Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

How Do You Guys Clean You Engine Bays?

Phobos

Hey all

I've been admiring the rollas on this site (there are some beauts like Noedel's) but how do you guys clean your engine bays?

Mine is an embarressment. My car was missing the undertray when I bought it, I put on on it but it got covered in dirt before I got to it.

So my question.......How do you guys clean you engine bays?

Thanks

I've always wondered... I've never cleaned my engine bay, unless you count the time I had to vacuum up the 5 bazillion wasps that were stuck in my radiator and turbo intercooler! :lol:

Engine bay cleaning is a fave of mine, only because it looks so much better when done compared to a car where it hasn't been done. And it makes working on it so much easier and cleaner, always a good thing in my book. A very basic run down of what I tend to do..... Depending on how bad it is to start, I usually use a steam cleaner or a pressure washer to begin with. Being careful around electrical components and anything ignition wise, concentrating on underside, bulkhead, inner wings, gearbox and engine block. Not too much water or time spent, more to clear top dust/grit/grime first. Then apply a good quality engine degreaser, being careful around the previously mentioned areas, sprayed on and scrubbed with a stiff brush if needed, or just an old paint brush to be honest, to agitate the cleaner into any more stubborn dirt/grime. I normally leave the engine running through all this, helps in the not-killing-it-with-water side of things. Once degreaser/cleaner is done, rinse off carefully. I then go around drying any standing/pooled water with the engine switched off, with old cloths. This lets you see what is left to do. From here, a normal routine is to polish any painted metalwork with a decent polish, and then go back over with a good wax. Any plastics are cleaned up using something like Vinyl and Rubber Care by Autoglym, along with any hoses/pipework. Any stainless/chrome etc is polished using metal polish and a coat of wax sometimes. Thats about it for a basic guide, although it can get very detailed and in depth from here really, and I do plenty more than I've quickly ran through. Should give you an idea, hope that it helps you out, rather than bores you or puts you off doing it yourself. Let us know how you get on, before and after pics are good!

Thanks you TIBS, I'll post a before and after once I'm done......the before is embarressing!

Now then Guys, well thought I'd get started on the ground work to have a great clean engine bay, only cut my hand twice so well worth the effort. Did not have all my cleaning gear with me as not at my own home but its not to shabby.

post-119695-0-75177100-1338831688_thumb.

post-119695-0-01934700-1338831715_thumb.

post-119695-0-17721400-1338831745_thumb.

Not a bad go chief! Keep going......

One suggestion, if you have time on your hands??.................. I did mine with Baby Wipes, Autoglym Rubber/Vinyl care & plenty elbow grease!.....come sup a treat!....... :D

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links