Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Seat Mk2 Leon "fr" > To Toyota Iq (Daily Commute + Weekend

DanSI

Hi guys,

This is my first Post here, great forum you have. smile.gif

I am looking to sell my current SEAT Mk2 TDi Leon 'FR' (57 plate / 170bhp standard) and replace it with a smaller car, as my primary vehicle to commute to work (primarily A roads) etc. Wanted something small, economic and nippy in traffic. Plus its usually just me in the car, hence my strong interest in a Toyota IQ.

Does the IQ cater well, as a daily driver?

Apart from perhaps limited "boot space", are there any other factors that might make the car difficult to live with on a daily basis? Any tips or advice, prior to going out and buying one? Are spare parts + servicing easy to come by?

If you know the performance Leons, they are a very nice drive, the FR and Cupra especially rapid. I think sportier and more stylish than their VAG counterparts, plus I like the fact they are not as common on the roads, so you feel you are driving something more individual.

We do also own an MPV, as our primary "family car", when we all go out together / taking the children to their various clubs and events. smile.gif So the IQ would be our (MY) 2nd vehicle. wink.gif

Any feedback on the IQ would be much appreciated.

Hi Daniel,

Welcome to the forum!

I am on my second IQ, so obviously like them but you will probably find quite a drop in performance compared to your Seat.

An IQ is not as nippy as an Aygo, but is so much better equipped and finished.

Also zero road tax for the 1.0l engine helps a little.

If you go for a second hand one then I would say get as late a model as possible as the "second generation" IQs, from mid 2011 I believe, have a number of improvements over the earlier models..an important one being the new EGR valve which replaces a potentially troublesome earlier one on the 1.0l engine.

Also you don't have to worry about whether all the recall work has been carried out or not.

My later model also handles much better with hardly any corner roll compared to the earlier model I had, and I haven't changed anything in the suspension or wheels area.

Hope that helps. Others will be along to add to the discussion soon no doubt!

John

I replaced a 4.6 litre Range Rover with the iQ for my daily commute and love it.

I have the 1.3 litre iQ3 with the 6 speed transmission and went for that as I thought it might be a bit more relaxed cruising on motorways than the 1.0 models but didn't get a chance to test drive the 1.0 model at speed so not sure if that is the case. Went on a run from the south coast to Donnington park a while back though and stuck at around 70 - 80 all the way and still got 53mpg. The Range Rover would average about 15mpg at that speed!

I do miss the load carrying ability a bit I guess, Can't chuck my bike in the back any more but so far I haven't found it to be a problem. I went to homebase the other night and got 2 metre lengths of coving in the car fine. Not bad for a car that is only 2.9 metre long! :)

It's no performance car though, even the 1.3 models are not going to win many races but it's not built as a fast car, it's an economical driving car with fantastic build quality and a great drive. Not too common either which appeals to me.

I think you need to get yourself to a dealer and ask for a test drive and take some of the second hand models out too to get a feeling for different transmissions and engines then make a choice from there.

I love mine and at the moment, wouldn't hesitate to buy another but you need to try one first, they aren't for everyone and off course the only replies you will get on this forum is from people like me who love their iQ. :D

Good luck

Craig.

Welcome to the forum.

What sort of economy can you get from the Leon?

I am sure you will like an iQ, its a very nice drive, but i think you will find it is not more economical than your Seat.

I have had 2 iQ 1.0 multidrives as daily drives and am about to get another but not as a daily drive, just as a family runabout.

My Fabia vRS twin charger does a low of 35mpg & an average of 42 mpg & can get up to around 50 mpg without trying to hard.

My iQs were getting about 42-48 mpg per tank 55mpg if trying & 60 plus on a potter with a bit of hypermileing.

The one thing that might really bug you with the iQ is tailgaters.

Thats why i am driving the vRS, i was going into road rage at drivers up my bum & never happy to be behind an iQ,

even if they had to catch you up and overtake then go slower than i was going.

Sorry if that sounds like paranoia, but i sometimes drive a Kia Picanto and other small cars and do not get tailgated anything like as bad as i do in the iQ.

It even was happening in my other halfs iQ3, which was why she changed that for a A1.

If you are a calmer driver than me, i am sure you will be fine.

Very comfortable IMO and plenty of room for 2 in the front and luggage etc in the rear.

Great for parking.

george

Hi Daniel, welcome to the best iQ forum, populated by the best of iQ owners, of course I would say that. My wife and I own a 1.0l basic model (Probably should have been called the iQ1). Like quite a few on here, we have the back seats down all the time (with only occasional seats up for passengers, very rare) so we can easily get our weeks shopping in it. We use two large plastic boxes to put that lot in, and there's still space down the sides and a bit in the middle.

We went from a 32mpg -maximum, and it was over 10 years old- 2.0 auto Mondeo. So Road Tax was high and our fuel bill. All journeys as far as possible were combined for economy. Now we have one of the best cars out there for economy, that is way smaller than our Mondeo, and we love it. It has a certain charm to it, it's own little personality.

Recently we had the computer display changed for a new one as it would not display/register over 60mpg on the Average Fuel Economy display. At first we weren't that concerned by that, but then thought about the next owner of our car, they might want to know. So, it was changed and it was rather gratifying to see over 73mpg on the display. We live out in the country so our routes into local towns don't always give a great mpg return, but, we regularly get (on the average display) 60mpg and over. It's a special trip that gives 73+mpg, along with a quirk of the iQ, in that it will give a better mpg AVG just after filling up -as the display automatically resets.

When in the front of the car you could quite easily forget how small it is, but not for long, what with the crappy roads in our country. We bought the 1.0l as we loved the idea of not having to pay road tax, but even the 1.3 has to be good for tax too. If you drive in London and want a congestion charge free car, then make sure the emissions level on the one choose is the latest as ours, a 59 plate, does not fit the bill anymore, apparently.

If you can, take your time choosing the right one for your needs. I can say that on my longest trips in our iQ, I don't ache at all when I get out of the car, at least not from driving related aches. Like the car you're changing it for, there are not that many about. Best of luck.

Hi guys, thank you all for the warm welcome. :)

Alot of great feedback.. taking notes. :) Plus interesting to learn of your past cars, before coming to the iQ.

Reading the Spec plus differences between the 3 models (that changed at different years), version 2 or 3 is desirable to me.

The 1L is the obvious choice, free tax / congestion charging, if travelling in and around London, however for an all rounder I'm also tempted by the 1.3L too. Any known mechanical issues with either engine configuration?

Also reading some sources, they do not recommend the "multidrive" gearbox/auto system, while reading here, it sounds a decent feature? Very practical for town stop-start driving. Does it also come with "paddle shifts"? :)

I'm looking to move away from the 'performance' car / stereotype and handling of my current Leon, for the opposite image of the iQ here. Small and nippy, very economical, still great build quality, plus a cool car too. In my Leon FR, I see around 50mpg, on an average drive - town / A road commute.

I'm surprised you mention tailgaters s44gtw, as you'd think the iQ ISN'T an intimidating car on the road that other car drives feel the need to patronise? That's also one of the reasons I'm moving away from my Leon FR - I'm getting a little tired of the (unwanted) attention it gets - other drivers thinking I'm going to race them at any opportunity / stuck to the rear bumper through the lanes etc. Wonder why this happens to you in the iQ, s44gtw?

Also the fact the iQ DOES have rear seats, plus a Boot too (even bigger with seats folded down) another big Plus point - how DO they squeeze it all in?? Means it still offers additional flexibility over "true" 2 seater cars, which I've also been considering. Another plus point for the iQ, for when the parents come to visit. :)

Again cheers for all the replies. I'm reading up on as much as possible prior to going out and viewing a handful of these cars. :)

Would a garage entertain an exchange with cashback, if my car is worth more than the car I wanted to buy? Alternatively, I'd sell mine on Autotrader or similar first

The tailgating thing is more like because i dont really hang around even in a 1.0 multidrive and i think some BMW & similar drivers just dont like that when spotting the small car and skinny wheels on a iQ.

The iQ3 just seemed to annoy some i think.

(i am happy if they want to pass and go quicker, just annoyed when they want to pass because they can & then its neccessary to go on passed because you want to get on & not be held up,

they seem to think thats you challanging them.

I know it can happen in all cars.

Well it didnt when i was in my 4.6 110 land rover, they did tend to stay clear)

The iQ is very safe, but i just dont like people hanging on my bumper when there is no boot behind me.

not really so bothered when on my own, but with a passenger in the car, i would just like the bully drivers to stay back another yard or 2.

No Paddles on a Multidrive.

It is a CVT gearbox.

Park, Reverse, Neutral, Drive, S & B.

(that can be Slowing, or Sport or Snow, you try one and decide when you drive one..

B =Braking,additional slowing down and low gear, well kind of.

I really like the Multidrive & how it is with the high reving VVTi 3 cylinder engine & the 4 cyinder in the iQ3

I really would just say, go and try as many as you can.

1.0 manual and Multidrive & 1.3 with both boxes if you can.

One of nearest thing to the original mini available these days i think.

Great fun and a wonderful turning circle.

enjoy.

george

The only engine "problem" that I know of on the 1.0 engine is the EGR valve issue as mentioned before.

If you want economy then go for the IQ2 (or 1, if you can do without the gadgets) but if you want more power and are not bothered about economy so much then go for the IQ3.

If you want to be even less economical then the non- manual IQ3 is the one to go for!

I am not plaqued by tailgaters where I live luckily, except for the ever present Vauxhall or Audi drivers...but that is not an IQ issue, they even do it to police Evos.

I traded an MX5 in for an Aygo some years ago and was offered a cheque for over £1000, as part of the deal by my local MrT, but I doubt if they would do it now unless they think your trade in will move quickly at a good price.

John

Hello johnan,

I have had an IQ2 from 2009 for about 2 months soon, and really love the car. I was going from a Merc E320 with 220hp and automatic tranny. What I like most is the handy feeling of the car and that it is so engineered.

I use the car for day to day city commuting but have also used it for several longer trips on motorway and extra urban drvies.

A positive thing is that I match the EU specified values of the gas consumption when I focus on my drive. I see the consumption figures as the 0-60 figures. They can never be reached if you dont focus on what you are doing. One will never meet the official 0-60 figures if Roof Rack is mounted, slipping on the clutch, and gear changes are done flimsy and without timing. I think the same applies for the official gas figures - to meet them one need to be focused and drive with care on what one are doing.

Before the purchase me and my fiance tested the 1.0 manual first and we were positively surprised of the engine performance and sound! To be sure we also tested the 1.33 with manual but were disppointed. I more or less felt the 1.33 to be less powerfull, and without the rewarding sound of the threepipe. My theory is that the 1.0 is the optimum engine and that the 1.33 is a "needed" performance step that Toyota offers in order to meet customers who dont think a three cylinder is a real engine - and I respect those customers and think Toyota does this well.

Also after the 2 months now I like the 1.0 engine. It does well in town, on extra urban drives with one passenger and fully packed, and works well at motorway speed.

I hope you find a good IQ!

BR

Jon Lindholm

My former cars have been:

MB E320 Sedan 1996 (W210) (2010-2012)

Ford Mondeo ST220 Estate 2006 (2009-2010)

Ford Mondeo Estate 2.0 1998 (2005-2009)

Buick Wildcat 6.6 1965 (2002-2007)

Mercedes 280 1973 (1997-2009)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links