Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tsport Serious Enigine Problem..help Please!

Chalkncfc

Ok so i was driving home from work today about a 4 mile journey and i was just getting back into the village where i live about a mile from home and i noticed a slight knocking/vibrating noise coming from the engine. I had my windows down and radio off and quickly the noise started to get much louder. Within about 1/4 of a mile the noise had become really loud and sounded like a horrible knocking and banging noise coming directly from the engine. The best way i can describe it is like putting a brick and a peice of metal into a tumble dryer shok.gif. Anyway i didnt notice any serious loss of power but to be fair i was just coasting the car. I then pulled over and stoped the engine was still idiling at 800 rpm and did not cut out so engine is not seized. The car was serviced a month ago with oil change, oil is toped up and checked reguly (and coolant) and there is no sign of a leak or any other damage in the enigine bay. The noise is coming directly from inside the engine cover. Engine temperature was fine and nothing else seemed wrong with the car. Mileage is 93000 miles. So guys....any ideas what might be wrong and as you can probaly tell i know very little about mechanics unfortunatly sad.gif Oh and if its the worst case senario how much is a new engine?. The car is a standard facelift Corolla Tsport VF04HWC. Thankyou.

Well it sounds awful

I wouldnt drive it anywhere.

Have a good look round the engine and underneath the car- maybe something has come loose?

If you cant see anything obvious then have it collected( not driven) and inspected at a garage of your choice.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I am getting a similar problem.

What was the conclusion of your problem?

I am having my car towed to a garage to be looked at under waranty.

Thanks

Rosh

So the noise is there when stationary as well even the clutch is engaged, so that would rule out a few things.

Does it sound like its coming from the bottom end, could be your big end bearings? I've only seen a few people on here with damaged cams etc, its a very well lubricated engine although failure of the oil pump has been known to be an issue.

These engines arent too cheap!

Well that sounds like engine knock to me - could be wrong but I wouldn't risk it with the symptoms you've decribed. This occurs due to irregular combustion in the cylinders but can be caused by many issues. I would hope for your sake it isn't but if I were you I would defo get a call out on it and not drive it anywhere. I certainly would not start the engine. Heavy knock can and usually does cause terminal engine damage.

It very odd because apart from the noise the car seems to run ok?

thanks everyone for the info it really helps.

ive had my cams replaced due to excessive wear on the lobes and you could here the folowers tapping on the lobes , i posted a thread with a video of the noise a while ago. doesnt sound anything like you describe though, just thought id mention it as someone mentioned cams above.

hope you get it sorted and it aint too serious. there seems to be someone selling nearly every part possible for our tsport on eBay , looks like hes broke down the whole car lol might save you a bit of cash.