Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Wheel Bearing Issue

Liamalone

Hello one and all :)

Need an opinion or two about an issue with my wife's Yaris if you'd oblige :) It's a 2008 1.4 D4D model so out of it's 3yr warranty.

Seems that the offside rear wheel bearing needs replacing, been humming for a few weeks and was left into the local dealer today and that was the diagnosis. They said they would fix it for £115, it should be around £300 normally but the reduced price is due to a goodwill scheme of sorts they employ. Having searched the site for similar threads the £300ish price is standard enough for a rear bearing.

That said, there is 44,000 miles on the clock and when I was chatting to workmates last week about the humming the replies I got indicated that it would be unusual at those miles and also for a Toyota. Is it reasonable for a rear bearing to go at this amount of miles?

I am in the mind of kicking up a fuss with Toyota with regard to this issue, the local dealer says that the reduced price is the best they can do, but the wife is just looking to get it fixed as soon as possible and is afraid of the wheel falling off ....... is it a bad idea for the car's health to stall the repair a week whilst I kick up a stink? She does about 30 miles a day in the car.

I just think it is a bit early for a bearing to go and peeved that it is out of warranty when new models have a 5yr warranty - anyone any idea when the 5yr warranty started?

Other than this, tis a great wee motor!

Thanks in advance,

Gavin

Hi Gavin, £115 is not a bad price for a toyota dealer to replace your bearing, i guess a independent would not be cheaper.So grab the offer with both hands.

Your miliage is a bit soon to fail but its Sods law its gone just after the warranty finished..

But should the other bearing fail soon after the first one, then you could claim that the bearings fitted to your car are from a bad batch.

Had a friend with much the same experiance with a Vauxhall. when both bearings went in a short time after his warranty ended. They replaced the second bearing free and refunded for the cost of replacing the first one.

Can't argue with that price they offered to repair it for, but I agree it is such a short time for a wheel bearing to last. Must've been an odd batch or something. Had my offside rear changed two years ago after it went Pete Tong though obviously at that time it was still under warranty. My car is also a 2008 model - is yours a 58 reg TR by any chance?

Cheers for replies lads! Agreed, can't argue with the price being asked for fixing it as I understand it should in and around the £300 ballpark. Just a bit disappointed that it has went relatively early in the wee cars life :( Ah well.

Adam, the Yaris is '08 but reg's are different over here so there's no 58 on the plate, tis a wee 1.4 D4D model :)

Thanks again folks!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links