Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Changing Gear Judder

aaronfife

This has been bothering me since day one. Nothing to do with the common 2nd gear issue so bare with me -

When releasing the clutch, the engine feels like it wants to jump out causing the whole car to judder. This isn't my erratic gear changes, the missus notices it too.

Would this be a soft engine mount causing this? Any advice would be great. I will be definitely upgrading whatever is causing this.

Apart from softened engine mounts, clutch judder is often due to oil contamination of the clutch linings, or even a failing clutch plate.

Aygos were/are known to have poorly built clutches and they caused a lot of trouble in the past.

Aygos have "basically" the same engine and transmission but not put together in Japan and therefore perceived to be not as reliable as the Japanese built IQs.

So Aygo clutch troubles should not affect IQs, but you could still get one with a dodgy clutch.

I would hope not at 12,000 miles!! Clutch feels perfect. I thought it wouldn't affect the clutch as its when u finally release it, the car moves. Unless u slowly (really slowly) take it out. Would that be under warranty? I've got 2 months remaining. Would be very very dissatisfied if it were to be a clutch failure

Clutch "failure" as opposed to wearing out, would be covered by warranty but it would have to be accepted by MrT that it was caused by faulty manufacture and not caused in some way by a user.

It is probably not that anyway, I just mentioned it as a possibility.

I think the Aygo clutch failures were accompanied by rattles etc and not just judders.

If the judder is caused by oil on the linings then that would be due to a failed oil seal which would be covered by warranty, but again it probably isn't the cause, I just mention it as a possibility.

Both my IQs have had slightly juddery clutches depending on how many revs I use and speed of release of the pedal.

Maybe they are a bit prone to it.

I expect MrT at Western would say "They all do that sir" (perhaps without the "sir").

Cheers dude. Useful info there. It's probably nothing drastic. Might consider uprating bushes/mounts in future. Mr T will most likely say its fine as mentioned... Not a fan of Western. Had terrible experience there so trying to go through Arnold Clark as have there warranty until Toyota one runs out.

Advice appreciated :)

I have noticed a similar thing on my 1.3 iQ with the manual gearbox, obviously. :)

It rarely happens though and it's only done it a few times since I've owned her, I have tried to make it happen too and can't replicate it so really not sure what it could be.

Wonder if they have dual mass flywheels?

Craig.

Im unsure Craig if IQs do or not. Just gets a bit annoying with the sloppy feel lol

Why not go to a local good mechanic and ask him to look at it or give it a test drive for you.

Or if you feel it needs to be a Toyota technician then 'Struan' Toyota in Perth or Dundee.

george

I'll be in Perth next week and was thinking exactly that. Asked mechanic at my work and he said it could be a mount but says its not a problem or anything to worry about so see how it goes :)

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links