finished product.

Was just a suggestion.

I will get my coat.

george

It all depends on how it is done, if it looked like a temporary job sat on the dash then it would look naff. But if done and the end result looks factory fitted, then I'd go for it.

Also most people (me included) get the most pleasure out of doing it and making it work than just seeing the finished product.

You have convinced yourself and thats fine, but not me. It would be a distraction in my view that could cause an accident. So I still would not waste the money. The box that George posted up would never look factory fitted.

I'm not saying that box in particular would. Please don't take this the wrong way, but more imagination is needed.

The box George posted was an an Example of the type, not a recommendation..

I will post a picture of one that looks Factory when i am next at my Sprint car.

I am looking for a 'Heads Up Display' one that i can switch onto the screen when i want to see it.

george

I'm not saying that box in particular would. Please don't take this the wrong way, but more imagination is needed.

Its up to you what you spend your money on. I don't require one, as I drive the Muiltidrive, that has one. But are we not getting away from what the iQ was designed for and thats certainly not a race car that this sort of thing might be useful on.

Its up to you what you spend your money on. I don't require one, as I drive the Muiltidrive, that has one. But are we not getting away from what the iQ was designed for and thats certainly not a race car that this sort of thing might be useful on.

The box George posted was an an Example of the type, not a recommendation..

I will post a picture of one that looks Factory when i am next at my Sprint car.

I am looking for a 'Heads Up Display' one that i can switch onto the screen when i want to see it.

george

I still don't see the point of it George. Do you really need it? is it essential to have it for everyday driving? I have not required one in my 30 years of driving and never would even if I was driving a manual.