Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Only 43.000 And Needs A New Clutch

Juandan

Hi, I have a rav 4 diesel, year 2002, its only done 43.000 miles, today the car broke down, I was pulling away from a parking position, I got into second gear but it wouldn't go into third gear, I pulled into a lay by, I turned the engine off let cool down then tried it again, It wouldn't even pull away in first gear, I had to join the AA to get me home, , the AA guy said he thinks it's the clutch, surely the clutch should last longer than 43.000 miles? your help is appreciated

Hi, I have a rav 4 diesel, year 2002, its only done 43.000 miles, today the car broke down, I was pulling away from a parking position, I got into second gear but it wouldn't go into third gear, I pulled into a lay by, I turned the engine off let cool down then tried it again, It wouldn't even pull away in first gear, I had to join the AA to get me home, , the AA guy said he thinks it's the clutch, surely the clutch should last longer than 43.000 miles? your help is appreciated

Even worsererer....could it be that your Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) just gave up the ghost....? Hope and pray it IS only the clutch, which is expensive itself without the flywheel too.....good luck matey. The difference in labour charges to combine both jobs is probably minimal, but the parts tally will be sore if needs flywheel.

Big Kev the Guessler.

Sounds like dmf to me too Guessler. Even if it isn't you are going to be fitting one with a new clutch.

Clutch can last 150.000 miles or 20.000 miles.. It all depends on how the car has been driven.. If a cars driver slips or rides the clutch it can last no time at all... A car that has a driver that is light on the clutch and maybe does high motorway miles could last 200.000 miles plus......

Could be worst......could have been your engine that only lasted 43k... :lol:

I have always wondered what is the best way to change gear to preserve the clutch. Should i be more harsh and change quickly to avoid slip, or should it be gentle and slower so as not to get a lurch.

I had a clutch fail on a citroen after 6 years, only done around 45,000. Always wondered was it my driving / the wifes/ the previous owner. I never rested my foot on the clutch once moving, apart from changing the gear

Best practice is to not slip or ride the pedal... The speed of the change makes No difference at all....

Have You ever heard someone pull away down the road with the engine revs way to high and the smell of burning ??

Towing can have a Huge effect as the extra weight of the trailer or caravan will also load the clutch...

Smooth driving and getting off the pedal smooth but quick so the clutch plate and flywheel and driven clutch plate are together is one of the key elements... If You slip the clutch the plate will wear very quickly...

Cars doing long motorway journeys wear the clutches far less as far fewer gear changes are made.

any idea how much it will cost me to have it fixed?

any idea how much it will cost me to have it fixed?

Have seen a few clutch with flywheel postings on here at circa £1200.00....what you might call Juan hell of a bill.....?

Big Kev

Toyota dealer Dingles of lowestoft quoted £785, extra if it needs a flywheel, £85 to recover the car from great yarmouth to lowestoft.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links